Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

December 2011 Monthly Block Lotto - Early Posting

User
13 years ago

Because many of us are doing our holiday sewing now, it was suggested that we have a very simple December block lotto that will take advantage of those wonderful holiday fabric scraps being generated.

After feedback from lots of quilters, we're going with the broadest guidelines, so more folks will participate.

The block for December will be a simple 4 patch, with each square of the patch being 7-1/2". This will yield a finished 14" block that will allow the winner to do all sorts of slicing, dicing and re-arranging... in other words, play time in January!

The color guidelines are that the fabrics should be either all holiday prints or a combination of holiday prints with a corresponding solid color. Please don't use the same 2 solids in the same block, though, so the winner will be sure to have plenty of variety to work with.

For new folks joining us, the general rules & guidelines are listed below, as well as the address to send the blocks.

Happy holiday sewing everyone!!!

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month. The coordinator's address is:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

Comments (71)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buteau3rd, your lovely blocks arrived today. I especially like the fabric with the little angels and birds! Just whetting everyone's appetite for this drawing!

Kay

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Just moving this back to the top. I hope to finish mine today.

beverly

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Forgot, put me down for 3 please.

beverly

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Kay,

I've got three I will get in the mail later this week. Home from work sick today.

Dee

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm in for 2 this time. I should have them in the mail next week.

Robbi

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    mine are on the way
    also sent some scraps from the blocks.
    michelle

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They arrived today, Michelle.

So our count now is:
    micyrey: 3, received + EXTRA FABRIC!
    quiltpartner: 3, received
    petalpatsy: 3
    polardream: 3, received
    buteau3rd: 3, received
    lafonda_ranch: 2
    faintheart: 3
    grammyp: 3
    kay_in_pa: 3, done

That's 26 HUGE blocks! Did I miss anyone?? And it's only the beginning of December! Whoo hoo and HO HO HO!!!

Kay

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Kay, I should get mine in the mail tomorrow. I just noticed, the thread is titled December 2011, does that mean we are all really early?

beverly

• calliope
    13 years ago

I just got three done this morning. Kay, you can put me in for three and shall post them the next time I am in town near the post office. LOL Grammy P!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good heavens! I lost a year! Busy thinking about the January applique/paper pieced lotto at the time, I guess.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Thinking of you today, Kay, as you get your second surgery. My husband posted three december blocks yesterday. You should get them sometime this week.

Still plenty of time guys, to get these simple four patches run off from your Christmas fabric. Whoever gets this stash shall hit the mother load.

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Mine are in the mail. Keep an eye out for them, please.

beverly

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Calliope & grammyp, your blocks have arrived.

It's really looking Christmasy around here with all this holiday fabric!

And, Beverly, thanks so much for the card. It, too, is contributing very much to the holiday spirit. Because of post-op limitations (can't let my eyes get below my heart, so no bending), we're not having a tree this year. What a blessing, though, to be able to actually SEE all the decorations around our valley.

And it's mighty festive at home with cards & quilt squares!

Kay

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I'm hoping to participate this month, if I can just get through today! This is the day of our big neighborhood Holiday party. Started out years ago with just neighbors, but it's grown to include old friends and people from both of our workplaces. I just found out that my husband's CEO from his new job is coming! Yikes! I've never met him so now the pressure is really ON!!!

I've got lots of Christmas fabric and I'm sure some of it is still in pieces big enough for this challenge. Tomorrow I'll get it all out and do some relaxed sewing while eating party leftovers. Oh, I'm looking forward to tomorrow! LOL

Kate

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

faintheart, your blocks arrived last Saturday. Sorry for the delay in letting you know. My Mom had surgery Tuesday & I've been traveling back & forth to WV to help her. All is well, thank goodness!

Everyone, you would not BELIEVE the variety of holiday prints that are coming into this lotto. WOW, such beauty & joy just opening the envelopes!

Current count:

micyrey: 3, received + EXTRA FABRIC!
    quiltpartner: 3, received
    petalpatsy: 3
    polardream: 3, received
    buteau3rd: 3, received
    lafonda_ranch: 2
    faintheart: 3, received
    grammyp: 3, received
    kay_in_pa: 3, done
    calliope: 3, received
    k8orlando: still hoping to do some

That's 29 blocks promised + Kate's and anyone else who wants to jump in by the end of the month. That's enough for 2 quilts!!!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I did three blocks today and will be mailing them on Monday. Sorry to cut the timing so short! I know the slowness of Holiday mail may delay their arrival but I'm hoping they'll still get there by the 31st.

Kate

• carolnv
    13 years ago

I finished sewing 3 blocks today (started the beginning of the month, where did the time go?!). Will put in mail tomorrow, when I mail out some other packages. Sorry for the last minute arrival, the month got away from me.

• grammyp
    13 years ago

I am afraid I will not be able to get my blocks out this month. I have been called in for extra days at work and some family things have come up. I hope this won't cause any problems.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Beverly, from Kay's list it looks like you've already sent yours in!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep, I just double checked. Beverly you sent your blocks along with a lovely card!

You were so far ahead you missed yourself coming & going!

Kay

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Oh my, I need a rest!

beverly

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Here's a link to an easy tutorial for stacking/slicing/splicing blocks that may work great for these 4 patches.

stack n slice tutorial

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Kay, I got mine in the mail yesterday. Hopefully the PO is slowing down a bit and you'll get them the first of the week.

Robbi

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolnv & k8orlando, your lovely blocks arrived Thursday & Friday.

And, Kate, thanks for the thank you card! I enjoy moderating the lotto, and getting to see all the blocks come in.

This month, though, I'm rather puzzled about where around here I can possibly get a picture of ALL of these blocks in one shot! I think we'll have enough blocks that they could completely CARPET a room, and I'd have to hang from the ceiling to get the shot!

Kay

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Wow...the participation this month is awesome even with the busy holidays! Will be neat to see the project(s) the winner creates with all those blocks. I'm excited to see who the lucky winner will be. Kay, maybe you should wait till new year's eve to hang from the ceiling. :-)

Dee

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Once that machine got put up off the dining room table, I was in another world. Too much going on!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robbi, your blocks came yesterday. I especially like those ornament fabrics... beautiful!

Kay

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

29 blocks, right?!? Wowie zowie.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

are we drawing yet? when do we draw? do we draw today? do we draw tomarrow? do we do we?
    michelle

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

LOL

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm tallying them up now. Then I'll need a couple of volunteers to pick a name. Just want to make sure that what arrived tallies with the signups.

I'll pop back in at about 6 or so to see who's here to help choose... and watch with bated breath!!!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, as soon as a couple of people are available I'll do the drawing. I'll send one the list of names with a number attached. Once that person verifies receipt, I'll have someone else pick a number from 1-32 to see who wins this humongous lotto prize!

• calliope
    13 years ago

I'm sitting here now, Kay.....if you're on

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm on. I'll send you the list, and then as soon as we get another person on, they'll pick the number.

Kay

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I am online

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just posted under other thread.

We need a number between 1 and 29, please to determine who the winner of the December lotto is.

Many thanks!

Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

Are you all ready? Drum roll?

I almost am reluctant to tell you the winner, but I let out such a whoop when magothyrivergirl called it I think you can imagine. She called my number.

I don't win often in drawings, so I am absolutely thrilled to have won it. And I want to thank all of you for participating in this one. What a jackpot.

Kay.........Honestly I will not be making two Christmas quilts. I would like to split this one with another lucky winner if you would have someone call another number. I'll take half and they can have half and two people can celebrate. I'll send you some extra postage money if need be. Calliope

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, that sounds VERY generous!

Magothyrivergirl, would you pick another number, please?

Kay

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Super lucky #....11

• calliope
    13 years ago

You'll have to pick another one......I have that number as well. LOL. Do you think I was meant to win this, or what???

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Wow oh wow!!!~~LOL
    Super - super lucky winner # 29

• calliope
    13 years ago

Whew......

This time we have a second winner and that would be...........

Carolnv

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Congrats to the winners!
    You are a sweetheart to share Calliope! Very generous.
    This was fun - each number had a significance to me -
    Happy New Year!!

• calliope
    13 years ago

I just had a ball with this.....Thank you so much Kay for all the work the lottos involve (been there and done that) and especially this month's lotto with all those blocks. Considering you had two surgeries in there to boot.

Happy New Year everyone. (I am so excited)

I'm sure Kay would like to tell you how generous another winner was this month.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, congrats to everyone!

The "other" generous winner was buteau3rd, who made 3 blocks for us and declined to enter the drawing. What a lady!

Congrats to calliope and carolnv. You're both getting a treasure trove!

In order to get a picture of all the blocks together, I'd have had to lay them out in the yard and take a picture from the deck! So they're posted on the Google docs December 2010 page by participant (link below).

Calliope, if you'd like, go ahead and choose which blocks you'd like so I'll know how to split them! No need for extra postage, our postage kitty has been gradually creeping upward, so there's enough to cover the split packages.

Again. congratulations to EVERYONE for such a wonderful lotto month! What a great way to close 2010!

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: December 2010 Block Photos

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Congratulations to both of you, it was so very nice to share. Please post pictures when you finish your quilts.

beverly

• carolnv
    13 years ago

WOW! Calliope, that was a generous thing for you to do, and because of that, I get to share in the winnings! I'm so excited! What a great way to end 2010 and so exciting to think about making a quilt. It'll be my first and a goal I set for myself for 2011. I mainly do tablerunners, so it'll be a challenge. Thanks so much. Happy New Year everyone! Carolnv

• calliope
    13 years ago

Well, I have fireplaces in every room of our old house and I have never made a mantle piece or table runner. I was thinking of using my block stash for those or maybe a tree skirt.......another thing I have been wanting to do, Carol so we both may be fulfilling a goal for 2011.

Kay, I have no preferences as to which blocks you send me (maybe Carol does) so I'm happy with any of them. They're all super.

• polardream
    13 years ago

Congrats to the winners! lucky ladies

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Like Calliope, I have no preference to the beautiful blocks. So, divide them up and send us some of each person's and I'll be one happy quilter! Both my DH and MIL were so excited for me, when I told them this morning! My MIL was watching me sew them together, so it'll be great to receive the blocks!