Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillian_41

Finished this quilt today (pic)

gillian_41
15 years ago

Finally made this quilt from all the FQ I had of fruit & veggies, someone here gave me the idea and I am sorry I do not remember who.

Thank you.

Comments (19)

• athomesewing
    15 years ago

Very nice....yummy too!

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

I love it. Must be scraps from the ones you sent me but it was GrammyP who mentioned that pattern I think. Good job. Now you probably want your scraps back?

• gillian_41
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No I am through with fruit & veggies, now making scrappy quilts using up FQ will be taking one up the the LQS on Monday to get quilted.

• bopeep
    15 years ago

That is soooo cute.
    Great job.
    bopeep

• day2day
    15 years ago

You did a great job. I'm working on one of these too, using flower fabric. Are you the person who was making this as a thank you gift for a 'farmer' friend?
    TFS.
    ~Geraldine

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Nice quilt. I got the idea from Sharon (geezerfolks) so I can't take credit for it.

beverly

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

Stunning colors. It looks like a stained glass window.

• gillian_41
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes I was making this quilt for my neighbour until my DD walked in and saw it on my design board (the living room floor) and said she wanted it which surprised me as she has very little interest in my quilting hobby.
    Thank you Sharon for putting the idea in my head.

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I really like the pattern, always like black with bright colors. May I ask what the dimentions are for the blocks and strips? I think it would be a great way to use up batiks.
    I like the way you used up your fruits and veggies. They are not the easiest patterns to work into a quilt. Nice job. TFS Jayne

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

That looks good enough to eat! Ha, ha!

• gillian_41
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jayne just measured the strips are 1.1/4" the fruit 5.1/2 x4" thats allowing for 1/4" seams, the black was moda marble, you only sew the black to the long sides of the middle pieces, then stand one up and one side ways.
    Gillian.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Love the way you finished that, with the black strips. It makes for an optical illusion so that the strips on the perpendicular actually look longer to me than the strips on the horizontal, but I knew they couldn't be. LOL.

Makes that pattern just pop out at you. Sounds to me like you DD could get bitten by the quilt bug. That's how I got started, couldn't find 'just the right' throw for a daybed so ended up making it myself. The rest is history.

• jackierooke
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! It looks "woven". How the heck did you sew rows together if they aren't even?

• gillian_41
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jackie you made me laugh thats just what I thought when I saw the other quilt in a post here by Sharon, I do not know how it works but its very easy, I have no pattern but the rows are even.

• solstice98
    15 years ago

"...you only sew the black to the long sides of the middle pieces..."
    Oh now I get it! I was having trouble figuring out how it would be sewn too but now I see it. With the sashing sewn to the long sides, you end up with the short side of one veggie (plus sashing) being the same length as the long side of another veggie (without sashing). Very clever and a great optical illusion.

• suellen_delawares
    15 years ago

That is great!
    That looks like it would be fun to make.
    Suellen

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Ooooo, boy! I really like, and very glad to see the pattern!

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

Gillian, Thank you for the pattern. Very simple but impressive. I am coping it for my "todo" list.
    Jayne

• wish2okc
    15 years ago

Wow! That is so pretty!