Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

Help.....how to get safety pin out of quilt

finchelover
11 years ago

I just finished putting on my binding and to my horror I had sewed in a closed safety pin,apparantly after basting. How can I get it out without ruining the whole block[it is a heart block with 7 pieces. I'm still a learner

Comments (6)

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Oh, bummer. First off, if the block is big enough to manipulate the pin out of a side seam, I would very carefully un-stitch one of the side seams closest to the pin. Then take out the pin, and re-sew the seam by hand using the method on this video I found. It's a very good tutorial on how to do a ladder-stitch, she is using a pillow but it can also be used to hand-sew a seam from the top. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladder Stitch

• day2day
    11 years ago

Oh, that is a bummer!

I had that happen with a straight pin...one with a flat, colored head,....caught in the polyester batting....just lucky to see the end sticking out through the back! Ever since it happened, every quilt I do, I obsess and worry that I've sewn a pin into it.

That's a good idea you've gotten to open the seam and resew by hand. I had to cut out a section of the back to remove mine. I covered the area with the label.

I've read where people use an applique to cover a tear.... sometimes even placing extra appliques in other areas to make it look like they always meant to do it that way.

I'm sure others will have ideas to help you.

Good Luck.

~Geraldine

• finchelover
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you both I finally made a slit got the pin out ,did damage control and made a heart label to place over. It's kinda a ways into the quilt but you do what you have to do. I don't think this young great granddaughter will mind since she will have a ladybug quilt,

• msmeow
    11 years ago

She will never know unless you tell her! She'll think it's something special you put on it just for her. :)

Donna

• anitastitch
    11 years ago

Glad you were able to remove the pin. And hey--remember, a pin is better than a bug! I think it was this forum that I read someone accidentally trapped a bug in her quilt. If I remember correctly, someone suggested she make a cute little bug patch to cover up the spot that the bug was removed.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

LOL!! That bug quilt was mine!!! I guess that was one of those unforgettable moments on the Quilting Forum, huh? That was over 2 years ago. My husband was the one who had to do exploratory surgery on that one from the back of the quilt, then I put a fusible patch on it. (Shuddering still.)