Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

QOtD 12/4/11 - landscape quilts

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Landscape quilts:

Have you made one (pictures please!); would you make one; would you use an imaginary landscape or would you use a photo as inspiration?

Is the preferred method fusible applique, hand applique, or "other".

Kate

Comments (30)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I've used the method from Linda Crone's book to make landscape quilts. I took a class many years ago and have since taught this method. Some time back I had a class here on the forum.

I use fusible applique and decorative stitches on my Viking to hold down the applique. You can also use a very small zig zig stitch on the raw edges that are almost invisible. I use photos, cards, and calendars as inspiration.

NC State Fair for a guild show challenge - my own design inspired by a Rebecca Barker card

Ocean and lighthouse scene from a calendar (it's not as washed out as this photo shows!) a gift

Winter Scene - a gift - from a Christmas card

First project from the class, Linda Crone's book

Guild Show Challenge "Windows on the World" inspired by an image on Cornwallcam.com

Commissioned lighthouse design, probably from a calendar
    (lighthouses are a popular theme!)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

The landscape tutorial we had here (wish it was in the FAQ) was awesome. I think it was Teresa who guided us. She gave us a couple of pictures for ideas and then we did our own thing. I enjoyed doing it and really want to get it completed. I'll look for it today and see about getting a picture (as-is) up. I would like to do another one from a picture my brother took in Hawaii. Right now I feel very disorganized.......guess it's time to straighten up the sewing area again......sigh.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I'm one who can appreciate the talent and artist's 'eye' that is required, but I have no desire to do one. Just not my thing.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Teresa, We must have been posting at the same time. Sometimes it takes me a bit to post. Glad I remembered right that it was you who taught us. I think I need a gymnasium full of tables just to lay out all the projects I have in the works so I'd be able to find them without hauling out everything. I am so easily led when it comes to quilty projects......now I want to get my landscape out and finish it when I have other things that need to be completed first. *smile*

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Teresa, maybe when we all get past the Holidays you can advise us again. I missed your first one. February? March?

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Just checked to be sure I still had my PDF files available, so, yes! I can offer the class again in 2012.

Teresa

• itsmesuzq
    12 years ago

Teresa your quilts are beautiful! I've always wanted to make a landscape quilt. A special cousin gave me a 12" painting of a lighthouse that I would love to make into a landscape quilt (and then give it to him as a gift.)

I'll be watching for your class! Thanks so much for offering to do it again.

Susan

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful Teresa!!! I had such a problem with the 'cats' quilt when I tried to machine applique the small pieces and yours are even smaller.

I have Beth's 'Hand Applique by Machine' but I need so much more practice.

I have saved a F&P on landscape quilts but I haven't watched it yet.
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Not sure these qualify but I did them a few years ago. I have several others but they were done from someone elses patterns.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think they definitely qualify! Beautiful! I would like to do one of my house, but I have another scene in mind of the farmland around where I grew up in North Dakota that I have to do first.

Have you seen the work of Renske Helmuth? Really amazing landscape quilts.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Renske Helmuth

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

Count me in too Teresa! I have always been interested in Landscape quilts from the very first time I saw some quilts. I needed to learn how to make regular quilts and get techniques correct, but feel up to the challenge of a landcape. I don't have a lot of fancy stitches on my machine. I've been doing crazy patchwork and English piecing, so I think I could try doing a landscape quilt - with your guidance.

Kristene

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Beverly posted a picture from the Chapel at Camp Cheerio that might work for a project.

I've looked for my landscape and can't find it. I know it's safe.....somewhere!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

In February I will post a thread giving the detail of the class. I'll have a supply list and ask for you to contact me by email so that I can send you the PDF files for two projects.

Do you want to keep all the directions contained on one thread or do you want each step to have it's own separate thread?

I did a search to see if I could find the previous class...but, of course, GW search didn't go back far enough.
    Teresa

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Here's mine:

This one isn't landscape,but reverse applique.

I have some others,just can't find them at the moment.I need to re-organize my photobucket albums.

All the quilts shown are lovely.TFS
    kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

On my landscape one i took the class from Linda Schmidt(sp) she came to our guild and taught a class.She has been on sewing with nancy,and teaches at Quilt University.

I dyed my sky fabrics myself,used a shimmery organza type for the water,and the birds i did with a pigma pen.She also taught us how to do free motion embroidery on the wash away stabilizer,we all did trees,then washed off the stabilizer,and some of the gals appliqued the finished tree to their landscape piece.I still have mine here in a drawer someplace.

My one BFF and i used to take classes all the time,at the guild,stores,peoples homes or wherever they were offered.
    Kathi

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda Schmidt's work is very detailed and beautiful! I love the vibrant colors she uses.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I've been wanting to make a landscape quilt, but haven't quite gotten the nerve up to start it. The one I'd like to do has a Halloween theme, complete with the haunted house on a hill, bats, ghosts, a graveyard, etc. And yes, it's all in my head. Someday I'll start working on it and get if finished. Maybe in Teresa's class!

Please keep posting ladies, all of these quilts are great to see!
    Dan

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

The thing to do, Dan...and everyone, is to look for a greeting card, image on a calendar, drawing from a book, landscape on the internet, or whatever has the look of what you have in your head. Even if it is a quilt pattern that has the look you want, you can print out that image on a computer, enlarge it a little, then use it for your inspiration. When you are finished, it won't be that quilt pattern made by Pattern Co. X - it will be your creation, that was in your head.

If you enter it in a show or post it on the internet, you can always give credit to the original artist, designer or photographer - just as I did in the photos above.

Teresa

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I've got a 3 day weekend coming up beginning with christmas day, so I think I'm going to just make the plunge, and go for it. Here are the 3 pix/quilts I'm getting my ideas from...

I like the dreariness in the first picture, the "house on a hill" effect in the 2nd one, and how the bare trees frame up the 3rd one with the witch in the skies. I'm going to add in flying bats and ghosts, a graveyard, rickety fencing, and a full moon, and possibly more. It's going to be an ambitious one, especially for a first attempt. But, when I did my bargello quilt I didn't start on a small scale with that one, just jumped right in and went for it. We'll see how it goes. I think I'll go through my fabric tonight and see what I have to use in it. Wish me luck!
    Dan

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Those are all cool, Dan! Like the sky in the first - use a marbled batik with light and dark areas present. I like the house in the second, but I'd make the hill more of a hill, like in the third. Love the effect of the dark tangled branches below the house/hill in the third.

Teresa

• calliope
    12 years ago

I absolutely refuse to let you guys enable me into a landscape quilt! I'm crumbling, because I used to wonder why anyone would make one. Then I actually went to not one but TWO landscape quilt shows! Then I was given a large box of long lengths of quilt fabric.........the victim of that person moving and downsizing and in it I found: a section of brown and tan with a tree bark design. A section of blue sky cotton with clouds on it. Another section of blue material with what looked like rippling water, and some green print with tiny leaves on it. I guess you all know what was going through my mind. Huh?

• msmeow
    12 years ago

This is one (well, three really) I saw at the Mancuso quilt show last month. It was made by a lady in South Africa, I think.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Finally found the landscape (UFO) I started in Teresa's class, and I wasn't even looking for it! Isn't that just the way it is.....

Mine is not as good as those posted, but here it is anyway.

SharonG/FL

• imn2crafts
    12 years ago

Hello all you fantastic quilters/sewers. I am new to the quilting site, but not to THS. I am in such awe over these landscape quilts all of these and ones I have seen. I actually have one I bought long time ago that hangs in my spare bedroom. Now I need inspiration to make one(never have) one for my granddaughter's 16th BD. Any generic ideas out here that anyone can help me with...Thanks D

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Welcome D, they are great, aren't they. I would make your GD one that reminds her of a favorite place, beach, mountains, woods, ...

beverly

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Wow!
    Someday I may try that artistic approach.
    Until then I am enjoying all your project photos!

Julie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Stay tuned.......the last I heard, Teresa might be starting her landscape class right here on the forum next month! @:)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think Teresa is going to start her class soon!

Welcome D - have you thought about using a photo as inspiration for your gd's quilt? Maybe someplace from a shared vacation?

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

imn2crafts, a quilt for your GD could reflect her interests and favorite things. If you can get outgrown clothes you could include some of those fabrics in the quilt. Make a list of symbols/items you want to include and then plan your design accordingly.

I made this quilt on commission for a 13 yr. old young teen. The blue shorts on the line were cut from her favorite pair of pants as a 4 yr. old when the family lived in France. The banner pulled by the plane has words of inspiration from her parents. The mom wanted a "beach" theme.

On the back I included things like high heels and a karate kicking figure to reflect other interests.

• imn2crafts
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the inspirations, I do not draw well but I can look at some pictures of those things, maybe vacations and such. She is always smiling and is a cheerleader and takes dance so I can go from there...Thanks again D

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County