Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

Bright Eyes pics

rosajoe_gw
12 years ago

This is almost finished but I have to put it away until after the holidays. Once Halloween gets here time flys and I need to get back to the 'cats' quilt so I can have it completed by Christmas.

Rosa

{{!gwi}}

Comments (44)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I love it, so bright and cheery!
    Theresa

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Theresa, I second that! Very nice!

• sometimequilter
    12 years ago

Looks like you frequent the same boards I do. And this is just as pretty here as it was on that other board which shall remain un-named due to all the recent controversy. LOL

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

A happy choice of colors!

• jackier123
    12 years ago

Love it!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Oh, Rosa, it's beautiful! I'm sorry you have to put it away for a while.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rosa, this is beautiful. I love the bright colors. The center is perfect.
    You make really different, very pretty quilts. I always like them. Are you keeping this one?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Rosa, Rosa, Rosa!!!! I love this quilt......I must make a quilt using this pattern. But, it must be later....sigh.

It's beautiful!!!!!

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    12 years ago

What pattern is this quilt? Is it a commercial pattern? If so where can I purchase it?

Jackie

• polardream
    12 years ago

Oh Rosa that is so beautiful! I agree with Jackie -is it a commercial pattern? I would love to make one too!

Sue

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

that's a wonderful choice of colors. I love it. The white BG just makes it look so fresh and lively. What will you do for borders?

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Oh, I want one!

beverly

• User
    12 years ago

My favorite combination! You're heading toward an heirloom with this one.
    Dianne

• day2day
    12 years ago

Such a happy quilt. I love the layout. Those brights really stand out against the white background. My sister loves bright colors on white. I may try a version of yours in a lap size for her birthday. Please, I also would like to know if it's a bought pattern.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I love it!! I also love the bright colors. Those are the same colors I'm using in my Dear Jane quilt. I hope it comes out as pretty.

Robbi

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Oh, my! What a lovely, cheery quilt! At first I thought you used solids looking at it on my small home monitor. But now I see those are tone-on-tone fabrics? I can see how that design would do well in other color ways, too.

Well done, Rosa!
    Teresa

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That is a sparkling, lovely quilt. Can't wait to see it finished.

• gininmn
    12 years ago

Just looking at it makes me feel warm inside. Lovely!

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! I have to take out the Jacob's ladder in the top right hand corner and turn it around lol!!!! It is amazing what you (I) notice in a pic that I don't see on my design floor!!! All I have left to do is add the 2&1/2x2&1/2 white and alnernate colored unit to the sides to match the top and bottom but the 'cat' quilt is giving me a fit and I want to make sure it's done before Christmas.

If you print out this pic you can see that the quilt works in (5) 16&1/2x16&1/2" rows down. I added 2&1/2 by 12&1/2 sashing around the block to make it 16&1/2 to match the log cabins surrounding the center.

This is a 12&1/2" center set on point to make it 16&1/2, All are tradiitonal blocks. I enjoyed making it because I love samplers!
    (16) 8&1/2 log cabins
    (4) 12&1/2 bear paws (4)12&1/2 Jacob's ladder
    (4) 9 patch variation
    (52) flying geese

Yep I am keeping this one 'cause most of my fam will say 'what were you thinking' lol.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Great layout, great colors, extremely appealing! This is beautiful and will be the quilt everyone wants on their bed!

Kate

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Very impressive. I like the use of the patterns you chose and the center is just the right thing to tie them together. Your usual great job. TFS Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Rosa, Thank you for the info. It's been decided (by me) that you bring this quilt to the Spring Retreat and Beverly and I can get started on one at that time.....with your help. @:)

I think choice of color is a huge factor in this pattern.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Are you going to the Spring Retreat Rosa????
    Sharon, can I play too?

I keep looking at this quilt! I like it so much!!!

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll help everyone make it!!!! I agree Sharon it is the color combo, and I used pink, green, blue, red, and sort of a goldenrod.

I can't make it to the spring retreat. I have a wedding, birthday party, and the blood drive too close to that date.

I'm hoping for the fall retreat though!!!
    Rosa

• lola99
    12 years ago

I love your quilt! You did a wonderful job of making all the different blocks tie together. I don't remember seeing a "sampler" quilt look so unified.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Great quilt...now everyone will want one!

Thanks for posting....it is beautiful!

Gwen

• chickie1
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Love the colors.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Rosa, Do you have an idea of how much fabric you used of each color? I want to go through my stash, see what I have available, start collecting and be ready!!!

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon I used all from my stash and the most used was the white background.

I will figure it out for you and post!

I had a charity event where I stood from 2pm until 8pm on cement to serve yesterday and today I helped my BIL pick up Pee cans (LOL!). Tomorrow I just want to quilt!!!!!
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rosa - I gotta ask - what are Pee Cans?

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Okay - I thought about where you live.....you must mean the nut --- am I right??? hahahaha!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Rosa, Does your BIL take his pee-cans to a cracker or does he do them himself? I remember those days. lol With them as expensive as they are, he'll have a mint going at his house. Will he share with you? He better!!!! You deserve to quilt as long as you want to tomorrow and all next week, too!

I'm hoping I can pull it all from my stash.....sigh. Wouldn't want to have to buy any fabric. ;)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha, yes, here they are pee-cans lol!!!! My DH (from Arizona) still has to learn the southern languauge lol!!!!!

My BIL is a sweetie and so is my sis!!! I offered to help so we can get them sold and use the money for things to send to my nephew (their son) in Afghanistan. My BIL wanted to pay me half of the money he gets for selling them!! I declined, and I will keep some of the nuts for my daughter.

We picked up about 6 five gallon buckets from the ground and then he will have the trees shaken to get the rest to the ground. We use a wire basket thingie but it's still hard on your back and both of them have back problems.

I don't but I did last night lol!!!!!I'm glad they only have 7 trees lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is what I used for the center block in EQ7. Sorry it's so big but EQ7 and Photobucket do not play together very well lol!!!
    I tried resizing 3 times and gave up.
    I used 7 different colors of about 1 yard or less each. The background will be about 5 yards. Finished size is approximately 80x80.

(12) 2x2 colored squares
    (8) 2x2 white squares
    (8) 2x3&1/2 white rectangles

I made my center logs red and pink - but you can use any colors you chose

(4) red 2x6&1/2 with white 2x2 square sewn on tip on diagonol right to left
    (4) blue & green 2x5 with white 2x2 square sewn on tip on diagonol left to right

add triangle white corners to set 12&1/2 inch block on point
    finished center block should measure 16&1/2 x 16&1/2

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Rosa! I have it all set to print and I think I can pull from my stash for it.....except for the background.

SharonG/FL

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Awesome! I have some of these fabrics. They sure are bright!

Rebecca

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

We love pee-cans here at our house, too!! I especially love a pee-can pie :-)

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Robbi even their pets eat pecans, I was shelling pecans and feeding them!!! They followed me around all day begging!

You're welcome Sharon!!! I posted how to make the (16) 8&1/2" log cabins and it has disappeared, drats. I'll repost it this afternoon.

Rebecca my fabrics were so bright but the background makes them blend in. My sis is a 'pastel' type and I showed it to her and she loved it. I was really surprised!

Rosa

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Rosa, you've designed and made a wonderful quilt. I love the name. Was that your idea too? Lois

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I love the quilt top you made!!! Love all the bright colors!!! I am wanting to start a scrap quilt next year once I get 3 UFO's finished. Thank you for sharing, your quilt is a real inspiration!!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting all this detail Rosa. I have to buy fabric, so I need the amounts of each color also - or at least an estimate please. No hurry - I have to finish 5 quilts for Christmas - 2 of them going to "Pee Can" country ~lol~ so I have to get moving on them!
    Thanks again so much for sharing this design.

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

You go girl! That is beautiful!!!!

Vic~

• salijo
    12 years ago

Beautiful!
    Salijo

• bonica
    12 years ago

Wow! When you finally pull that out to work on it again I bet you will be amazed at what you've created.
    Good Job!
    Bon
    :)