Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any tips on a heavy quilt

Posted by karpet (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 21:48

Does anyone have any advice/tips on FMQ a heavy quilt that is like denim-weight? Thanks.
Karlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any tips on a heavy quilt

I can't remember where I saw it, on a BLOG I think, but she used a curtain rod hung from the ceiling to help support the quilt.

beverly

o

Yes. Send it to a long-armer!

o

Do it in sections (QAYG) and then there are only four heavy quadrants to finish it off.

o

Well, I have the quilt sandwich pinned together and ready to go. Thanks all for the suggestions. I do have to say a heavy quilt lays out nice - just pull on the sides and it lays flay. Not near as squirrely as lighter weight fabric. I won't start quilting till after Thanksgiving, but think I will switch around my table direction so I have more surface space on the left to hold the bulk of the quilt. I like that idea of a curtain rod, but with a tile ceiling I have no way to secure it. Maybe I can just get DH to stand there and hold it! Ha! Thanks again.
Karlene

o

When I was doing a denim quilt for my g'son, I pulled a table alongside the machine so that the quilt could rest on it without creating drag to pull the material away from the needle. You need to stop frequently and reposition the bulk of material do keep it from slipping off the table, however. As soon as you start fighting it, it's time to stop and move the excess material around. Been there and done that. LOL

o

You can also set up your ironing board to the side of you to help hold it.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here