Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question regarding squaring up blocks

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 1:44

These blocks are 13 1/2" square.

I do not have a large square ruler this size.

What will be the best way to square these blocks up?

I do have the large cutting mat. Would I somehow lay the finished block on the mat and place two of the corner points on this diagonal line and trim from there?
I know I am not explaining this very well but perhaps you can understand what I am trying to ask.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question regarding squaring up blocks

If this question is about your Disappearing 9 Patch.....
I would do as Sharon does:
"I square up the 4 pieces to make sure they're all the same size then sew them together. I'm in the process of making one, too."
This method will allow you to square smaller sized blocks.

After they are resewn together, I would resquare the larger block, by making a template the correct size (13.5") out of something light weight if you do not have template plastic. I would mark the center, diagonal lines and any other lines you may find helpful if you cannot see thru your template. Use a ruler to cut - not the template.
Visually, the lines on the cutting mat are a guide, but I never use them for cutting-just me.

o

For larger blocks I line the centers up on lines on my mat then use a smaller ruler to trim...for instance if a block is 12-1/2" I line up the centers along lines on my mat then use a ruler to trim 6-1/4" on either side of the center line.

Donna

o

I don't use the mat lines for cutting either, Marsha.

If the size of the block is larger than the 12 1/2 inch square ruler I have, then I do as Donna does. In fact, I do it that way most of the time which makes sure the center is really the center of the block. It makes it easier for the quilters to quilt when it's as exact as we can make it.

SharonG/FL

o

I have some see through heavy plastic that I purchased last year. I can use a black marking pen to cut it to size and be able to see this though my ruler. Thanks for the tips.

Wish I had some plexi glass but this will work and I will lay my large 24" ruler on top of them when ready to trim.

o

My blocks looked fairly square so went ahead and sewed the four blocks together. So need to square the 13 1/2" It will work with your suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here