Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

2015 Block Lotto At a Glance

polardream
9 years ago

This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance to those who have slow-loading computers. Each month there will also be a separate posting for that month, as we've always done. This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many, or as few, lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:
- each month there will be a designated block, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

- all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

- you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Blocks are to be mailed to Linda. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at linda at schultz-assoc .com

I will post the sign-up for the January Block in December if you want to get a jump on it! Happy stitching.

Sue/Polardream

We've tried to pick blocks that are fun and interesting and simple enough so that you can complete up to three of them in an evening or two. It's our intent that you can use fabric from your stash, without having to go buy something new with the exception of AUGUST where I have specified KONA BLACK because blacks vary so much and we want the blocks to have some consistency. A certain amount of variation is great and it's what gives these group quilts their depth and character, but please, try to stay close enough to the themes so your blocks 'play well with others'.

Note:
- Where it says 'white,' that means solid white, white-on-white, or even a white with a very little bit of color print as long as it reads as white.
- Where it says off-white, beige, cream or tan that means any variation of beige; solids, tone-on-tone, small prints, etc.

The 2015 LOTTO Blocks are:

JANUARY Antique Tile - 12-1/2" White with a light and a dark blue.

Antique Tile Block

FEBRUARY Old Maid's Puzzle - 12-1/2" Cream with blue and green. The blue will be the larger focus in the square, green smaller.

Old Maids Puzzle Block

MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white print / white / bright center. B&W print should be on the dark side for a good value difference.

Friendship Star Block

APRIL Tippecanoe and Tyler Too - 12-1/2" - White with pastel pinks, yellow, peach, lavender, light blue, spring green.

Tippecanoe and Tyler Too Block

MAY Shoo Fly 12-1/2" White with Lime greens and purple. You have the option to make the center squares and "flies" all purples or greens, or a mix like the one on the upper right in the picture.

Shoo Fly Block

JUNE Annie's Choice - 12-1/2" White or WOW and one of the primary colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) print should read as a solid.

Annies Choice Block

JULY Ohio Star 12-1/2" - Deep red/maroon, Blue and White.

Ohio Star Block

AUGUST Bear Paw - 12-1/2" Block Kona black and batiks (use only one color batik per block) Because blacks vary so much, (warm and cool tones), please use KONA black so all of the squares will go well together.

Bears Paw

SEPTEMBER Snowball 9-Patch 12-1/2" Cream with Russet and Medium to Dark Green.

Snowball Nine Patch

OCTOBER Sunny Lanes 12-1/2" - Black/white and scrappy brights - magentas, hot pink, turquoise, greens, blue, yellow.

Sunny Lanes Block

NOVEMBER Buckeye Beauty - 12-1/2" Cream with brown and turquoise / coral / salmon. The turquoise should be the center blocks on the four-patches.

Buckeye Beauty Block

December - No Block for December

This post was edited by polardream on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 19:25

Comments (51)

• msmeow
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, Sue, those are great! I especially love the sunny lanes...I may have to participate in the lotto this year. :)

Great job!

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Those are ALL great!! It encourages me to try to do more this year.

Good Job!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Already picking my fabrics (mentally).
    Can i get Kona black online somewhere ?
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Theresa, Kona is a brand name and Kona black is sometimes called Amish black in other brands. Go to any quilt fabric online shop and put either in the search term and it will come up with something. It is a dense, solid color that is not mottled like a black batik.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda. I will do a search.
    Theresa

• polardream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you are liking the blocks so far!

Theresa, Yes, just like Linda said, it is readily available. JoAnn's Fabrics carries Kona Black also.

Sue

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting the 2015 blocks, Sue. They are great! Now if I can get my act together, I should be able to choose scraps from my stash, take them to Hawaii in January and work on them over the three months we'll be there. It would be the perfect, compact vacation project. Thanks to you and Linda for volunteering to keep the lotto going.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

You ladies have been Busy....these look great! Nice cross selection of colors and blocks!
    I so appreciate the early post; it's the perfect past time for January Snow days! ( at least for mid-Atlantic east coast folks...!)
    Thanks so much for keeping the lotto rockin in 2015!
    V.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Ditto my thanks. I was afraid Lotto might go away and I have really enjoyed participating when I could. I really like the blocks and agree January and February would be the perfect time to get some blocks made.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Totally beautiful!!! Every month is just great!! Exciting!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Wonderful variety of blocks and colors!!!! WooooHoooo! Really appreciate you making all the blocks and posting each month this early.

You girls have been busy while I've just been sitting at the hospital!

SharonG/FL

• jendickson8
    9 years ago

I just found this site and want to know if it is too late join the block lotto for 2015.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

You have plenty of time. We post each month as a separate lotto. the block for January will be posted at the end of December. Just follow the instructions and you'll get the idea. And, welcome. You are more than welcome to join us. We are a friendly bunch!

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, jendickson8. We are delighted to have a new member joining the lotto. It's a lot of fun, and you know what they say about beginner's luck.

• polardream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Welcome, Jendickson8! The Block lotto is a great way to try new blocks and maybe you will be the lucky winner of some of the month's drawings. I will be posting the January block sign-up at the end of December. Most people make their blocks, post a picture of them, then they are mailed to Toolgranny. They need to arrive by the end of each month. Each person is assigned a number (randomly) by Toolgranny, then a number will be drawn, and that person receives all the blocks made for that month. If you make 1 block, you have 1 chance, 2 blocks, 2 chances, or 3 blocks, 3 chances. If you need Toolgranny's address, you can click on her name and send her an email.

This is a fun activity and we look forward to having you join the lottos!

Sue/polardream

• jendickson8
    9 years ago

Hi: I have just joined this group. Not sure how it all works but I do want to be sure I have not missed the sign up for January. Also, hope I didn't miss the requirements for the Januarys block either. Is there someone that can help me with the ins and outs........ Thanks

• polardream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jen! Welcome to the block lotto. You have not missed it. Toolgranny (Linda) and I (Sue) will be doing the postings for the lotto. Blocks will be mailed to Linda and need to arrive by the last day of the month in order to be included in the drawing. If you click on her name, there is an option to send her an email and she can send you her mailing address. You need to include $1 with your block or up to 3 blocks (ONLY $1) to help cover the cost of mailing the blocks to the winner. On the last day of the month, or 1st of the next month, all of the entries are given random numbers & then we draw out the winner - or have someone online pick a number. As people complete their blocks, they post online that they are sending 1-3 blocks and often put a photo of their blocks on so everyone can see how great they will look together!

I am so glad you will be joining us. I will probably post the January lotto later this week. If you want to send me an email with your phone number, I can call you to answer any other questions. WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Sue

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

These are all beautiful selections!! Great job, already, Ladies!

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I went through my scraps and found the perfect fabrics for January, February and March blocks. They're all cut and packed for the trip to Hawaii. I'll piece them there and send them on their way to Linda in California. They should be getting frequent flyer miles for all the travel they're doing.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Popping this up so that it's easier to find! I've invited a friend to take a look to see if she might join us for this year!!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Ready for a mailing address and it's not even half way thru January yet!!!!!!!

• polardream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth - Send Linda a message at Linda at schultz-assoc.com and she can give you her mailing address.

Sue

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Thanks, sue...Got it! Thanks, Linda!!

• ibquiltn4fun
    9 years ago

First attempt at the lotto blocks

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Nicely done.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

This post will get unmanageably long by the end of the year. I suggest you post your monthly blocks to the specific month's posting from this point on.

Thanks.
    Linda

• vasutx (storiedquilts.com)
    9 years ago

I came back to this thread to check on the March/April lotto block and I can't see anything past the Feb block. Is it just me or does Houzz have a maximum length for each post. I do remember seeing blocks for all months on this thread.

Vasu (longtime GW member, new account on Houzz since it could not find my old one)

• Nancy Morris
    9 years ago

I found the same thing.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I wonder if it's just all those pictures. March block is Friendship Star with white background, black and white fabric star points and a bright color in center. April is Tippecanoe and Tyler too, white background with pastel pinks, yellow, peach, lavender, light blue and spring green. Both patterns are posted at Quilters Cache under those names.

When Sue gets back from her trip in April, maybe she can figure out how to post the year again in just a few months at a time. But, we always post the next month's month by month as well.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

does anyone have the linky to post the instructions for these two?

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Sorry...just saw to go to Quilters Cache for those blocks.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Friendship Star Block at Quilters Cache

Let's see how this linky thingy works. lol

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

PerFECT-0 Sharon!! mucho gracias!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

You're welcome! :-)

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    9 years ago

Super -- I'm so glad to see the full set of blocks show back up. I've copied and pasted it to my files this time and plan to get busy. We will do some traveling this spring and I'm gonna get a jump on the upcoming blocks.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

A Bump-up for the April blocks!! How Easter-ish!

• polardream
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I am back in the US but not back to Colorado until next week, but it appears that the post has fixed itself!!! If you click on the name of the block it will take you to the pattern page. Thank you everyone for your patience. Thank you Toolgranny for taking care of things while I was out of touch! Will get the April post started so we can get stitchin' on it, as well.

• loisflan
    8 years ago

Bump!

• carabubble
    8 years ago

I'm curious as to why the October block isn't requiring Kona black. I've been lurking here for awhile. I used to quilt and am hoping to get back into it and will probably be joining the block lotto.

• loisflan
    8 years ago

Bump!

• polardream
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carabubble - Good question!! I always use Kona black and didn't think when I wrote the instructions for the block to specify Kona black. I will make an edit and use your suggestion. THANKS!!!!! Sue/polardream

• beth7happy
    8 years ago

Wow...hard to believe it!! We are already half way thru the Lotto Block Year!! Took awhile to find this post, but maybe we can bump it up again! I was looking for it because I'm trying to figure fabrics for the next couple of months! Happy Quilting today, friends!

• beth7happy
    8 years ago

ok...another question. Please. So, I just went to my local quilt store and asked for Kona Black. (for the August block). They carry Kona Bay, and had black. However, is the Kona Black that is being requested for the August block a Kona black by Kaufman?? I'm more than willing to purchase whatever is required, but I guess I need more specific information!

• loisflan
    8 years ago

It is my understanding that the "Kona black" fabric that is requested is from the Kona line of solid colored fabrics by Robert Kaufman.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    8 years ago

It is my understanding that Kona Bay and Kona Cotton are not the same.

• polardream
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lois is correct - it is the "Kona" fabric line by Robert Kaufman. They carry it at most JoAnn stores.

• beth7happy
    8 years ago

Found Kona Cotton - black at Joann's ...sure hope it's the right stuff, but there was no R Kaufman label on it.

• polardream
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's where I get mine - should be fine!

Sue

• carolnv
    8 years ago

Working on October and November blocks this weekend!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?