Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristy_seiler

To border or not to border

Vanislegirl88
10 years ago

Assembled this quilt for our 6 yr old granddaughter for Christmas. It's big enough for her bed already...meaning that it hangs over the sides now....so...should I add a double border or leave it the way it is...your thoughts?

Comments (13)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I'd use two borders just for the color accent. I'd put a narrow inner border and a wider outer border in bright colors like the pink and blue. That's just what I would do.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Love your quilt, and she will too!
    I agree with toolgranny - the plain border is just to plain for this girlie cute quilt - it needs another festive outer border in the bright colors.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Way too cute...it makes me smile just looking at it. I think you can't go wrong, border or no border. If you do border, I agree with you and would do two borders, but my preference would be two thin strips for the border.
    Adorable quilt!!!
    V.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

It is delightful but I agree it needs a narrow inner border (I would like pink) and an outer border about the width of one of the blocks. It think that could be colorful but I rather like the wow you have in the quilt with a scrappy binding of the mixed colors. What ever you decide will be appreciated and very pretty. TFS

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Great work! Wonderfully vibrant, kind of bright pastels (bit of an oxymoron?). Love the effectiveness of the white-on-white.

I'd agree abt 2 borders: a thin inner one, maybe solid green, pink or blue w/ a wider border of one of the prints or related fabric. As was suggested about a block wide.

Great job, hope she loves it. Pls post update pix when done.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Adoreable. I agree...borders.
    LindaB/CA

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

I agree about an inner thin border of any color, and an outer wider colorful border. Since you already have four-patches at the intersections of the lattices, you could do that also in the wider border, using the white strips just as you did the lattices and alternate with the four-patches, placing them at the ends of each of the existing lattices.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I think a border would give this a 'finished' appearance. It would look ok without, but complete with. :-)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Cute, Cute, Cute! I love it! I vote for the border too. She will love it.
    Rosa

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I think bordering the quilt would give it a finished appearance. Since you have color running right to the edge, another option would be to have a white-on-white border the same width and fabric as the sashing and then a binding of one of the bright colors. This wouldn't add very much in size, but would frame the quilt. It is an adorable quilt, by the way. Very beautifully done.

• Vanislegirl88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I figured it would need at least one border to give it a more "finished" look. I think I will go with the two borders. Nice to have somewhere to get opinions and ideas. :-) I'll post another pic when I'm finished.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

I think one 2 or 3" border in a solid color with a contrasting binding would be enough to give it a finished look....a lot less work too. Lol

• polardream
    10 years ago

What a darling quilt!! Your granddaughter will be one lucky girl. Everyone else gave you the same opinion I would - great minds think alike!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
    Sue