Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

Little House on the Prairie

User
13 years ago

I have a dear friend who adores anything to do with Little House on the Prairie. Her most cherished possession is a pewter bread plate that was featured in either the book or show (or both).

I'd like to make her a quilt but don't know much about the subject. Did the characters ever work on a quilt or is there a quilt pattern that would identify strongly with the book/show?

Thanks, Dianne

Comments (12)

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

I did an online search for the Little House on the Prairie quilt and found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilder Museum

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

The red and white is lovely!!!!! I remember them using quilts, but I don't remember them actual making one.
    Rosa

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

The show is on the Hallmark station so you could try watching a few episodes and maybe catching a glimpse of what they used.
    I'm sure in real life quilts were very important to the family and many were made and used.
    Since they were a poor family I'm sure the quilts were not as elegant as many. They had a purpose and were made to be used.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

There was a book (now out of print) inspired by the book/series. The cover might give you some ideas, especially a house block.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt Pattern book

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is another link to a different book, Prairie Quilts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Quilts

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the links, ladies. I sent the museum an email asking if the quilt owned by Laura and her daughter Rose is the red and white one or the one on the bed. I also asked if they had a better picture of each.

I see they have the red and white pattern for sale and the Prairie-inspired book Teresa linked to. I'll let you know if they respond. I wonder if my library could get the Prairie book for me . . .

Hard to believe I'm considering starting a quilt while being neck-deep in the chaos of Christmas. Hmmmmmmm

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

In one source I read that a 9-patch scrap quilt was the first one that Laura made. A 12-inch house block surrounded by 9-patch scrap blocks in muted calico prints might be nice. The calico prints in muted colors were what the pioneers were wearing at this time in history.

Teresa

• sunnycentralfl
    13 years ago

To add to the pressure of this season:
    The map could be enlarged to any size, printed out on fabric and used as a medalion center. The center could then be surrounded by an inner border and go from there. I like Teresa's suggestion.

Don't feel pressured by starting a project now! I'm in the middle of a quiltville mystery quilt! Yikes! What was I thinking??? Clue 5 is Friday!

Gwen

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the response from the museum. I'm going to ask my library to get the book for me.

The quilt in the brochure is the Double Nine Patch Irish Chain quilt owned by Laura & her daughter Rose.
    You can find the pattern in the book Prairie Quilts by Johanna Wilson. Perhaps your local library may have it, or we have it for sale in our Gift Store for $21.99.
    I hope this helps you,

Amy Ankrum
    Director
    Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum
    330 Eighth Street
    Walnut Grove, MN 56180
    866-305-2872
    www.walnutgrove.org

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

What a neat idea, Dianne! My daughter and I are watching the whole series on DVD and there are many quilts in the episodes. We're in season 8!

Rebecca

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

If I'm not mistaken I think Eleanor Burns did a book on how to do the double nine patch Irish chain in a day.
    I'd check out Joann Fabric's for the book since they often have coupons this time of year which would cut the cost of the book.

• equilter
    13 years ago

Hey, Dianne,
    It's me - Eileen! I might have the Eleanore Burns book mentioned above. I'll take a look, let you know, and see you on the ninth!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County