Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Another finish this month

msmeow
10 years ago

I've always wanted to try a wholecloth quilt, so thought I'd start small. This one is 16" square. It's the most hand quilting I've done in a while. :)

Donna

Comments (15)

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful Donna! My first quilt was a wholecloth, I was so green I didn't know that was what they were called lol. It took me 3 years to finish it.

I find hand work very relaxing, I should plan another. Maybe one day.........
    Rosa

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Nice work!
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Pretty design.
    That's still a lot of stitching for 16" square~LOL~ good practice
    for a larger quilt-is that what you are planning?

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I can't imagine I will ever hand quilt...but I do admire...nicely done!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I enjoyed hand quilting when my hands and fingers were younger. :-) That's a lot of stitching, Donna, and a good job, too.

• lola99
    10 years ago

That looks great. I agree with the others - it does look like a lot of stitching! Nice job.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Donna that's a whole lot of stitching. It looks beautiful.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!

Marsha, no plans for any further wholecloth quilts. :) I have a Civil War kit that has piecing and applique. My current plan is to do it all by hand. It's a wall hanging about 40" square, I think.

I also have a hand pieced table runner from my Quilt U class that I suppose I should hand quilt (since it's hand pieced). We'll see how I feel when I get around to quilting it. LOL

Donna

• day2day
    10 years ago

Donna, I am in awe of the the time and patience that was put into thisl!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• chrizty
    10 years ago

Love that! Very beautiful. :)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna,

I think I've done that same one!! I am NOT a hand quilter, but figured even I could do one of these! I used varigated thread, which in retrospect I shouldn't have done... I have another pattern from the same company that I'll get to one day...if my arthritic hands don't hold me back.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Jen, that's the same one...called Prairie something, I think. LOL

If I do another I'll probably break with tradition and use colored thread so the design shows up better.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

They both look great. Hand quilting amazes me.

LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna, that was my theory with the varigated thread...to actually be able to see it! I would do a solid thread again, but the lightest of the varigated doesn't show well and looks washed out in those areas.

I think there's a whole line of these wholecloth quilts. What I like about them is their size!! (16" x 16" or something like that)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

So pretty! I like doing hand quilting too but haven't done anything that complicated yet.