Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

So, let's talk binding

jennifer_in_va
9 years ago

We've talked a lot about the cut width of bindings, single fold or double fold, machine to the back & flip to the front, or machine to the front and flip to the back, as well as faux flanges/piping.

Now, let's assume that we are hand stitching the binding to the quilt back. Do you use a single thread or a double thread? How far apart are your stitches? Are you consistent? Do you stitch down the mitered corners? Do you worry about 'pig snouts' (very professional term, I assure you!)

I now use a single thread. I was assured years ago that a double thread actually puts more stress on the fabric fibers and doesn't really add more strength. I often will find myself starting a session with almost 1/4" stitches, but usually quickly reach a 3/8" stitch...it usually becomes fairly consistent when I get to this point.

I prefer to make my bindings small, so I don't bother with sewing the mitered corners. At retreat we've had discussions about 'pig snouts'. These are when the mitered folds of the binding both open in the same direction on the front and back of the quilt. Again, because my bindings are so small, I generally don't think about these snouts. I fold them in the direction that feels right. If I do think about pig snouts, it's usually when I've passed it. Then I might think "Gee, should have thought about that!"

So how about you?? What are your binding habits?

Comments (12)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I didn't know about the pig snouts till retreat and now I'm going to be very careful. But, I do make rather narrow bindings and now have tried your piping style and love it. I usually stitch down on the back by hand and my stitches are usually a consistent 1/4" apart. I use single thread as a rule.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

When I do hand stitch my binding, I use a single thread, have 5-6 stitches per inch, make a knot about every 4 inches, make sure to avoid snouts, and usually make one tack stitch in the miter.

Anyone have advice for binding inside corners?

beverly

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Sounds like we are all on the same page! I actually like to do the hand-stitching. It's like the final relaxing moment after the frenetic cutting, stitching, pressing and the dreaded sandwiching. And I do it the same way all of you have said, single thread, consistent approximately 1/4 inches, I don't stitch down the miters and somehow I don't get the pig snouts - I guess it's the way I routinely sew the binding and do the mitering on the front. And I finally studied the videos enough awhile back on how to join the ends of the bindings so that I don't have that lump anymore. I decided to do a quick and fun project last week, a baby quilt. I didn't do the normal binding on it, I just folded the top over to the back and sewed it down. OK for a quick project but definitely not quality. Now if someone has any tips on how to keep pieced backings from getting cockeyed I'll be truly grateful! I'm sure it has something to do with how you do the sandwich. I try and try to keep the bottom even with the top but usually something gets skewed or shorted on one end or something. Maybe that needs a separate thread??

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Beverly, I don't think I've done an inside corner (at least not in recent memory) but I would guess you'd have to use bias binding; sew to the inside corner then snip the raw edge of the binding almost to the stitching so that it will bend at a sharp angle. Like you would do with a facing on a garment.

My binding stitches are a pretty consistent 1/4" and I now use a single thread. I also heard that double thread could stress the binding fabric too much, and I've noticed that a single thread blends in and becomes invisible.

I am left handed so I think my miters face opposite directions on the front and back, therefore not making the "dog nose", but I stitch the fold closed on the back. I've convinced myself it adds some strength to the corner. :) I make narrow binding, too. When I've made a wider binding I sew both front and back miters closed.

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Looks like I'm in good company: single thread, 1/4-inch stitches (pretty consistent too), I sew the corner miters closed and yes, mine face opposite directions - just recently discovered that. I cut my bindings 2 1/4-inches wide, fold in half, press, machine stitch on the right side, fold over and secure by hand on the back. I'm another one who enjoys sewing on the binding by hand.

Jennifer, I taught my friends your piped binding at our recent retreat to Beech Mt. NC, and they loved it. One member of the group made a section of binding and pinned cut pieces to a paper with the directions written on it,

My next challenge is to learn to piece the binding begin and end so I won't have any more horrible "lumps!"

Teresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I like to sew everything by hand most of the time, and I use a double thread for all my seams and bindings. I do usually make a small binding with mitered corners sewn down. I do my final round of stitching down the binding on the front side of the quilt and usually stitch 1/4" apart or sometimes smaller.

Best to you all,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

Pretty much the same: Narrow binding, 1/4" - single thread if I stitch to the back, hopefully consistent, usually st. my miters which face in opposing directions. Like back to front with machine stitching for children quilts that are washed frequently.
    Read an tutorial in an old Newsletter mag. recently before I passed on my stack of old mag. that discussed bindings. It was very good and probably should have made a copy. It mentioned inside miters and pointed out the use of bias binding as one option but if memory serves it also said that rather the 90 degree fold one should us a 45 degree fold. Does this make sense?
    I was interested to find it did discuss the piped binding as well, which I assume is like the mentioned from retreat.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Only twice have I ever done 'binding', as you are talking. One was my practice on a table runner; the other was on a crib quilt. I used a tutorial online... the one about invisible and mitred corners. Both times I was really happy (well, a newbie gets excited over everything !! LOL) but I did not know about piggy noses.. Is there a picture of piggy noses somewhere??? And, I DID hand stitch the corners to make them look better! Maybe I had piggy noses and didn't know it! But...NOW I'm excited to try that cool piping binding...I think that's what you all learned at the retreat....and then Kate was kind enough to relay that to me in an email...I'll try that one next...it just looks amazing!
    and...two strands or one?? Oh my... I guess it just depends on the day.........now, THAT is not very professional, is it!????

• csackett
    9 years ago

Would Jennifer mind sharing the piped binding? Or direct me to a post that shows it. I'm curious.
    Thanks, CS

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CS~ here's a link to the piped binding tutorial

Here is a link that might be useful: Piped binding

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Beth, here is a link to a post from a couple of years ago about the "snouts". About a minute and a half in she shows what it looks like.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog nose in binding

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh dear. Confession: I have snouted. :(