Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correction on Solstice Fact!

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 6:56

I stated that the toilets will flush backwards today, I messed up, it's the equinox when that happens. Got my celestial quirkies mixed up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correction on Solstice Fact!

Um.... you know that's a myth, right?

o

Yes, that is a myth. They only flush "backwards" in the southern hemisphere (and all of the time, not just the equinox).

o

I know, I know, there's stuff all over the Internet that it is a myth. But years ago, someone mentioned it at work and I thought is was a crock, but I tested it out the next day which was the equinox, and it was draining the opposite way. In fact, I kept checking it all day, then suddenly it reverted to normal after sometime in the afternoon. And when I told my son about it the next year, he said he checked and didn't see the difference. I guess it's only true for us weird toilet-gazers. LOL!

o

Sorry again, but even the southern hemisphere thing isn't true. Toilets will flush in whatever direction the water is streamed. Most toilets in Australia, for example, flush straight down, not clockwise or counterclockwise. Really. I'm not trying to be a problem. Look it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Common Misconceptions

o

I am absolutely about to have to change my undies from so much laughing, I searched online and there are not only over 81,000 items that hit on the search words "toilets flushing clockwise", there are even videos! I'm going to go and have my afternoon beer now. I truly needed this today!

o

Untouched water will, however, flow down a drain in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere than in the northern hemisphere. Coriolis effect and all that.

I'd put the link in the link box thing, but GW rejects anything that doesn't look like a 'real' link, casually ignoring the fact that there are other ways to have URLs, so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

(and also rejects some standard html, lovely)

o

Absolutely true. And the corliolis effect is evident in storms and air movement, as well as undirected water.

(Not sure why you can't get it to work so I added your wiki link for you.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coriolis effect

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here