Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

my current wip/ufo

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

Here's what I've been playing with lately...

This was another UFO from my friend. What I had when I opened the box was some strip sets, a whole bunch of strips already cut in varying widths, and some of them already pulled apart between colors.

She had a plan. I just don't know what it was. So I've sort of been playing 'paint by number' and moving strips around a lot! It may have been easier if I'd actually made a bargello prior to this, but alas, I'm learning as I go.

This will be a fractured bargello. Once I have a layout and the vertical sets are all pieced end to end (vertically), then I'll add very narrow vertical strips, I think of a gold batik, between them. I have a vision of a setting sun radiating through the neutral sky & dark mountains.

Still a ways to go, but I'm beginning to get a handle on it. Can't move on to anything else until this is done... not putting it away again in strip form!!!

Comments (17)

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Ooh, fun. Have never tried one. I love your vision.
    LindaB/CA

• grammyp
    10 years ago

You have the best friends and great patients.

beverly

• grammyp
    10 years ago

sorry, duplicate

This post was edited by grammyp on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 8:08

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I can't imagine being handed that and making sense out of it. What you are planning looks great. Keep us posted on your progress.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

That looks like the quilt on the cover of the book by Ruth Somebody. You've got a great start! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Donna

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

That's like doing a giant jigsaw puzzle--without the picture to go by. The fabrics are beautiful and I'm sure the quilt will be amazing. Bargellos are so much fun to do. Good luck.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

You always end up with the most wonderful windfalls. I'm anxious to see what you make of it.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

A bargello has been on my to do list for a very long time. I love what you have so far.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

You have a great start, Jennifer, but I would have to call Toolgranny Linda for some of her sleep aid if I even started something like that. I like how bargello patterns flow but they sure are mind boggling when done in a gradated fashion and they flow in and out and around and about. Will be fun to see how this ends up. It'll be spectacular, because, well, that's just how you do it. :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I've never been a big fan of bargello; however, seeing how you are assembling your jigsaw..with the center sun burst...wow. This will be stunning...have fun!
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanda/Sharon,

This would have been soooo much easier if I'd been the one to start it! Having to piece back together what someone took apart for some reason has been difficult. I think it all would have been easier if I'd had the strip sets and started it in my own vision.

But, it's coming along. It'll get there soon... have too many other things to accomplish that this has to get done so I can move on...

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

What a challenge! It looks like you're getting a vision, even if you didn't start it.

• chickie1
    10 years ago

You have done a great job so far without any directions. I don't know if i would undertake such a project. Good for you! Can't wait to see it finished.
    Darlene

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Bargellos are mind numbing in the possibilities of configurations!
    I have one book - different book than the one you needed, and I can see how much time and space it would take changing those strips.
    You now have a vision for the design, so I think you will get it done quickly! I love the look.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And I love the colouration
    Have fun with it and good luck!
    Theresa

• polardream
    10 years ago

You certainly do "inherit" some really cool stuff! I love the design and your idea of adding a gold batik will be awesome. Anxious to see how this turns out!

Sue

• polardream
    10 years ago

You certainly do "inherit" some really cool stuff! I love the design and your idea of adding a gold batik will be awesome. Anxious to see how this turns out!

Sue