Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

What are quilting this weekend? 11/20-21/10

lindaoh_gw
13 years ago

Is anyone quilting this weekend or are you getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas? I went grocery shopping this afternoon and started my Christmas shopping. I didn't find much and will prolly do most of it online. I have been shopping online for several years and it is so nice to not have to fight the crowds.

We are going to DD's house for turkey day but they will all come here for Christmas. It may not be on the 25th but at least they are coming home this year. The last two years we have met at DD's house.

Yesterday I started cutting fabric for tote bags I am making for the girls. They are made of 2 inch HSTs. I am using the triangle paper left over from the Edyta Sitar class I took last summer. She gave each of us an entire package (25 sheets) of the paper and we only used 7 sheets in class. I have a few HST left from the class that I will mix with the squares I am using for the totes.

I plan to start sewing tomorrow.

What are you doing?

Linda OH

Comments (13)

• msmeow
    13 years ago

I made my grocery run yesterday, and the store was already a madhouse. Can't imagine Tues. or Weds!

Yesterday I had lunch with friends and we went to a small quilt show. It was really nice! The ladies were all so friendly.

Today I finished quilting a BIG braid quilt and got the binding sewn to the front. Finishing the ends and sewing the binding by hand on the back will take a while! Tomorrow I'm planning to get back to my snowman table set.

We are going to sis-IL's for T'giving and having Christmas here. Like you Linda, I'm not sure if we'll do Christmas day or Boxing day (26th). We'll kind of poll the family on Thurs and see what everyone wants to do.

Donna

• grammyp
    13 years ago

We have the grands tonight and will have a picnic after church tomorrow then take them home. I do hope to get a small lap quilt quilted tomorrow afternoon. I'd also like to get my Dec birthday blocks finished.

We will have Thanksgiving at my parent's Thursday. I'm just supposed to bring the pumpkin pie, but think I'll throw in some cookies. DH has to work this week so he won't be able to go, but we will bring him back some turkey. Don't know if SonIL will have to work or not, he works at a funeral home and you never know.

beverly

• equilter
    13 years ago

Lucky Linda! Have fun making the bags. I am not quilting this weekend. I am working Sat. and Sun. - probably 8 to 9 hr shifts. Can you tell I'm feeling sorry for myself? I am off on Thursday, though, and going to SIL's. I'll be bringing a home made cheese cake. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone! Eileen

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

I've been working on the baby quilt I need to have finished for the shower next Sunday. Hopefully will get the design done tonight so I can quickly sew it up tomorrow.

Have Thanksgiving at sister's on Thurs... Need to do sweet potatoes, and am plannign on trying a pumpkin cheesecake & NY style cheesecake.

May be doing a THanksgiving here on Sat...full trimmings if we do, and probably won't be decided until the last minute. What fun!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Today I made a few more Boxed Squares scrap blocks and did another birthday block for 2011. Wonder if I can get all the birthday blocks made before the new year rolls around?

Also hemmed a pair of pants for DS#2 and took homemade cinnamon buns up to my local Exxon station. I try to take them something a couple of times a year as they are very good to me.

Teresa

• faintheart
    13 years ago

I got a new sewing machine and am working on UFOs! Did the fmq and binding on DD's batik birthday quilt. Same on a lap quilt which hubby immediately claimed. Sandwiched another UFO and need to decide how to quilt it. Can't believe I have a machine that I can fmq with. I am learning and loving it!!! Picked up a printed piece with Winnie the Pooh for a baby quilt and need to think quick of what I want to do with it as I will need a baby shower gift in two weeks. Hope to get Dec lotto blocks done tmw.

Did the holiday grocery run. Will be going to Dsis-IL for Thanksgiving dinner and need to bring salads and dinner rolls. Am waiting to hear whether son and fiance are coming for the long weekend so need to have some meal options ready.

Dee

• day2day
    13 years ago

I quilted yesterday from 8 until 3 with just a few short breaks. I am trying to get some quilts finished for Xmas.

I am hoping to get some more done today but that may not be possible. We are going to pick up groceries and I have a few other places to visit. I want to stop at Bulk Barn to stock up on ingredients for Christmas fruit cakes. I also want to go to Fabricville to buy some machine needles and a piece of purple fabric I need. I just hope they still have it as I am short about 1/2 meter to finish a top. Then a stop at Tim Horton's for soup, sandwich and muffin to tide us over. I will not be cooking a meal this evening as I will be too tired....old age is setting in, LOL! After the groceries are stored away, I may get at some hand quilting...we will see how things play out.

Have a great day everyone.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I wish, I wish, I wish I was quilting this weekend! I have a wall hanging in mind for outside my front door for Christmas but won't be able to get to in until after next weekend. This weekend I'm housecleaning for the company coming on Monday morning. And packing for the trip we're all taking together.
    It will be fun, but today I wish I was quilting!

Kate

• calliope
    13 years ago

Yes, I'm working on the last assembly to a log cabin quilt. I've done pillowcases in this pattern, but wanted to have a full sized quilt. I had a few very large pieces of material I can't see using for anything else, and wanted to work them down in my fabric stash, so make it using those and they wouldn't have been my first choice. But you know how quilts are. Somebody would really like it even if it's not my cuppa tea.

I have worked on it one to two hours a day since Sunday last, so essentially it will have taken me a week to do it because I wanted to try to do one entirely by chain stitching in an assembly line to see if it really does save time and still not be boring as heck. (I like the instant gratification of doing one block at a time). The answer is yes, it does save a lot of time and no...I wasn't bored silly.

I have another quilt I sort of lost interest in because it was a humdinger hanging on the design wall. I have one more dresden plate to do, cut into quarters and use them as a cornerstone in each corner of the quilt and then I can assemble those blocks. This one is paper pieced and is one of those 'keepers' I'll spend time on, and prolly hand quilt. So........yes, I've been pleasantly busy messing around in the sewing room.

We'll do thanksgiving on 'the day' at my my kid's farm. Over the river and through the woods etc. I'm cooking the bird, some pies and homemade noodles.

• polardream
    13 years ago

Everyone sounds really busy! Friday I finished my "round" on the Cross-Country Quilters round-robin. Will mail tomorrow. We had 24 folks from church at our house for Mexican potluck & cards last night so house is cleaned for Thanksgiving (except to wash the floors).

Made one tote bag this afternoon (2 more to go by the 3rd). Going through my stash & using stuff on hand ... it's amazing how many FQ a person can have ...

DH will finish the grocery shopping tomorrow (bless his heart!). We will have Thanksgiving here - DS & 2 of his friends will come from Vail area & one neighbor (his wife & one daughter will be out of town) so 6 for dinner. I do all the cooking - call it "control" issues or whatever, but I do love cooking all the dishes and enjoying the day with family & friends!

We rented "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - I've read the 1st two books & am on the 3rd one ... hope the movie is as good as the books!

Enjoy your evening! Sue

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

The only quilting I got done this weekend is a block I needed to make for an exchange for my guild tomorrow night. We went to my sister's on friday ( 4 hours there, stayed 5 hours then drove 4 hours back) Saturday we had tickets for The Gourmet Food and Wine Show in Toronto and Sunday I took 2 of our 3 grandsons to the Santa Clause Parade. They sure tired me out. DH stayed home as he still has alot of work to do outside before the snow hits. I am not sure how much he got done because it was dark when I got home.
    Sounds like everyone is busy preparing for the holidays!

Geraldine-I can tell you are from Canada from the names of the stores you went to. Are you in Quebec or the Maritimes?

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

It was such a busy weekend, but I actually got a lot done! We went to Nashville on Friday for my dh to attend a meeting and meet up with some old college friends. Some of them hadn't seen each other in 30 years! It was a lot of fun. On the car ride up, I finished the binding on another tic-tac-toe quilt. We came back home on Saturday and I finished the November lotto block (yeah!!). Then back to Nashville on Sunday for the Titans game (boo, they lost :-( ). Another car ride and I finished the binding on the last of the tic-tac-toe quilts.

And, I won my eBay bid on a new sewing machine (Brother PC420) last night!! I am so excited. I hope I can have it shipped to receive by the end of the week.

I hope this coming week, I can get the paper piece lotto block done. I finished the applique block last Monday, so I just about have my package ready to mail.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I didn't quilt at all this weekend but I didn't forget all of you. I drove almost 1000 miles over 3 days for a family funeral, stopping to sleep and am now back home. I Visited a dear friend, saw a dear grandson and managed to shop for fabric. I spent a few hours with my mother, aunts and cousins before we all went our separate ways toward home. I took a rest at a favorite quilt shop and saw fabrics that inspired a new project - as if I can't get inspired at my local shops.

I was disappointed to find one favorite shop had gone out of business without me knowing it. Wish I'd had more time to play tourist but had to get right back for responsibilities at home.

Will start my Monday by quilting the border on a large wallhanging so I can bind it and get on with the next one. I'm determined to get some FMQ done this week so I can start something new I have in mind - with the new fabrics I brought home.

We're going nowhere for TG nor have family coming. I'll cook for us three and we'll eat out some but it will give me a quiet few days of quilting and maybe some shopping. I know that holiday is approaching and, OMG, I must get to thinking about all that.