Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Block #2

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

Next we will make the wonderfully innovative block from our own Fran - Fran's Five Across and Five Down!

This block is easy and can be fast if you do a lot of cutting before you begin. I am using 2 1/2" squares and strips cut 2 1/2" wide here in my lesson. This results in a block size that is approximately 10 1/2" unfinished.

If you want a bigger block, you can cut 3" squares and cut your strips 3" wide. It's up to you.

You will need:

10 2 1/2" squares, all different fabrics

3 strips, 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" - all the same

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Make one patched strip by sewing 5 squares together, end to

end. Press seams all in one direction.

{{!gwi}}

Then make a second patched strip with the other 5 squares in the same manner as the first. Press.

{{!gwi}}

Sew one 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" rectangle to one patched strip. Repeat with one more patched strip and one plain. Sew the four strips together so that you have alternating plain, patched, plain, patched. Finally sew the last plain strip to the last patched strip.

{{!gwi}}

Square up your block if needed by trimming the strips just a little. And your block is done.

Here is my quilt top made with this block. Again, we flip-flop the blocks when they are sewn together.

IMO, the printed plaid I used in the block for this class is too busy. I just wanted to see how it would look.....so now I know. This quilt will look better with read-as-solid, tiny check, small dot, or even a solid. So, think about your fabric choice before you commit to cutting out lots of strips.

Now.......

I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

Yours is so much more impressive than mine! How can I compete. But, I'll manage to make a few scraps till I can do this. Taking notes, Taking notes!
    Linda

• mum_in_africa
    16 years ago

Teresa,

You are a gem! you have made me smile.
    You classes and examples are magical & I have loved seeing your quilts again. I think you are a scrap quilt master.

I am so pleased to see your scraps and love that you have them so readily accessible. I'll try & remember to take a photo of mine, but it isn;t nearly so attractive because whilst I think I have lots too, I have carefully sorted and stored them.
    what a treat that peicture is I'd love to fossick in there.

Have a wonderful day, & thanks again for sharing.

Anne

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Anne! You made me look up fossick:

fos·sick (fsk)
    v. fos·sicked, fos·sick·ing, fos·sicks Australian
    v.intr.
    1. To search for gold, especially by reworking washings or waste piles.
    2. To rummage or search around, especially for a possible profit.
    v.tr.
    To search for by or as if by rummaging.

• sunnycentralfl
    16 years ago

This is great! Who knew I'd be learning vocabulary along with sewing!!! You gals are wonderful and a hoot to boot!

The only reason mine are sorted is because they remain flat and I don't have to iron!
    Gwen

• grammyp
    16 years ago

I just love scrappy quilts, thanks for the class. I'll have to take a picture of mine tomorrow.

beverly

• noocha
    16 years ago

Teresa,
    This is great! Thanks so much for helping out a scrappy impaired person. :o)
    Linda

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Teresa, that mess of scraps is an inspiration. I love the definition of "fossick". It's perfect. Great to hear from you Anne.

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

fossick........... just love that!!
    I am enjoying your post and taking lots of notes!

Oh my, am I a poet?? lol!
    Barbra

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Block #2{{!gwi}} Looking forward to see what others are doing. Jayne

• chrizty
    16 years ago

those look great! n look easy to do! makes me wanna dig in my scrap box! lol cant belive i havent noticed your classes before, definitly gonna look for em now *big smiles*
    ya know i realy do like the plaid with it, that pattern reminds me of the basket weave block pattern, so i can see how the plaid would blend in to much but i still like it! lol
    im workin on somthing now, just got done with my last block, 64 2inch blocks to make one lol i hade 9 now i gotta sew em together n do the border but i might make one of yours just for fun lol have ta figure out how to post a pic when i do.

• love2sew
    16 years ago

BTTT