Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

I now have a stash!

loisflan
9 years ago

OMG, I can't believe it. My neighbor decided to thin down her quilting supplies and take only what she wanted to their winter home in Phoenix, so she gave me three grocery bags crammed to the top with fat quarters, half yard and yard pieces. She also gave me large pieces of several blacks, WOWs, muslin and others. Many spools of thread, three whole quilt kits, a box of rulers and miscellaneous supplies. Also two large binders with classic quilt patterns and the templates to go with them. I could probably quilt for years before I bought anything else (but I won't, I'm sure). A few of the fabrics appear to be blends because she was also a seamstress and a few I will never use, so I'll take a trip to Goodwill with what I don't want. I have no idea where I will put it all, because I'm not set up for this size inventory, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Lucky me!

Comments (10)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

That's very true! Lucky you!!!! :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your "Instant Stash" ....nothing like a good Quilty neighbor!
    V.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Congrats on your windfall! I am sure you will have fun sorting through everything and deciding what you will keep.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for ... one of the guys in my Lions club just cleaned out all of his late-wife's crafting stuff (he thought it was fabric) and gave it to me. Five tubs of stuff ... mostly cross-stitch and patterns, so I will be passing them along.

Sue

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just finished washing and ironing three loads of fabric - one whites and off-whites, one creams and tan, and one dark greens. I'm sure I have at least five or six more loads.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

This same miracle happened to me a couple of years ago. It took me almost a week to sort it all into colors and wash and put it all away. You might want to check and see if there are any charity quilting groups around that might want the blends, even if it's for beds and pads for animal shelters if nothing else.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

What a wonderful surprise. It was an elderly friend that gave me her brand new cutting board, rotary cutter and plastic templates to get me started quilting. I really appreciated not having to go out and buy them. Because I was such a newbie, (only one quilt 30 odd years ago) I don't think I even realized they existed. I probably would have started by making cardboard patterns and cutting with scissors like I had 30 years ago. LOL

Lois, I bet there are fabrics good for next year's Lotto there, too!

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

Congratulations... Nothing more fun then more fabric.... especially when you find it on your door step, and the extras too boot... how lucky. Enjoy and make some scrappies with you windfall.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my haul, all washed, ironed and folded. Plus the two quilt kits, one with the price tag of $200, and 24 spools of Mettler thread in gorgeous colors.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Lucky girl!
    Someone once gave me their mother's stash. Mostly dec fabrics, very little quilting material, but in the bag were two single bed yo-yo quilts . They need some repair work but i have done nothing with them. Some day!
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Hope you have fun using all this fabric she shared with you.

Best to you,
    Sandra