Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Are you Quilting this weekend - Nov. 14-16??

polardream
9 years ago

Busy weekend ahead ... Am hoping to get the bulk of a king-sized quilt quilted for my mom. Weather forecast is for more snow, so I am hoping to spend lots of time behind my machine. We are going puppy-sit our granddog starting tomorrow, however, so, not sure how that will work out - she is really active! Of course, football on Sunday, so that ties up a few hours!

What about you?

Comments (17)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I am quilting this weekend. I spent the week cleaning out my sewing room and organizing many UFP projects. I've decided to get a couple moved on through and have been quilting on those. Gads do I have fabric in every corner. As I got an idea for a project I tended to buy fabric for a quilt, tuck it away, and there it sits. So, I will try and restrain myself as I pass fabric stores from now on. I will still organize the stash a bit more so I can lay my hand on colors I need. But, overall it feels good to be moving ahead.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Well, DD is tenting in the back yard tonight (low of 26 degrees) in order to get her polar bear badge! She says I'm not allowed to do it with her! darn.
    DS heads out early tomorrow for an 8 mile cub scout hike and camping out overnight too.

During the day I get to chauffer kids around, maybe some christmas shopping, and hopefully some bindings. I would very much like to start a new project.........

There are an awful lot of leaves to be raked, too.

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I took today and Monday off, so I have an extra long weekend. I loaded the quilt that I was working on at retreat on the frame, so I hope to get it quilted. Anything else is just a bonus.

Jackie

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, Jen, we have a mountain of leaves, too! And acorns. We really should do something about it, but other things keep coming up.

We have church and a visit with my FIL Sunday. Tomorrow I need to finish cleaning the house, then I'm planning to (finally) load the top I finished several weeks ago and start quilting.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

It would be cool to see snow. Temperatures dropped and we finally had to start running the heat this week. I am hand-piecing a Granny Square quilt block this weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 16:27

• day2day
    9 years ago

I haven't been on the forum in a while.
    My machine has been having problems. I don't want to buy another small machine but haven't the budget for a better one, so it has been
    a frustrating time with quilting.
    Yesterday, I sat for an hour trying to outline- quilt a pinwheel. I used a ton of thread...breakage/rethreading....turned the air blue and finally gave up.
    I will try to gather my courage and attempt another pinwheel tonight.
    Christmas shopping is on the list for this afternoon.
    Hope you all have a nice weekend.

~Geraldine

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

I am making a baby quilt...designing it as I go. Wish me luck!

I still have a quilt that is waiting for the hand-sewing part of the binding, plus one that is ready to go on the long-arm. I spent part of today in the studio, and plan to spend a good part of tomorrow there also.

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

My DD and I went to a LQS on Friday. They were celebrating their 9th b-day and had some specials. The first 50 in the door received a $10 gift card. We both got cards. It was only good for that day. I bought a FQ pack with mine. We went out for brunch after the quilt shop visit and then on to do a little Christmas shopping for the grands.
    Today was football and DD and fam came over for the afternoon and for a pizza dinner.
    I hope to get up to my sewing room tomorrow. We are watching Sami later in the day so Jen and Trist can go out with friends for a couple of hours.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Spray basted and quilted one top over yesterday and today.
    I tried to do the wall basting technique shown by Patsy Thompson in her videos but with a twist. I didn't have any ceiling tiles to use. And I won't even describe what I did, it was so amateurish.
    But I can see the advantages to spraying on the wall
    I tried experiment #2. Since the walls are panelled, why can't I just tape the backing up and pretend it is a floor. It worked pretty well, except that I also taped the sides to keep it relatively taut. I don't know how she just pins the top and gets flat backs.
    That was quilt #1. When I tried the second quilt, by the time
    I got to the top layer, the weight was such that the tape just gave way and
    I had a puddle on the floor. Back to the drawing board. And to the kitchen floor where I just did quilt 2. My knees are very upset with me.
    I will conquer this!
    Theresa

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

I went to my first TOGA this weekend... tremendous fun! Wow! Great machines, and great new faces... and I knew 2 people there already... I got elected to call the numbers for the raffle and we went out to dinner and just had a ball!

But, I have to confess... a machine *somehow* followed me out the door and jumped in my car :o) I actually ended up buying it from the same lady that I got my vintage metal electric straight stitch Brother from years ago and I didn't even know she was going to be there, let alone that I'd be a repeat customer!

Anyway, it's a 128 clone, and I'm just having a ball with it.... just scared to introduce him to my computerized Bernina! :)

Have any of you ever been to the TOGAs? For anyone who doesn't know, TOGAS are the gatherings of people who are into people powered machines....

Rita, aren't you in Brooksville? That's where this one was...

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

LOL! Sorry, never heard of these TOGAS, I thought at first you were talking about Roman Toga parties from back in the sixties! And yes I live in Brooksville but this town NEVER advertises ANYTHING that's going on. I hate to say this but I'm going to - these old-timers in Brooksville don't like foreigners and don't want anyone to come here, period. The local section of the Tampa Tribune here, the Hernando Today, just shut down and closed the doors last week so there is now NOTHING to market anything here except for the local radio station and not too many people listen to that because it's all talk radio. So no, I had no idea that it was going on. In fact, I happened to drive by the fairgrounds to go to the grocery this morning and saw on the sign that the local art guild was having a show so I went back. The fairgrounds doesn't advertise anything going on, either. No wonder the place is dead, all the small businesses are either closed or struggling so badly.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Yeah, it's at the Women's Club on main street... the group really doesn't advertise (it's a word of mouth thing...) but I figured if you already knew about it, you might have been there and I just didn't know since I didn't get to talk to everyone... I have an uncle who lives there and I've never even been to his house! It was a pretty little town, though!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

I've never heard of a TOGA, but the machine that followed you home is a real beauty! Good goin!

No sewing for me this weekend...it was a P&P Saturday (prep & party) followed by a C&R Sunday (clean-up and recovery). Recovery still in process, should be ready to sew by next weekend...LOL can't party like I use to!

V.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Bobby - great looking 128 clone.....really pretty! Did you attend any of Ray White's classes?
    I think you have been bitten by the Vintage Sewing Machine bug!!! Your computerized Bernina should be scared!!

Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Marsha, Ray White was a no show apparently... he was supposed to be there, but nobody knew what happened...

I got to try a treadle for the first time too, but my movements were jerky, and I couldn't keep it going the right direction!

Just introduced them as I evicted Nina from her desk to let the new old machine borrow it... no fireworks yet, but just wait until the next time I try to embroider something... her revenge will not be pretty!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about the Revenge -- they don't have computerized brains for no reason!
    To bad about Ray White - he is highly regarded and I would love to take his workshop.
    If you ever have an opportunity to buy a Singer 301 -- grab it! You will wonder why we fool with Today's Temperamental Machines that we can't clean & service ourselves.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Yeah, I wonder what happened with him...

They had a 301 there, but I didn't think it was pretty... maybe I'm shallow! :o)

We fool with modern machines for things like automatic thread cutters, knee lifters and hover feet, automatic threaders, and needle down!!! Still, the old metal beauties have their place and hopefully we (they) can all live in synchronistic harmony...

I've already gone through two bobbins and successfully filled them... which doesn't sound like much, but I've never used a vibrating shuttle machine before yesterday!