Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

QQOTD: solid quilts

littlehelen_gw
9 years ago

My preference for quilts has always leaned toward cotton prints with solids as accents, yet I just stumbled across a Robert Kaufman look book "30 Quilts for 30 years" and was wowed! There are a few really beautiful quilts in just solids, which I would never have considered before.
What are your preferences? Have you made an all solid color top? If yes, what was your feel for the result? Like, didn't like, ok....etc?
V.

Comments (10)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Prints scared me when I first started quilting. I just didn't know how they would look together so I always mixed solids and prints. Then I discovered Jinny Beyer fabrics and her tonal blenders. Once I started using them it was easier to blend in more and bolder prints. I don't remember ever making a top with just solids.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I'm currently doing an Amish quilt, all solids. But they always are so don't think that counts. I have made quilts with hand dyed solids and love playing with color but have moved on from that style now. Solids can be lovely and dramatic if used well.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

The closest to solid colors I have made was the one for the Pinhoti 100. Mostly white and black, just a touch of green. I do use some solids, but personally prefer the movement blenders give a quilt.

beverly

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I used more solids back in the '80's when I first started quilting. I've done a few Amish-style quilts and smaller projects such as pillows over the years. I've noticed that my stash now has very few of them and I don't know why. I guess the beautiful prints out there just scream to be picked up and the solids get overlooked. I was going over my stash just yesterday and noted that it is lacking in solids and lights. Yes the Amish quilts are gorgeous and actually very contemporary looking. Right now I am in the phase of looking for a new project to do and can't seem to land on anything. There is a quilt that I've noticed online that I really like but I don't have the pattern for it, it's a wagon wheel pattern. Yes I could buy the pattern but then I might look at it and change my mind. I've also still got lots of scrap-bag strips that I could do some kind of string quilt thing, although I did make one last year. So many choices, so little time! I'm editing this because low and behold, I happened to check Missouri Star Quilts YouTube and they have a brand new tutorial on called "Broken Bars" and it uses all solids! Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Quilts Broken Bars Tutorial

This post was edited by ritaweeda on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 6:28

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

The old lessons from childhood always haunt me: NEVER mix plaids, prints, or stripes! If you use one, everything else must be a solid, compatible plain color. Of course, quilting blows that out the door! This forum is great because I'm getting to see all kinds of wonderful combinations. And, doing the lotto blocks has been a huge step for me in mixing things that formerly did not 'go'. This therapy is so freeing!!! *smile*

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I typically use prints and blenders or tone on tone...not much actual solid.

Like Beth at first I would hesitate to put different prints together, but making a few Bonnie Hunter quilts has gotten that out of my system. :)

I believe most miniature quilt makers would advise using solids. When you are working with very tiny pieces prints just detract from the overall effect.

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I often use solids for background on my quilts, and I did make two quilts completely with solids. They were both very modern patterns.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lois, I recall the red quilt you recently posted, was that all solids? Its a very cool / modern quilt...were you pleased with your all solid quilts?
    V.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Val, the only solid color in Big Red is the black. Every other fabric is a print.

I was happy with my solid fabric quilts, especially Beach Glass. There are so many different colors, I didn't miss the prints.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County