Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

Volunteer FAQ Editor Needed

gwannouncements
13 years ago

We are looking for someone to take over maintaining the current FAQ for this forum. While compiling information should be a group effort, one person would be charged with pulling it together into useful FAQs.

If you have a desire to make this forum even better, have good writing skills and work well with others, please reply to this thread or send us an email -- Letters to Garden Web.

Comments (21)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is my Letter to Garden Web:

"Since it seems that no one else is going to step up to the plate, I will volunteer to take on the FAQ section of the Quilting Forum if you approve.

I have been quilting for 25 years or more, have taught quilting classes, made quilts on commission, and been a member of GardenWeb since about 2002. I've seen the Quilting Forum through good times and bad, participated in swaps, forum projects, block exchanges, and shared my work and classes with forum members.

Teresa Rouzer (teresa_nc7)"

To all the quilting forum members: please realize that I will need your input into the FAQ section of this forum. Your suggestions for topics and your experience in various quilting techiniques will help new quilters and new members to this forum. We want to offer our support, information, and experience to newbies and the Frequently Asked Questions will be an asset to the Forum.

Thanks!
    Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Thank you Teresa. The FAQ is utilized on the Cooking Forum (as you well know:)and it would be very useful as a source for information on this forum. Are pictures allowed on the FAQ section? We are a visual group.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I was hoping you would do this, Teresa. We talked about it shortly after iVillage took over without them ever supporting it. Hopefully, they'll make it happen this time as I think it's needed and will be very useful.

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Photos will be allowed on the FAQ section. But we must abide by any copyright laws or use only our own images - as is indicated by Garden Web regulations.

We must remember that if your photos are stored on an image web site like Photobucket, Picturetrail or Shutterbug, the images must stay in the same location/URL address and not be deleted in the future. Just something to think about.

Please be thinking about topics that need to be on our FAQ page, for example:

purchasing new or used machines for sewing, quilting or embroidery

applique techniques and tips

hand quilting techniques and tips

free motion quilting techniques and tips

blocks and quilts suitable for beginners

advice on building a fabric stash

thread information

instructions for fast Half Square Triangles (HST), Flying Geese construction, and other frequently used blocks

terms and abreviations used by quilters

most often used notions in quilting

reccomended basic/beginner quilting books

etc. etc.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Gardenweb is owned by ivillage is owned by NBC/Universal. Why can't pay be offered for this job?

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you, Teresa, for taking this on. It will be a huge job to get started, I'm sure!

Once you figure out how you want to get this organized, I hope you'll have lots of volunteers to provide the pieces for you to edit!

Please feel free to email me so we can figure out the best place I can help.

Kay

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Great idea, ideefixe!

Thank you for offering to help, Kay! I welcome all "assistant editors" from this forum!

Teresa

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

And, Teresa, if you need money I'll send you a dollar a month! I know you're worth more.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Did you hear from them Teresa? Did they confirm? Before I knew you were interested I had sent them an email too, but never received a response.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Yes, Kate, I did hear from Tamara confirming my intention to serve as the editor of our FAQ. She said they would get back to me in the new year.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Good! I didn't want to think they had abandoned the idea!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I think this would be the perfect place for a section for tutorials with pictures -like the 'cutting bias binding' imrainey posted. Thanks again Teresa.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Since ivillage doesn't seem to be stepping up to the plate to follow through with their request and the new year is fading away without word from them, (and as I was reading through Kate's new blog) I wondered why we (meaning Teresa, since she offered, and Kate cause she doesn't sleep and has lots of time) couldn't put together our own FAQ site. I would help with anything I would be able to do. Any thoughts?

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Totally agree, Sharon! I think we have waited long enough for ivillage. Do we have to have their help putting up the FAQ site on the GW?

I'd love for our members to post topics they would like to see in a FAQ area!

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Teresa, Someone had the password to the FAQ site a long time ago and I don't remember who it was....it might have been in the Spike days. I was thinking maybe it could be done on a blog site, but then, I don't know how we could keep that link at the top of the page. Guess we could all have the link and post it when questions were asked. That might be better as we wouldn't have to keep saying "have you checked the FAQ at the top of the page?" and have people get offended. (We can talk payment for the programmers later) :)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sharon is right: I would be happy to help! We could set it up as a blog or as a Google Site and get started almost instantly. But if it isn't done through GW/iVillage they'll never agree to post a permanent link to our site. Since there aren't even any 'sticki' posts (ones at the top of the post list that never drop down) on GW I'm not sure they can do it.

I'm really sorry the FAQ didn't happen, so if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know!

Kate (Sleepless in Orlando)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I wonder if GW could just add a page to this site, like Discussions and Gallery; call it FAQ and set it up so only Teresa can post? Or even so that only Teresa could start new posts but others could comment? It might allow for larger posts with adequate room for pictures and links; I'm not sure the current FAQ set-up has room for all that.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I sent an email to Tamara yesterday asking about the FAQ section. We'll see if I get a reply.

Teresa

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Well, my email to Tamara bounced back to me, so that maybe explains why I never heard from her. Don't know where we go from here.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Have you tried the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page?

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Teresa - contact Ann_T and see if she has a contact.