Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

There's a new baby in my house!

msmeow
10 years ago

Baby Lock, that is...

I found this lovely pre-owned Espire at a fabric shop here in town. It's enough like my Brother that it won't take me forever to learn the features, but it has a bunch of stuff Mr Brother doesn't. Best of all, it wasn't too, too expensive and I got 6 months 0% financing!

The Espire is a discontinued model, but it's part of the Quilter's Dream Series. It has an automatic pivot function which automatically lifts the presser foot when you stop, it has an even easier needle threader than Mr B, it has 350 stitches (!!!), a straight stitch throat plate with a sensor that won't allow you to try to NOT straight stitch, and a bunch of other stuff.

I can't wait for the weekend so we can get acquainted! LOL

Donna

Comments (15)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Good for you. I have a Baby Lock quilters pro and love it. Mine only does straight stitch and is my main FMQ machine and has a big throat. You'll love yours, too. Congratulations.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful Baby lol! I've been pondering a new machine for FMQing, I just don't have the space for another machine. Have fun this weekend.
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Congratulations... It is the same one that I have I believe. Model BLSR?? You will love the pivot stitch. That makes it worthwhile. One drawback I have it that mine wont back stitch even though there is a button for it. It only locks st. with it, but I don't have an issue with it.
    Did yours come with the extension table? That is a great feature as well.
    Enjoy.

This post was edited by nanajayne on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 21:12

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Jayne, it's the BLSR. I got the extension table and the cone thread stand. A bunch of feet, too! I think I'm going to love the independent bobbin winder. :)

Donna

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Oh Donna, how exciting! I know you've wanted a newer machine for a while now...You must feel like I did the day I brought my Nina home. (As an aside, I got a cone stand when I got my Nina too and I love it.... and I love the independent bobbin winder too!)

Guess what? That threader is the same one that I simply RAVE about on my Brother PC 420! Isn't it amazing?

I'm sure you will love the pivot function! The straight stitch protection is nice too! Does it have a USB port for embroidery designs? Did you get it from The Sewing Studio? I know they are a Brother/Baby Lock dealer and sometimes have a lot of nice pre-owned machines there... haven't been since I had my Brother serviced there, but I sure had fun drooling that day!

Enjoy it...btw, did it come with any embroidery software?

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 23:17

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobby, it does have a USB port but it doesn't do embroidery. And I did find it at the Sewing Studio! I was leaning toward a preowned Janome 7700 from Nancy's. The sales lady at SS showed me this one, so I did some research when I got home and discovered the BL had all the same bells and whistles. About the only difference was that the Janome has a bigger throat and cost $1000 more! LOL

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

How exciting for you!! Congratulations...it's so much fun to get a new toy...I mean a sewing machine for one's quilting addiction... I mean quilting designs...

HAVE FUN :-)

V.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I thought your baby was going to be a kitty! LOL
    This new baby won't shed while it plays with your fabric!
    Feed her lots of thread, change the needle & dust often, and have fun!!! Congrats on your new addition.
    You will love the pivot function. Enjoy!!!

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Marsha!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Ooohhh! What fun. Looks like Christmas came early. New toys already. Have a wonderful time.
    LindaB/CA

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Donna... I think it was wise to go with the Baby Lock because your Brother accessories should fit it if you need them to and you already have a relationship with the dealer because of your previous machine. I'm always surprised when machines with touch screens don't embroider (Marsha's new Pfaff is that way too, I think), but you have that in your Brother anyway... do you think you will leave your old machine set up to do embroidery and use this one for sewing?

I met the ladies from Nancy's at the retreat and they were very sweet... I was scared to ask how much the Janome they had there that connected to an Ipad was, but I did notice the picture on the machine's touch screen was better than the one on my TV!

The zero percent is nice too... I used to think it was funny that people got sewing machines financed (until I did it myself!)... My car is 14 years old because I don't want a payment, but I'm making a 97 dollar a month sewing machine payment until next April or something like that... LOL Hey, my machine has a "wheel" and a pedal so it's almost like a car :o)

Does that one have the completely automatic presser foot like some of the Vikings do, or is that just for pivoting? It will feel weird to not reach for a lever at first! I think that machine doesn't even have a presser foot lever, just a button... I've only used knee lifters before so I am curious about an automatic presser foot! With a knee lifter, you have to have the machine positioned "just so" on the table to be able to use it and it's too easy to accidentally activate while sewing.

I think I'd be tempted to play hooky from church on Sunday! Can you imagine your husband making an excuse for something like that.... Oh we missed Donna today, is she sick? NO, she just got a new sewing machine to play with! LOL

It's so fun to share in the excitement of a new machine!

I don't know why, but Eleanor Burns switched from Elna to Baby Lock!

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 3:38

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobby, you're too funny! LOL There is a presser foot lever, but there is also a button to raise and lower it. And if you have it in the pivot mode, when you stop stitching the needle goes down and the foot goes up. I was using that mode yesterday and I'm thinking I'll probably never need the lifter! Though it has one, if I want to use it.

It doesn't technically do embroidery, but it has a couple hundred decorative stitches and you can modify them quite a bit by changing the stitch length and width and using the mirror image function. You can also combine them any way you want and save the combination in memory. It also has three alphabets.

It has three free motion quilting feet and 2 quarter inch feet in addition to the usual selection of feet.

Donna

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Donna, You mentioned the FMQF. That was what sold me on the machine when I bought it. (I happen to get it at the Paducah show a few yrs. back , it was deal because E. Burns was using them in a class at the show.) I liked the round FM foot. Don't you love the pivot feature?? Even though I am a Janome fan I hate give that up.
    Jayne

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

It sounds like you got the best of both worlds then... some of the machines with completely automatic presser feet lower them as soon as you press the pedal and raise them when you let release the pedal and don't have a lever at all.... I don't think I'd enjoy giving up that much control... there are times when I really need to ease the presser foot down manually and see where it's going to land on the fabric so your Baby Lock really sounds like a perfect compromise!

How many millimeters is the stitch width? Does it have the multi-directional sewing too? I know some of the higher end Brothers/Baby Locks can sew sideways and diagonally!

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been enjoying playing with my new toy. :). I even rearranged the sewing room in its honor! LOL

Jayne, the backstitch depends on which stitch you choose. If there is a little quote mark (") at the top of the stitch picture it will backstitch. If there is a little dot at the top of the picture it does the lock stitch.

I haven't tried FMQ yet...I'll have to do some soon.

Donna