Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth7happy

need some suggestions

beth7happy
9 years ago

This very large box of fabric scraps was mailed to me by a friend, along with a plea: "Can you do something with this?" Long story short: Her mom passed away several years ago, and just recently her dad died so the house is being emptied. Among the treasures was this box of scraps that her mom had stashed for many years. the newspaper lining the bottom of the box is from 1978! There are all types of things; I've started by trying to sort into types of fabrics. The most abundant seems to be seersucker, and some cotton. It's really just a mish-mash of .....stuff. I know she would like something to remember her mom...but I also know that I cannot use all of this stuff..there is even upholstery fabric, linings, wools, flannels..just bits and pieces. Do any of you have any ideas for me?? At all??? It's somewhat overwhelming!

Comments (24)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A quilt with one square from each piece of fabric.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Would there be enough to make a crazy quilt wall hanging? Or perhaps just a pieced top mounted in a frame, like a picture.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Beth, I used seersucker as a backing once - it softened and was very durable. It was for a baby quilt for my grandson who is now 25 and last I knew, when he isn't feeling well, he still hauls that very worn, very much laundered thing out and tries to wrap it around his over 6 foot self! So, if you have enough for maybe a lap or baby quilt size, you could use that with some of the flannel for backing. Without knowing how much, or what sizes you have, it's difficult to recommend a pattern. Something scrappy for sure. Good luck and have fun.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Last year when a family friend's grandmother died she had a lot of different materials, but was not enough to make a quilt, nor did I have time to make a quilt and most fabric was so old it would not have survived washing to be in a quilt. So I took many different fabrics and made 12" x 12" Roberta's Jewels blocks and framed them in frames from Hobby Lobby, ..... made 3 of them and gave 1 to his mom and 1 to his sister and 1 to him so they have something to remember their grandmother by, having her favorite fabrics framed in a quilt block and with it being frame you don't smell the mustiness of the fabrics.... some fabrics I did wash, but some fabrics were so old and delicate was not able to wash all of them. The rest of the fabrics and with the family's consent I donated them some to my church's garage sale, some to Goodwill. They wanted something to remember her by, but were overwhelmed by all the stuff to go through so I sorted it all for them and then donated it. They did give me a few sewing notions of hers for me to keep.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roberta Jewels framed blocks

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Friends. It will take some time to figure the best way, or ways...to return part of this box to my friend. Perhaps even a pot holder, or two...maybe a table runner - for the cottons. Actually, the cottons are going to be easier, but it's the old polyester double knits that have me stymied! Any and all ideas are welcomed, however!!

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I made that same little patchwork dog to go with a baby quilt. It's really cute and easy. Beth, I might still have the pattern if you want it.

Kate

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh my goodness...GREAT ideas. Especially love the doggie idea and I know the 'owner' will love that one, too. Kate, yes please, if you have that pattern? Or I could maybe find it on a web hunt, too! Thanks!

• new2quilting
    9 years ago

If Kate can't find hers, here's a free pattern. It uses 54 2-1/4" squares, though you could probably also piece the strip if you had more fabrics than that.

http://dsquilts.com/fabric_and_patterns.asp?PageID=187

Oh, and this one with pointy ears!

http://sunshineintheattic.blogspot.com/2014/01/patchwork-scottie-dog-pillow-and-tutoria.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Free patchwork Scotty Dog pattern

This post was edited by new2quilting on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 22:26

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOVE the Scotty Dog pattern, new2quilting! Thanks; that will be perfect to get a sampling of this box of fabrics and will work perfectly in Scotty's new home...once he comes to life and then makes his trip to Illinois!! (and I'm so glad to be part of doggie rescue!! hahahaah!)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

And you can stuff him with the poly-fabrics!

If they have live pets, you can use all of these fabrics to make dog or cat beds too. Piece the beds any way you want, then stuff them with the scraps you don't use.

Kate

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my second attempt at a 'Scotty'. I ended up just forgetting about the 'gusset' between the two mirror sides and just did it more like a pillow...(all my seams DO match!!)...not as 'square' as I'd like it to be, but... and the other thing is that I don't like the ear...thinking that maybe I should embroider some 'hair' on that!!! ...or not...

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the other side

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Beth -- very cute! I agree, the ear needs to look different from the tail. How many are you making? Good use of the varied scraps.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

only ONE, Mag... Hahhaa... omg...this was my second attempt! The scraps are from a friends mother...just doing this as a 'remembrence' for her, of her mom. HELP! What can I do to that EAR without taking the whole thing apart!??? (remind me: NO MORE Scottie dogs!)

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I think -- make the ear slightly pointy and less stuffed and call it done! Open up the seam at the top and pull out some of the stuffing and hand stitch a kinda blunt curved pointy ear.
    Glad you are only making this one! Cute, but looks tedious!

• new2quilting
    9 years ago

I think it came out adorable, and a nice assortment of the fabrics. Sorry I sent you off on a difficult project! Do you have any felt or even scrap? What if you just cut out a little square and sew it inside the ear pieces to look like an inner ear. I think that might do it.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

new2quilting, I'm thrilled with the idea, so don't be sorry! It was harder working with this wide variety of fabrics than I'd anticipated, but the results will work - I think. Perhaps adding something to that ear will help...hahahaa...I'll give it a try..maybe using a bit of a dark color to make and 'outside ear' and just let the pink show a bit?? maybe just a triangle on the back part of the ear... But..the idea is awesome! perfect, too, for the era of the fabrics.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Good idea to add a patch of dark to the ear. Please show us another picture.
    Adorable and perfect use for these fabrics.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's The Dog's Ear! I'm much happier with him now...will mail him off on Tuesday. Wow...that was a project now...done twice and time consuming (because of the twice!) but I think it will fill the bill very nicely and the recipient, I think, will be reduced to tears. I still have a large amount of seersucker in her box of scraps that might turn into a 'summer coverlet' for her maybe next year. I'd have to add something to bring all the pieces together, but I think that would be okay. Thanks for all of your input on the Doggie....I'm pretty happy with him now.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Cute and now it looks like a Scotty ear!! Yay! Job very well done.
    Send some Kleenex~she's going to need it.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) thanks, magothyrivergirl...and cute idea, too.. think i'll add a lil pack o'kleenex!

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just for a wrap-up on the little doggie: my friend was quite overwhelmed with the memories that this patchy puppie brought to her...she emailed me twice on Christmas day and apparently the tears just kept on coming! (and her hubs told me that they were happy tears of good memories of her mom!). So...thanks for your input -esp new2quilting for the Scottie idea! Project = success, imho. There is enough stuff in her box, too, that I may attempt a summer weight coverlette with the seersuckers and cottons in the coming year.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Beth, what a great thing you did for your friend! She will treasure her little Scottie dog.

Donna

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!