Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

help with treadle machine

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Hi everyone. I remember reading here before that some of you are knowledgeable with regard to treadle machines. My boyfriend's grandmother just died and she had an old Singer treadle that she never used. It came with the house when they bought it in the 40s and she wasn't a sewer. I looked at it and the handwheel only turns halfway before getting stuck. I know it needs to be oiled. It's also missing the belt, so if anyone knows what kind I should get and how to install it, that would be greatly appreciated. Any other restoration techniques would be helpful too... I can't wait to start playing with this baby. How do I make it shiny again without hurting the paint? The cabinet is in great shape... I've never seen one so nice. In drawer was a box labeled "attachments" and there was also a Singer automatic zig zagger that I cant' wait to get my hands on and play with. I have a Nelco one for my old electric machine, but I've always been intrigued by the Singers. I'm not sure if it takes the shuttle kind of bobbin or the oscillating type, but if it's the shuttle kind, I'm going to be in the dark there too! I don't know much about really old machines. I had home ec for 3 years in school and I sold sewing machines for Sears back in 2001/2, but I'm nothing close to an expert. I'd appreciate any advice you all can give :o)

Here's a rather bad picture.... I only had my cell phone available.

Just for fun.... the sewing machines I have are both Brothers... one old and one new... and I love them both. I hope to add a treadle machine one day (boyfriend is keeping that one for sentimental reasons, so I can only play with it at his house, which is fine, it will give me something to do while he works on the computer, but there's nothing like having your own), and maybe an embroidery machine and serger in the distant future as I become more skilled.

The vintage one is my actual machine, but the PC-420 is just a stock picture.

Thank you :o)

Comments (3)