Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Nov. 21-23

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I have been sewing small drunkards path blocks together this week. I cut them from a layer cake and white Kona. It makes a total of 336 (3 1/2 inch) blocks. I have the small DP die for my Go cutter. I had planned to make this before we moved but life got so crazy during the summer that I am just now starting to work on it. I have almost half of them sewn and want to finish them before the Bonnie Hunter mystery starts the day after Thanksgiving.
What are your plans for the Thanksgiving holiday? Our son and his family are coming on Wed. and staying till Sunday. We are all going to DD's ( about one mile from our house) for dinner on Thursday. It will be so nice to not have to travel for the holidays. It is also nice to have more room when we are all together since only DS's family will be staying here
Are you sewing this weekend?

Comments (19)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I finally got my BIL's quilt quilted so it just needs binding...that's on the agenda for this weekend.

I have to work 1/2 a day on Monday then I'm off the rest of the week. We'll probably go see my Mom on Thurs morning then DH's family is having a gathering in the afternoon.

I plan to spend most of the rest of the time sewing! LOL Not going to start Bonnie's mystery, though I will save the steps.

Donna

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Probably - it's been chilly and it might rain some so what else is there to do? I'm working up a quilt with some wagon wheel blocks in it. But while I was cutting out the large curved part I realized that the quarter circle that is cut out of it could also be used so it might wind up being a mix of wagon wheels and drunkard's path blocks.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I have a couple of projects going that should be ready by Xmas. One needs to be delivered when I fly to Portland Dec 4th to be in place by Xmas so that one gets action first, FMQ on a small Amish quilt. I'll post all that soon. The second can be done by Dec 20th.

I'm also ready for Bonnie Hunter's mystery. So, having some of these things moved along will be helpful. My sewing room looks so organized and clean (for the first time in years) that I wander in and just stare at it. Won't last long.

Don't have to travel for TG but will be off to Boulder for Xmas.

• polardream
    9 years ago

I am hoping to finish a king-size quilt my mom is giving to my nephew & wife for Christmas. (Yes, I said, "Sure, Mom, I will quilt that for you.") ANYWAY, I have the quilting finished, now just need to trim it and make the binding & label.

I would like to get it done this weekend, but we are having our Thanksgiving tomorrow. DS & wife are going to Disneyworld for their 1 year anniversary & leaving Wednesday, so we will have ours tomorrow. Later I will be making pies & sweet potatoes, the rest will happen tomorrow. Guess it will be DH & the dogs and a relaxing Thanksgiving for us!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Maybe.....I've been so cold I just sit on the couch all covered up but need to get to the grocery store today. I want to get some leader/enders ready to use when I start the mystery......I'm not too happy with all the fabric I've put together for the mystery, but, oh well.....might change it out......again. :-)

More than ever, I feel compelled to be with family for Thanksgiving so will probably go to DD's in-laws for that day if we can get the grandson to drive.

SharonG/FL

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

I'm working, but after work, I plan to put borders on this.... I did it yesterday as part of the "getting acquainted" with my new hand crank machine process... it's kinda fun to sew without electricity! I put the machine on my lap and sewed in the recliner!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I'm throwing a Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow for us here in the house and my stepson/DIL/grandson. Step-daughter has been invited too, but it's been 3 years since we last saw her, so don't expect her to come.

Chocolate cream pie is done, bread has been broken for stuffing, cheesecake has been bought. Tomorrow will start with stuffing mixture, and pumpkin pie. Have to figure out when the 22lb turkey needs to go in.

Probably not much sewing getting done tomorrow, and DH has to work on Sunday, so I'll probably spend the day in the 65 degree weather raking MORE leaves! (I put out 18 black trash bags from last Sunday's raking of the front yard only, and it looks like I didn't touch it. Haven't even thought of the backyard yet!)

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I'm throwing a Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow for us here in the house and my stepson/DIL/grandson. Step-daughter has been invited too, but it's been 3 years since we last saw her, so don't expect her to come.

Chocolate cream pie is done, bread has been broken for stuffing, cheesecake has been bought. Tomorrow will start with stuffing mixture, and pumpkin pie. Have to figure out when the 22lb turkey needs to go in.

Probably not much sewing getting done tomorrow, and DH has to work on Sunday, so I'll probably spend the day in the 65 degree weather raking MORE leaves! (I put out 18 black trash bags from last Sunday's raking of the front yard only, and it looks like I didn't touch it. Haven't even thought of the backyard yet!)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Does cleaning off the cutting table, putting away some bits from the last quilts and pulling fabric for the next project count?
    Might actually get to that project later today or tomorrow.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I'm sitting here in the midst of chaos, trying to figure out what to keep, what to throw. I'm having extra shelving put in my office/sewing room closet, so I had to clean out the closet. I'm really not complaining, because I am so lucky to have all this stuff, but I'm having trouble combining a home office with a sewing room. I just sit and stare into the closet like a big dummy. I need to figure out what configuration of shelves, drawers, etc., I need, but I'm not coming up with any ideas. I think I need an imagination injection.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I may hand piece a granny square quilt block this weekend and getting crocheted bookmarks made. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Lois,
    I so understand...I have the same situation to some extent. I have a decent size room which contains my sewing table. My sewing table is a flat door from lowes, sitting on top of two saw horses...it's perfect for me, kinda divided into 3 sections, cutting, sewing and ironing. Then there's the desk where I have my laptop that normally is covered with quilting "stuff", then I have an old sofa, bookcase and a large closet with lots of shelving for the "the stash" .

Periodically the room gets organized and cleaned and it works great! It's when I failed to put stuff in its place that I'm ready to discard the sofa, but my friends convinced me it's an important part of my space, (naps, chill time, girl chat) so it stays.

Having shelving in your closet will be your salvation...Without that, I'd never be able to find anything!

Have fun putting your room together...it will be your escape pod...sanctuary...or whatever you wish to call it!

V.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

My wonderful friend, Jed, who remodeled our kitchen and two baths, replaced sliding doors and rebuilt our two decks just left. He had suggestions for the closet, so he will buy the supplies tomorrow and install everything on Tuesday. He's also putting up a new night fixture that will produce 4000 lumens, plenty for a 9x10 room. I feel so much better. I will be able to get everything organized next week. Yippee! Maybe then I can start quilting again.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

No quilting for me this weekend or week. Celebrating Jim's 60th b'day and our 39th anniversary. Looking forward to a great visit with wonderful friends.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

We had a successful Thanksgiving dinner. My step-daughter DID show with her boyfriend (& baby-to-be's daddy). He was a pleasant sort. The kids were all very excited to see her after 3 years!

Things are all cleaned up, kids all put to bed. I am exhausted! I get to look forward to raking leaves tomorrow...oh, joy.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Jen, just be grateful you aren't shovelling snow!
    We didn't get all the leaves done before the snow came. Now i know what is on the spring agenda.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Kate, happy anniversary! And happy birthday to your DH! My brother and his wife are having their 50th anniversary in a few days.

Lois, enjoy organizing your new closet! It sounds great. Our pantry is shallow, with wire shelving and bifold doors. DH & I have decided we're going to create some new kind of storage space, but that's as far as we've gotten! LOL Wire shelving in a pantry is a really dumb idea...bottles and small boxes are always falling over.

Donna

• jackier123
    9 years ago

Happy Anniversary Kate and Happy Birthday to Jim. Jen, I am so glad your stepdaughter did show up. No matter what the differences we have, we still need to stay in touch with family. I finished quilting the Scrap Crystals quilt that I was working on at retreat. I hope to get it bound today.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Donna, I was looking back through the archives to see pictures from the retreat.... I'd missed seeing those since work was so crazy during that time and I noticed your post about looking for a new job... how did that turn out?