Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

where do you buy your fabric

finchelover
14 years ago

I recently read that some of you don't like Joann's or Hancock's so where do you buy your fabric. Do you have a favorite quilt shop?

Comments (19)

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I do have a local quilt shop, and I do use them. I will go to Walmart or Hancock's occasionally, especially if there is a good sale. Jo-Ann's is too far away. I might go more often, but the shop "culture" is just too annoying to deal with.

Whe I do order on-line, I shop Hancock's of Paducah, which is no relation to Hancock's Fabrics.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I do not have a local quilt shop. Hancock and Hobby Lobby are the closest shops to me and they are about 45 miles. I don't dislike the fabric at Hancock, ours just isn't carrying much quilt fabric these days, but I do shop there. Hobby Lobby is a bit more expensive and doesn't have a large selection, but the fabric is good. I have gotten some there also. There is a new Joann's, but it is 60 miles. Most of my fabric I get online, and for the most part I have been pleased. On line I use Hancock's of Paducah, Keepsake, Fabric.com, Connecting Threads, and Quilting Cottage.

beverly

• salijo
    14 years ago

I buy almost all of my fabric online from thousandsofbolts.com. Very good prices.

Salijo

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I am so fortunate to have two local quilt shops very close by so shop at both of them. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion. I do buy muslin, backing fabric, needles, thread and batting from Joann's however.

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I have lots of quilt shops (San Francisco area) but they are so very expensive now days. I go there for certain special things. I also shop online a lot. I buy batting or muslin from JoAnns but they don't carry my favorite threads. Their fabric is getting better now days but a LQS still inspires as they have quilts and patterns that gives you a warm, fuzzy creative mood. I've gotten lots of large pieces for backings at a thrift store.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Batting, muslin, books and FQs for small projects come from Joann's. The primary fabrics for big quilts come from LQS or from on-line purchases. I use all of the online places that have been discussed on this forum, including Hancocks of Paducah, thoughsandsofbolts, magicquilter, connectingthreads and equilter.com. Whenever I get to Washington DC I go to Jinny Beyer's shop and G Street Fabrics where I load up on enough sale fabrics to make a couple quilts.

Yeah, I'm a fabric junkie.

Kate

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

When we travel I visit every quilt shop along the way, (anothe junky) but at home I usually go to the LQS or look online. Hancock of Paducah gets a lot of my business for backs, good selection and quality. There are others I like as well, eg. Connecting threads, Fabric Shack , Keepsakes. Jayne

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Don't mean to sound like a fabric snob, but LQS is just about the only place I will buy quilt fabric. The quality is not to be beat - no prewashing needed as they aren't soaked with sizing at the mfg like some of the cheaper fabrics are & the colors never bleed. Just makes sewing w/them an awesome experience, & the end result is better too. I have purchased online, but usually only if I know the fabric, or mfg (I like/NEED!) to touch it before buying! Batting & notions can come from JoAnn's - after all, 40 & 50% coupons cannot go to waste! lol They don't carry the large Gutterman thread that I like, but I stock up when it goes on sale (rarely does, tho) at a LQS. My friends & I will make a day of it once in awhile & hit as many shops as we can in a one day trip. My DH is also great about stopping when we travel. Gotta love him!!
    If someone has never used the quilt-shop-only fabrics before, I strongly urge you to treat yourself & try them - it just makes a world of difference.

~Cindy

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

I am new at quilting, but I do buy from Walmart& online......but mostly from a local quilt shop...they carry a huge line of moda fabrics, among others, but I find I am usually drawn to Moda....expensive, but I love that they put the coordinating fabrics all together....that is one of my challenges...putting the right fabrics together......
    My sister shows me different techinques when she comes to visit from virginia, so that also helps me try new things!

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hi Deb from PA,

If I could share a hint as what you've mentioned, putting the right fabrcis together is a real challenge? (I have a textile & art school background, so some unusual views of working with fabrics & color.)

I discovered a few years ago that if one finds a nice print w/ 3-5 secondary colors in it, one can then also use the secondary colors in one's palette for the overall design. It makes for an almost automatically harmonous blend of colors. I consider it almost a bit of design cheat, but it really works well.

I'm spoiled on buying fabrics: have the BEST LQS in NYC, The City Quilter (they have an online store as well). Having a textile background originally, I HAVE to touch the fabrics.

I've also recently come to appreciate, use & enjoy some pre-grouped fabrics. It happened I came across a group of Moda several years ago that I loved & bought.

Still, I like being able to make the groupings myself ... sometimes it's the most fun part for me.

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

I purchase some of my fabrics at my LQS, but not always. I find the cost is too high for my budget, but I can always stop in and pick up a small piece to augment what is in my stash and what I need to make my piece really "pop".

I much prefer to purchase from Fabric.com for the majority of my material. Why? Because I can count on them to provide me with top quality at a considerably better price. I frequently get a discount above and beyond their listed price because I shop there so often. I also find that the quality of the fabrics I get there are top notch, so I can shop with confidence.

The only downside (for me) is that they do not always carry everything from a particular line, or sometimes I don't see something I love until it's too late to get it (*sad*). But their customer service and quality trumps my local JoAnns any day, and every time I have ever had a question or a problem, they are wonderful to deal with. Their customer service rocks my world and I love them to pieces! (quilt pieces, that is!)

Odessa

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

I get most of my fabric from the LQS. Today we are visiting DD in Columbus and went to the Red Rooster shop. They are having an after Christmas sale, 40% off all Christmas fabrics, kits, etc. I bought a jelly roll,two co-ordinates, and a pattern.
    I do buy at Joanne's at times but prefer the LQS. Moda is my favorite.
    Linda OH

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

pirate girl.....thanks for the info...I will definetly remember this...got so much fabric upstairs...seems like NOTHING goes together. so with this info in mind, I will try to tackle more projects....THANKS!

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

I am soooo looking for a fabric with roosters on it..a friend of mine loves red roosters, and I really wanted to make something special for her.......does anyone know of any places to find this? I plan to go to the quilt shop on Monday, but if I dont find it there, I am outta luck
    Thanks
    I did see rooster fabric online with a chicken wire background.......really liked that!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Deb, try Keepsakequilting.com and equilter.com. Search on each for rooster and I'm sure you'll find several pieces!

Kate

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

yay..thanks kate

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooster panel - 60% off!!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I meant to say:
    Here's a rooster panel and it's on sale!
    Kate

• Deb_from_Pa
    14 years ago

oh, that is cute......thanks so much!