Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Which sewing machine tote?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I'd like to have a rolling tote and am trying to find one under $100. But all the ones I have found with reviews seem to be cheaply made and have a short lifespan before something breaks.

Do you have one? which one and how is it holding up? I'd only be taking it to a group meeting once or twice a month.

Comments (8)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I understand wanting to get an inexpensive one Marti, but you know you get what you pay for! That said, I had one of those from JoAnn's that looks like upholstery fabric (a floral design). I got it either on sale or with a coupon so it was well under $100. It lasted a couple of years then one of the wheels broke.

Now I have another I got at JoAnn's for around the same price. It's solid black with tan trim. It opens at the top rather than the front folding down, and so far seems much better made. I've had it for a while and it seems to be in great shape.

Donna

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I know some have purchased rolling tool bags similar to this one. Some have extra boxes that can be stacked and they should last a long time.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling tool box

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have one of the floral, tapestry ones from Joanns. I've had it for 10 years maybe, use it 3-4 times per year, and it's done just fine.

I agree that cost equates to quality BEFORE coupons! Find some good coupons or sales and let that take the price down into your price range.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

How big is the sewing machine you are going to travel/take to the meetings?
    I bought an upholstered one from my dealer made by Hemline. It is better quality than the totes sold at JoAnn's. It gets abused, and hasn't broken yet, but clumsy, and I don't take it far. I also have to use the hard case to protect the machine. Basically, I don't care for it & its ugly!
    What I travel with, and LOVE, with my smaller machines is a Travel Pro rolling tote. Mine fits under an airplane seat. I would like to buy a larger one to replace the upholstered one.
    This is a perfect time to shop for these kinds of sales on luggage. I bought mine at Tuesday Morning for $59.00.

I like what Beverly linked to. I saw something similar at Home Depot-maybe Husky brand(?). It was on a high shelf, and I was in a hurry, so I wasn't able to inspect it closely.

If you think outside the box, you'll find something well under your budget, sturdier and better constructed. Make sure the wheels are designed for concrete and curbs, and the telescoping handles are smooth. Handles on the body are good for lifting out of the car.

Let us know what you buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling tote

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I think the link below is the Tote at Home Depot I saw.
    It came in 3 sizes, so you would have to check the interior size carefully.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD Tote

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I'll check these out.

$100 or less because my mom needs a Christmas list from me and I can't think of anything I want except a tote and we agreed not to go over $100. If I get out today, I'll check out the Home Depot one.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I've always just used what they called a luggage tote,that I've had for years,used to be used for luggage before they started putting wheels on luggage.

I no longer go to classes,but it still gets used when I come home from the grocery store with cases of water,just load them on it and roll them to the garage.Also use it when taking a lot of pkgs to the PO.

Don't remember what I paid for it,but have certainly got my moneys worth out of it.
    Actually,now that I think of it it may have been 83-84 when I got it,as I got my Bernina in 83 and that was too heavy for me too carry back and forth to classes.
    kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I've always just used what they called a luggage tote,that I've had for years,used to be used for luggage before they started putting wheels on luggage.

I no longer go to classes,but it still gets used when I come home from the grocery store with cases of water,just load them on it and roll them to the garage.Also use it when taking a lot of pkgs to the PO.

Don't remember what I paid for it,but have certainly got my moneys worth out of it.
    Actually,now that I think of it it may have been 83-84 when I got it,as I got my Bernina in 83 and that was too heavy for me too carry back and forth to classes.
    kathi