Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

Tube quilt blocks

rosajoe_gw
14 years ago

I had heard of this a while back and never watched the video. This is really cool!!!!

It's as fun as the D9P and has very little waste (as far as I can tell from the video lol).

I'm not at home this week, but just as soon as I get home I'm gonna try this technique for a Fall table runner.

I haven't had a chance to look at the one on Cozy Quilt Design.

Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: tube quilt tutorial

Comments (37)

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Rosa-this is so cool. You find the greatest tutorials and ideas. I enjoy all the ones you post & look forward to you sharing these ideas you find. Many Thanks !!!

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You so welcome!!! I am just amazed that people come up with these ideas LOL!!!!
    Rosa

• calliope
    14 years ago

Neat....LOL. One finds speed sewing techniques themselves if they play around enough. I am a little confused, however, unless I am having a mental lapse right now.

If you take two strips of fabric 2.5" wide and sew them together with quarter inch seams, you shall have a finished width of four and a half, won't you? Not four and a quarter. So if you cut a third fabric four and a quarter inch wide to sew them too, won't you come up a quarter inch shy? Not a big issue, but better to catch that before you cut material with that hanging in your mind and then having to scrap it. Or, am I not reading this right?

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

calliope~I went back & viewed it again~my match & your's agree~ are we missing something???

• calliope
    14 years ago

I don't think so, LOL. I think it was a little flub.

• fran1523
    14 years ago

That was great. Saved it to my idea file.

• nana24
    14 years ago

Thanks Rosa,
    I saw this last week but the lady would not share where she got it or how it was done. Go figure. I did not press the issue. Now I know how too! :)
    It really is easy and looks like fun.
    Hope everyone is having fun sewing.
    Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sally,
    My entire career I worked with people like that. I don't understand them at all. My last job, in computers, I know it was because if we knew what they knew then somebody wouldn't be needed, and it just may be them.
    But for a fellow quilter that is really sad.
    Normally we can't wait to share everything we know LOL!!!
    Rosa

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

It's a very cool site, I'm fascinated. Thanks for posting it, I've been playing around w/ what fabrics to use just to try it. I agree abt the measurement thing -- it SHOULD result in 4.5" not 4.25". Yet I too had one come out to 4.5, the other closer to 4.25" (tho' I cut have cut that one better). I imagine I can still get an idea of how the blocks end up.

My issue is I've had to go back to the tute a couple of times & see how she's lining up the ruler to the fabric, have looked twice, am confused. Have to look again as I still have't cut my fabrics & now I'm ready. I didn't cut full WOF strips, but think I've made long enough tubes to try a couple of blocks. Back to the tute!!

• jck1210
    14 years ago

This is very cool!! Thanks!!

• nana24
    14 years ago

Rosa,
    I made my first project from this tube. And I agree, one of the most exciting things about quilting is sharing what I learn with another quilter.
    Pirate girl, I had to smile at your post. Apparently my measuring or cutting isn't "perfect" either but after I sewed and cut 4 tubes I squared them all to 5 1/2 " inches. There were only small slivers so I think if I had been more precise they would have been 5 3/4' blocks. I had 32 squares. I made a table topper and have two blocks to make hot pads. I will try to post a picture later.

Thanks again, Rosa
    Sally

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sally, so what measurements did you cut the larger strip? 4.5" ???
    I can't wait to see your pictures! Maybe the lady who wouldn't share bought the special ruler to make hers ~~~heehee~~ and you didn't!!!!

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Well, I musta missed something -- I think in how the ruler was positioned & maybe over which (of 2 possible) seam lines. I cut mine out & they are the wrong SHAPE. If they were just rectangles instead of squares I could live w/ that -- but some they ended up the wrong shape w/ an angled bite out of it.

I did manage to square off 4 rectangles & they went together correctly to show me how the finished block looks; but the outside edges as against the 'third' fabric --- yikes I cut something wrong!!

Will try for some pix over the wknd, still a MIGHT cool block.

Thank you RosaJoe for sharing it!

• nana24
    14 years ago

Pirate girl,
    you do realize that as you cut every other one is a different configuration. One time one smaller stripe is in the middle and the next cut the other. Thus the first 4 cuts will make the hour glass. You can cut 8 pieces from one width of fabric.
    Using my 9 1/2" ruler and my tube laying across my cutting board,I just put the 45 degree line of the ruler on the sewn line at the bottom of my tube and made the first cut (that piece is just trimming to get ready to cut). Then I just slide the 45 degree line to the top sewn line, your ruler will, of course, be on point.
    I move that piece away and continue to slide my ruler up and down for each successive cut. (Wish I could be there to show you-I learn best visionally).

Good luck!
    Sally

• nana24
    14 years ago

Here are the pictures for my tube blocks.

The two blocks were left over from the 24 blocks but I also used 8 squares as fill in on the sides.

When I first put the middle together like it is I realized the strips were not even but decided I liked it after quilting in the ditch around it.

My batting was too thick and it is puffier than I would have liked but this was a trial.

This design was not on the tutorial-just my creation. The squares was what she made and she mentioned a chevron or zigzag.

Sally

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Sally, that is great. I love these little tips.

beverly

• lola99
    14 years ago

Rosa, thanks for the tutorial, I look forward to trying it. I recently bought a book on making things with jelly rolls and one of the quilts uses the same tube technique, but rather than using one large 4.5 inch strip, they use 2 more 2.5 inch strips sewn together (so you have 4 2.5 inch strips sewn together). It was hard for me to understand until I saw your tutorial.

Sally, thanks for sharing your pictures. I like your pattern. Is that a cat paw I see on the left side of your 2nd picture. :)

Lola

• calliope
    14 years ago

Lola, I'm laughing. How did I miss that? Precious.

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love your topper Sally!!!! I wanted punkin fabric for this year but I didn't want to add to my stash LOL. Maybe next year.
    This block comes together so fast, I think it would be great for charity quilts too.
    Ladies you can make your 2 strips any size you want but they must be the same size. The third larger strip must be the same size as the two sewn together.
    She did make a lil flub, Two 2&1/2 with a 1/4 seam allowance comes to 4&1/2 sewn to a larger 4&1/2 strip.
    I used my Companion Angle ruler to cut mine, I received it as a gift about 2 years ago and have never used it.
    I missed the kitty toe too, how cute!!!!!
    Rosa

• nana24
    14 years ago

It is a puppy paw. Actually, I am puppy sitting for a friend who had brain surgery for tremors last week. She did well. She is someone I met a couple of years ago and whom I visit because she could no longer drive because of the tremors. That is her hope that she will be able to drive again. I take Shadow to the vet sometimes and the groomer for her so he is used to being with me. He is easy to care for and I am enjoying having him here.

On another note: I figured out how I got the design in the middle of my topper. The seams should meet but only if the stripes are the same size. (That is what Rosa said :)) When I squared up my blocks using the 45 degree on the center of the block a small amount (about 1/8th inch) was cut from the smaller stripe with the point. Thus the off set;that little amount gets multiplied as I put the block together.
    I am making a Christmas topper and trying to be precise so I can use the entire block.

Sally

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Wow Nana,

Just SUPERB, color combinations & print design, it works so well; such a highly graphic effect from the strong contrast. I just love it. Can I say only half kiddingly that you should pls. make a pattern 'cause I guess you're gonna get requests.

Let me be the first to ask can I reproduce this exact setting sometime? Well not the middle slightly offset different size stripe thing but -- as the youngins' say --awesome!

• nana24
    14 years ago

Pirate girl,
    You are welcome to use my "mistake" any time. I figured you can reproduce this look by making the tube with two
    2 1/2" strips and a 4 1/2" strip then squaring the blocks to 5 1/2". That shortens up that outside point and causes the off set when you assemble it.

To those of you who noticed that Rosa told us about this tutorial just after I'd had someone who would not
    share how the tube worked, I have been really tempted to say look what I found on the computer and let her ask
    me how I got the offset. :) :)
    So far I have been nice but I also have not been to the LQS either. :)

Hope everyone has a great day and a great weekend!
    Sally

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sally I like the 'offset' too, I was thinking about doing that for the Christmas runner.
    You have created a new block!!
    If the 'lady' is at the LQS you need to take the gorgeous runner to show her LOL!
    Rosa

• calliope
    14 years ago

I like the offset on the blocks too and it looks very intentional and interesting.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Thanks Rosa for the tutorial and thank you sally for sharing what you did.Good job,and pretty runner.
    Kathi

• day2day
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link and pictures. This has me fascinated. I've watched the video and get the general idea. However, I am severely hearing-impaired so didn't get the vocal stuff. From your posts, I assume the first 2 strips are cut 2.5" and the third one 4.25". Can someone let me know if I missed any important size info or any other important info. Thank you.

~Geraldine

• nana24
    14 years ago

Geraldine,
    On the tutorial she says cut your smaller stripes 2 1/2" and your larger stripe 4 1/4" but we have agreed it is a slip up. If you sew two pieces 2 1/2" together with a 1/4" seam you will have a strip 4 1/2" wide. So the larger stripe needs to be 4 1/2" rather than 4 1/4" (they are to be even).

Have fun
    Sally

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Great topper, Sally!

Thanks for the link, Rosa. It was fun to do. I plan to make mine into Hot Dish Mats.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Somehow... I clicked on some comments following her tutorial
    also catching this error. I can't seem to get to it again..sigh..but she also says you can use any size (width) strips using the method (1st two strips cut same size - sew 1/4"seam, then the larger strip cut that width).
    I need time to try it.

• fran1523
    14 years ago

As I was looking through some old pictures, I remembered that I made this scrappy strip quilt using the tube method. I found the instructions in a book.

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran that is so pretty!!!
    Did you make your scrappy tubes the same way?????
    Rosa

• grammyp
    14 years ago

What awesome quilts from the tubes. Gotta try some. I also watched some of the other videos and really like the dresden plate also. Gonna try that one.

beverly

• nana24
    14 years ago

Fran, That is really neat! Your stripes go across then are cut to size and another piece is cut for the solid.
    It looks like you took a much larger cut.

TFS
    Sally

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the tube quilt tutorial. The pictures that you both posted are lovely!
    More ideas going around in my head...
    Jeanne

• calliope
    14 years ago

* Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 14:57

What awesome quilts from the tubes. Gotta try some. I also watched some of the other videos and really like the dresden plate also. Gonna try that one.

beverly

Well, I hope you're satisfied, Beverly! ;-)

I finished the baby quilt,and figured I'd turn my attention to three UFOs, but you had to mention the Dresden plate tutorial. I've always wanted to make one, and didn't figure I was ready for that one until I saw the tutorial. I says to myself "I could do THAT". So just for fun, I decide to make a few of the little rays and a few more happened, and suddenly I have this huge plate screaming for a center. It hits me, that it would probably only take a minimal amount of those big blocks to do a whole quilt, and I'm off and running again. You, you enablers you!

LOL. Gosh I love this place. It helps me rationalise my addiction.

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

This sounds so interesting but I can't open the tutorial. Is there an other site that gives the infomation? Jayne

• nana24
    14 years ago

Well, I had cut another set of blocks and sewed them together this morning. Guess what, putting them together as I did in the center will still give you an off set even if you don't trim up like I did the first time. So like someone said I guess we have a new pattern. The off set is not as big if you don't trim but it is there. Now I have to see if I keep increasing the blocks can I come to a point it will be even but that will have to be for another day. I'd have to increase the size of the strips but as Rosa said the important thing is the 2 smaller should equal the larger.
    If some one does that let us know.

NanaJayne,
    Sorry, you cannot open the tutorial but the concept is rather simple. On the tutorial she uses 3 materials--a red, a green and a print of holly green leaves and red berries on a beige background. She cuts width of fabric strips of the red and green at 2 1/2" and sews them together which makes a 4 1/2" strip. Then she cuts a 4 1/2" strip of the beige print width of fabric. She sews them together on both sides thus making a tube. Lay the stip out across your cutting board. Then with her 9 1/2" ruler she places the 45 degree line on the seam line (not the edge of the fabric) next to her and trims off the end at a 45 degree angle and you are ready to cut your blocks. Move the ruler to the top sewing line with the 45 degree line on the sewn seam line (not the edge of the fabric). Cut your 1st block. Slide the 45 degree line to the bottom sewing line and cut your second block. Continue moving the ruler up and down and cutting--you will get 7 or 8 blocks depending on width of your fabric. The green and red stipes will be alternated as you cut. If you put red and green together in the center you get an hourglass and with all 4 centers the same you get a square in a square.
    Jayne, hope this is helpful and not totally confusing.

Sally