Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
microwave bowls

Posted by Kitah4911 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:50

Is there a difference in the Tator batting and 100% cotton batting you use for microwave bowls or tator bags?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: microwave bowls

I've never heard of tater batting so just googled it.I made the microwave bowls and the tater bags and I just used 100% cotton batting.It holds up fine.
kathi

o

Thanks ,

o

My understanding is that the tater batting is 100% organic (no pesticides used in growing or processing), whereas the usual cotton batting is otherwise. Those concerned about the potential for food to absorb fumes will be careful to use 100% organic batting. I haven't learned of any other difference between the cotton batting sold specifically for microwave use and any other batting. Keep in mind that this potential also applies to the fabric used for quilting.

o

I researched these last year and found some reports of fires in the microwave. Just mentioning.

o

Some people in the Seeds & Stitches group which used to be on Round Robin Forum, made microwave potato bags using cotton batting and they caught fire in the microwave when used.

Best to you,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 13:57

o

If not using pure 100% cotton batting, there is a danger of fire. Read the batting label for the content carefully....some battings labeled as "cotton batting" contains a small percentage of polyester or some other man made fiber that will melt and/or catch fire. Hobbs and Warm and Natural are NOT 100% pure cotton. The "tater" batting is likely 100% cotton with absolutely no other fibers. Dream Cotton batting is also 100% cotton.
I have made and given away lots of these bowls, they are very well received but be extremely careful about the batting content. My first one (made for myself thank goodness) did catch fire and after careful research I now use only the proper batting.
Murphy

o

I had never heard about issues with fire.
Dh uses his almost daily,so far so good.Sure hope it stays this way.
Kathi

o

Warm Tater batting is pure cotton... no scrim. Most all cotton battings saying they're all cotton still contain scrim, and scrim is polyester. Without the scrim you'd have to quilt much closer together to keep the batting from separating. So, with the warm tater, you do have to quilt close together.

Anyway, it's the scrim that's flammable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here