Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Pin Cushion Christmas Gifts

quiltingfox
10 years ago

My sister and I are doing a small joint gift for Mom for Christmas. My sister bought the fabric and then I hand pieced this Saw Tooth Star 4.5" x 4.5" x 1.5" pin cushion to go with Mom's new sewing box and notions. Took me about 2 days / 8 hours to make --- really happy with the way it turned out. As time permits hoping to make more of them as gifts for other family members. So 1 Christmas present is finished.

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (15)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

How cute! Your sis got the easier part of the deal ~LOL~
    Your Mom is sure to treasure this special gift made with so much love. You should both sign and date it -- a little label for the back.
    This is a true keepsake.
    Your Handwork amazes me.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Very nice, Sandra. I like the looks of your pink scissors. Is your mom a 'pink' person, too? :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Marsha, I had not thought of putting a label on the back of it, but I could probably get S-I-L to make a label for it on her embroidery machine. Mom will just love it cause it is something hand-made. Thanks Sharon, I got my pink fiskars scissors at Walmart when the school supplies were out. I am not really sure what my Mom's favorite color is. My sister sent me these fabrics as well as some yellow and some purples, but doing pink, well pink is just my favorite color, I am the pink person in the family. I am glad I got this finished, next will be making one for M-I-L --- she wants hers to look like my Mom's pincushion only with a pastel pink button. I did like how with this project I can sit at my desk and do it as it is small to layout. This is about the smallest I have ever pieced though, I think after doing this I am now a little more comfortable with the idea of making a mini-quilt as a wall hanging, maybe a project for next year. I love quilting, I learn something new with each project I do, it's never boring.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Not just pretty, but a really personal and loving gift!
    LindaB/CA

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

It turned out very well, and I bet your Mom does love it.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bunches Linda and petalpatsy. I will try to upload pics as I get more pincushions completed between now and Christmas.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 16:33

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally finished hand piecing all the pincushion Christmas presents this weekend. My favorite S-I-L is making me embroidery labels for them. Hope everyone has a very merry Christmas!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Beautiful!
    LindaB/CA

• day2day
    10 years ago

These are just soooooo cute!

I will have to try one for my sis. She is the only other family member that sews/quilts. She would love this pincushion.

Thanks for the inspiration.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Very pretty keepsake gifts from the heart. I am glad you decided to label them - you are so fortunate to have such a sweet SIL~ and with an embroidery machine!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

They are adorable. I'm sure everyone will smile each time they use them.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches! Geraldine the top saw tooth star block measures 4" square finished size, so 4 & 1/2 inches square unfinished size and same for the bottom square and then the side walls measure 1 & 1/2 inches tall finished size, 2 inches unfinished tall - I just cut a long 2" wide/tall strip and then once I got it sewed on I trimmed the length of the strip down to fit. I am really happy with how they turned out, they are not perfect, but made with love. These were fun mini projects and took me 2 to 3 afternoons to make each one. Hope everyone one enjoys their Christmas and holidays.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• chrizty
    10 years ago

LOVE them! You did a awesome job :)

• day2day
    10 years ago

Sandra. thanks for the measurements. I did make 2 of them for my sister for Xmas.

TFS.

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bunches Christy, glad you like them especially since one of them is yours. Glad that was helpful Geraldine. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and wonderful 2014.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio