Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquadragonfly

Good Find? Singer Sewing Machine 247

aquadragonfly
11 years ago

My bf was out yesterday and happened upon a yard sale. There was this Singer Sewing Machine Model 247 there an he asked the lady how much she wanted for it....she said she had been asking 20.00 but what would he give for it...he said 10.00.... she said ok.

The needle was broken so he changed that, then tried to sew. It wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread, so he figured out how to make that work, then it skipped stitches when sewing so he looked up how to get it back in time and he fixed that and NOW IT SEWS!!!

Not sure how I will like it, but I got an older model for 10.00 bucks and I don't think that is something to shake a stick at and I am very impressed that he was able to get it sewing again!

I found a pic on ebay of what it looks like, mine is in really good condition, it doesn't have any nicks or missing paint and it came with a hard case. BUT the case is cracked but that's ok too, once I get it put in my table we picked up for a dollar I won't need the case anyway!

:) Aqua

Comments (25)

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Looks like a great find. Sew happy!

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

That's a cool old machine, congrats! I hope it serves you well!

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

My guess is that it was made in the 60's or 70's. A great find!
    If you can find the serial number, there is a site that will tell you when it was made...........but it really doesn't make a difference, as long as it works!
    I am so impressed with your BF...he is a keeper!

• aquadragonfly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I was so hoping it was a good find and apparently it was! At a grand price too! I haven't sewn on it yet but he did some sample stitches for me an I at least know what it will do.
    It is a simple machine but it is all I need until I learn more about sewing.
    Does anyone know if I would be able to use it for quilting?

Thanks again, I so value everyone's opinion here, and it helps so much to have feedback!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

You can't beat the price on that...good find by a good friend.
    I grew up on a singer that is older than the one shown. I don't think I'm an expert, but I suspect if you can find your quarter inch seam, piecing should be fine. As for quilting...I dunno, perhaps some stitch in the ditch...do give it a try! congratulations!
    V.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Search or read the manual to see if the feed dogs can be dropped for free motion quilting. If not, then try to find an even feed foot so you could do straight line stitching. This is one of those early models that probably weighs a ton and is a real workhorse. You might want to get the wiring and electrical cord checked out by a knowledgeable "sewing machine guy."

I have a Singer Fashion Mate, model 237, from 1969 - a college graduation gift from my parents. That machine was well used for about 20 years and just needs a tune-up to keep going for another 20 years.

Teresa

• aquadragonfly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Teresa, and YES it is REALLY heavy but I am glad to have it. I hope I can use it for quilting and it did come with the book I was very surprised about that.

littlehelen, I was glad he got the machine working at all I really didn't think he would but I am happy to have an older model I know they do tend to work better then a lot of the newer machines and I don't need it to really do anything fancy yet.

I am very pleased with it although I still have not tried to sew on it yet we have to get it set up and we started moving things around in this tiny house today so we can make room for me to have a sewing corner!
    Ima happy camper about that!

I just need a few things and I will be set. Good thread and even better lighting and I will be in business! (are the 2 most important things for me at the moment)

Thanks again ladies for your inputs! Sorry I haven't been back here lately just haven't been in the mood as of late....

• lilypad22
    11 years ago

I had one like that in 1975 only my model had a door on top where the decorative stitch cams would snap in place. It was a wedding gift from my mom. I used that machine until 5 years or so ago when it died and could not be repaired. If your husband seen the online manuel then he probably oiled it under the top, under the bottom and inside where the needle rod moves? It will run much better after oiling. Move the wheel on top to the "darn" position to free motion, I'm not sure if this lowers the feed dogs or just lostens the tention.

My old Singer "find" was free. My husbands aunt had this machine someone gave her. She doesn't sew and knows I sew and asked if I wanted it, if not she was going to throw it out in the trash bin. Well, I took it because I hated to see it get trashed. It sat around for a year...then my current sewing machine had to go visit "Dr Joe" last week. So I thought, lets see what this old Singer is. Well I opened the case, and its a gem. Doesn't look like it was ever used, its late 1960's. Fashion Mate 237. Isn't that funny, 2 people now on this thread have the same old singer model! I found a manuel online, oiled it up...threaded it correctly, figured out the side bobbin case and it works really nice. I was pretty surprised. Its an older version of the one pictured above except it does not have that round wheel for stitch size and reverse, it has a lever. And boy, all metal is Heavy! The good news is it will fit in my old 1975 sewing machine cabinet!

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad your husband got it working. I really was sad when my 1975 one died...it was family, my mom bought it for me..it needed gears and would just cost too much in labor to repair.

tish

• colleenny
    11 years ago

Great find. The older Singers are really the best. They are workhorses. Good Luck with it. Colleen

• aquadragonfly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice Story Tish! and tfs...I love to hear stories about old things like this.

Thanks Colleen!

I still haven't used it yet. I will have to get him to oil it, wasn't even thinking about it might need it I am sure it will.
    I hate to see people throw out the older machines, if they still work I know they are the best.
    YES it is HEAVY as all get out BUT, if you are putting it in a table without intentions of moving it around then it doesn't matter how heavy the machine is an sometimes that comes in handy too!

I am glad to know I have my own power horse of a machine I can't wait to be able to use it.
    If anyone read my other thread on the Robin Round forum you know I have developed fast growing cataracts and am waiting on getting things situated for surgery.
    Which is one reason I haven't been back here, since my last posting, it is hard for me to read post sometimes. I can't always see the words clearly and I have to wait for good days to see well enough to read.

Anyway, thanks for the replies I do appreciate feedback.

• Richard Doucette
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I got the same one for free but in a table the place we are moving into there's one the last person that lived there left it and because we told the landlord we would clean out what they left we could keep anything we wanted but I'd like to know what it's worth

• trouzernc
    8 years ago

The older machines from the 60's and 70's are great finds for not much money if you stumble upon one..... like you did. Unfortunately, they don't command a high resell price, not like the Featherweights or the treadle machines that are older. If the machine is in good working order and you have the table that goes with the model, then that is a plus. If you want to keep the machine for yourself, then I would spend the money to get it in good working order. Call around in your area and find a repairman that works on old Singer machines. Be sure to get the wiring checked and possibly replaced as the age of the electrical cord could cause problems and may be dangerous.

See this machine at: http://sewingonline.co.uk/machines/singer247/

A Google search for this machine found the threading diagram, parts, and manuals online.

Teresa

• fladinizc
    8 years ago

My mom-in-law gave me a Singer 247c last summer and I absolutely love it. It is easy to use and fix. You are going to love it. Here's a link to fix the timing if you need http://www.sewconsult.com.

• 01sweetheart2006
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My Mother in law passed her Singer 247 down to me. This is first sewing machine. Teaching myself how to sew. This machine is in my opinion the best. Easy to work with and on. Just replaced an gear. Hope you love your seeing machine as much as I do!

• bkay2000
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Don't you just love the old machines? I have an old Singer 401 that I bought at auction for $45.00. I must have spent 25 hours working on it, cleaning and oiling, as many functions were frozen up. I'm so happy I did. I just brought it in the house to use as my main machine a few days ago. I'm so pleased with it. I just quilted my first wheel chair quilt on it yesterday, using a walking foot. It's definitely a keeper.

You should be able to download a free manual for it from Ismacs.net or singerco.com.

bkay

• Shirley Joseph
    3 years ago

I just found a model 247 and it don't have the foot controller pedal. How do i find one?

• maxie vaz
    2 years ago

I want downside belt for machine zigzag singer where will I find n what is the cost of the

• bkay2000
    2 years ago

What is a downside belt? Whatever it is, you will probably find it at sewingpartsonline.com. Another resource that might be helpful is https://www.quiltingboard.com/. Post to the vintage sewing machine forum. You will have to join, but it's free.

bkay

• HU-326192671
    last year

I have an old singer also a 3102 but it stopped working the motor runs but won't engage the needles. I thought it was the belt I bought a new one but that didn't help. Ever so often if I try to adjust the belt it will start but the next time I try to use it it won't work. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong & where I could get it fix

• bkay2000
    last year

Depending on the age of the machine, it might be fixable. I would oil it well, and see if that helps. It might just be sticking because the old oil has dried up and gummed up the machine. When you turn the hand wheel, does the needle go up and down?

The stop on the hand wheel might be on backwards. If you haven't taken it off, then that is not the problem. (That's the metal part that you unscrew to wind a bobbin.)

I think about the mid 1960's, they started using plastic parts which would be dying about now. I have a Touch and Sew from the early 70's that still works, but it's been lightly used and always stored in the air conditioning.

If you have a sewing machine repair shop, they should be able to repair it. I'm in Dallas, and I go to Mr. Sewing Machine on Harry Hines. They are a Baby Lock dealer, but repair all brands of machines. Just call around and see who will work on it.

There are a couple of internet sites you might be able to get help. One is victoriansweatshop.com and the other is quiltingboard.com (vintage machine section). Both of these sites are generally good for finding info on older machines, but your machine might not be old enough to get help there.

I don't do Facebook, but they should have some groups that might be able to help you. Look for Singer groups. Also, groups.io has some Singer sewing machine groups.

Sorry I couldn't help more. All of my sewing machines are older than yours and I'm just not familiar with it at all. I'll check back and see if any of this was any help.

bkay

• HU-326192671
    last year

It is not the oil we cleaned & oiled it to make sure

• bkay2000
    last year

So, does the needle move when you turn the handwheel?

• HU-326192671
    last year

Yes it does