Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Block #1

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

Before we make our first block, I thought of some additional notes:

~ it is suggested to use a medium neutral color when piecing scrap blocks - I like medium gray and taupe the best, a medium beige will also blend nicely

~ it is very important to have as many different scraps as you can when making a scrap quilt of any type; 12 or 15 different fabrics are not enough for a scrap quilt and you will probably not be happy with the results; I used over 40 fabrics in the controlled colors of the Aunt Sukie's Choice quilt shown in the Gallery

~ when making your blocks, use a 1/4" seam or a scant 1/4" seam (which is just a few threads shy of measuring 1/4"); no matter which size seam you use, always aim to be consistent

~ when pressing the seams during construction, you can press to the darkest fabric or you can press the seams open if you prefer, just always aim to be consistent!

I suggest you make one block of each offered in these classes, print out the block instructions, note the web source if there is one, and pin your finished block to the instructions, then put all your scrap blocks with their instructions in a file folder or some other container where you can easily find them.

Now..... onto the block!

The first block we will make is called "Stitched Scraps" and makes a 10" finished block when sewn into the quilt.

A quilt set 5 blocks across and 6 blocks down with a 6" border added will need 30 blocks and will measure 62" x 72".

Scraps needed:

3"x3" squares (each block needs 4)

3"x5 1/2" rectangles ( each block needs 2)

3"x10 1/2" rectangles (each block needs 2)

Be sure that each piece of the block is a different fabric.

1. Make a 4-patch unit of the 4 3" squares. Press.

{{!gwi}}

2. Sew a 3"x5 1/2" rectangle to the top and to the bottom of the 4-patch unit. Press.

{{!gwi}}

3. Sew a 3" x 10 1/2" rectangle to the sides of the unit. Press.

{{!gwi}}

That's it! You've made one block! Wasn't that one easy?

{{!gwi}}

The source recommends that you flip-flop the blocks when laying them out:

{{!gwi}}

This block could easily be made smaller by cutting the squares and rectangles only 2 1/2" wide. This block could be a good use for those "noodles" you're collecting.

Source: www.rosiescalicocupboard.com

Comments (13)