Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Finally finished! Hubby's birthday quilt.

msmeow
12 years ago

Well, his birthday was Oct. 19, so I didn't quite make it. As often happens, life got in the way! Anyhow, it's finally done. The pattern is Kentucky Log Cabin from Judy Martin's Log Cabin Book.

Don't even ask how many pieces are in this top...the border has 600-something squares alone! And with the exception of a couple of brown fat quarters, it all came from my stash.

Donna

Comments (29)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous. I wish I'd seen that layout before I put my log cabin together. I know how much work that was and you are so brave to persevere. Good job.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Donna, You've done a marvelous job and it's a beauty! I saw this layout before the book was even printed and loved it then! Sooooo, how did DH like it???

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He likes it a lot, Sharon! I named in Max's Log Cabins and put a picture of our Max we just lost on the label.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Oh WOW! Beautiful! I can't believe you got it finished so fast. All those pieces - how did you you keep them in order?
    Were you able to surprise him?
    Good tribute to your Max.
    How did you quilt it?

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

AWESOME!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Fantastic!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!!!

• polardream
    12 years ago

Donna, it is beautiful! I am sure your husband loves the quilt and the dedication to your Max.
    Sue

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Donna, A work of art. Love the log cabin layout. Have not seen if before but surly will look for it.
    I see lots of X kisses in the pattern, just the thing for a DH. Great job, TFS. Jayne

• gininmn
    12 years ago

A beautiful quilt. I'm sure your DH feels it's well worth the wait. My brother's birthday is Oct. 19 too.

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Great job Donna! I bet it is much appreciated. I love the pattern you used.

Rebecca

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! I have never done a log cabin, but it is on my to-do-list. I love the colors you used and the cabins themselves.

Robbi

• karpet
    12 years ago

Ooooh, very nice! Beautiful job!
    Karlene

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That is stunning and the fabrics are wonderful together. I love Judy Martin patterns. They are not the simplest but they are beautiful.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Oh, my gosh! What an incredible amount of work! You did a wonderful job, Donna. He must be a special guy to deserve this lovely quilt. Lois

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous as all of your quilts are Donna!!! I love the fabrics. I agree Judy's patterns are well worth the trouble.
    Rosa

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all!

MRG - I surprised him with it right after his BD even though it wasn't finished yet. Judy recommends using silverware trays to organize the pieces, but I used the "baggie" method LOL. I quilted it on my Hinterberg frame with my Juki machine.

Lois - he is a special guy! We've been married 28 years but have known each other since 1976. He's a rock - always calm in every situation. And he puts up with me, which is no small thing! :)

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous! Great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the 28 years of Marriage! That is a biggie!

The quilt is outstanding! I remember your posts about working on it when he wasn't around...it made it all worth it!

Kudos on BOTH!
    Gwen

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Beautiful,i'm sure he loves it!1
    Kathi

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Just want to say I saw Donna's DH's quilt last night at our Guild's Show N Tell...it got a lot of "OOOO"s and "Ahh"s. It is spectacular in real life! It was done with such love, devotion and accuracy.
    Donna you should be proud!

Gwen

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Oh that's a beautiful! quilt!!! :-) Thank you for sharing.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aw, thanks Gwen! :)

• petalpatsy
    12 years ago

That's really lovely!

• User
    12 years ago

Holy Smokes, Batman, that's some incredible quilt!
    I applaud your stick-to-it-ness.

Wow, wow, wow.

Dianne

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Once again I'm sorry I missed a guild meeting because I missed seeing this quilt! Arrgghhh!
    It's gorgeous and the details are amazing! I agree with all the "WOW!"s that have been posted. The tribute to your Max makes it even more special.

Kate

• lola99
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt! I have not seen this layout for a log cabin before. It's great. Congratulations

Lola

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Wow! It's fantastic! Lucky DH! ;)

Deanna

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

That is just beautiful! The colors that you used for the log cabins are great. Thanks for sharing the picture.
    Jeanne