Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Watch this

calliope
10 years ago

POP up twice. I posted it earlier today and the post disappeared. So, here it comes again. This is the unintended quilt. It just happened during a hiatus from quilting I said I was going to take. Easy, easy pattern and I just wanted something to work on a short while those days I felt like puttering in the sewing room. And suddenly, I had enough blocks to make a quilt. It's quilted, STD. Just need to bind it off. If I can get it done in the next week, it's going to a Children's home in Mexico.

Comments (20)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

That is fantastic looking! Aren't you amazed at how great it looks when you weren't planning-planning-planing?
    Great use of scraps and not tooo scrappy :~).
    Wonderful work and a super quilt - someone will be happy.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Someone will really cherish it.

Donna

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Really like it.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Don't you love how blocks you make just playing around come together and makes it look like this is what was intended from the beginning? I do!!! Great job!

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Wow...that turned out great ... The Unintentional Quilt...looks great!
    V.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That turned out to be a winner. The children will love your colors. Good job.

• polardream
    10 years ago

Lovely! And some lucky child will be the grateful recipient. Two blessings!
    Sue

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I find that it's really good to have a project that's a "no-brainer." Sometimes I just don't want to have to think or plan; I just want to cut up scraps or sew them together. When you end up with a wonderful quilt like yours, all the better. Nice job.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

It's beautiful.
    LindaB/CA

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Great idea for a charity quilt that looks fabulous!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

It's wonderful, a great design & very nicely colored. Is there a name for that pattern pls? (Am surprised I've never seen it before.)

Bright & happy for a kids' home, it'll be great, good for you!

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gosh, I was hoping someone could tell me if they knew the name of the pattern. In the original quilt, the red squares were replaced with the four patch alternating the hour glass squares, but I wanted something in a common fabric to pull it all together and not make the quilt quite so busy. Thank you all for the nice comments, and today I got the back seam hand finished, but still have to do the binding. One of my dearest friend's just died, got the call this morning and I had to really mentally push myself to do the hand work on this and I suspect I may spend Friday driving to the funeral, not to mention I think a tooth is abscessing and I need to make a panic run to my dentist if I can get in. IOW, I should have done the binding sooner, it's gonna be a push to have it done by Sunday. But I'll try.

• chickie1
    10 years ago

Really like this. It's amazing the different designs that pop out when you look at it.
    Darlene

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I love it!
    Linda OH

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I have seen the hour glass unit mixed with a lot of different others in a scrappy quilt and all were very pretty. None of them I have seen really had a name, just called scrappy quilts.

I'm cutting scraps to make this one from the Connecting Threads catalog. It's the hour glass and a 16 patch unit. They sell it as a kit but I have planet of scraps to use lol!!!!
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: Maama'sChoiceQuilt

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it turned out really well. Congrats on finishing it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    10 years ago

The quilt is beautiful and the child will love it. The kids are so appreciative of something special just for them.

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks..........the deadline was met and it went on its way last weekend along with another gift she might enjoy to play with. The children at this particular home are often not eligible to be placed for adoption, and are there for the long term. The older girls all have quilts on their beds, and in a communal facility like that, it's often nice to have something durable like that of their very own they can take with them when they are old enough to be on their own to remind them that other people really do care.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I love using the hourglass block.
    Rosa, Remember this one from a few years ago?

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pow.....wow............never seen one done with the black/white backgrounds. How dramatic!