Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrfectpeggy

Insul-brite insulated batting for potholders

purrfectpeggy
16 years ago

Is there a right or wrong side to this. That is, should the shiny side be facing out towards the fabric if you are using two layers or should the shiny side be facing each other? Doesn't state there is a right or wrong side on the instructions but thought I saw somewhere in the forum there was. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

When I made my potholders I used 2 layers because I wanted them to really protect my hand taking something from the oven.
    I don't think it really matters, but I placed the shiny side towards the fabric.
    Just remember that they should not be used in the microwave.
    I include that message in the gift, I just never know about my family LOL.
    Rosa

• new2quilting
    16 years ago

On their website they suggest:

*At least one layer of cotton batting is recommended with Insul~Bright when used as Oven Mitts or Pot Holders. Insul~Bright is heat-RESISTANT, NOT heat-proof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm company

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Here are previous threads on this forum with information about Insul-bright:

Making a hot padhref>

Anyone Here Make Potholders??href>

Need a Hot Iron Carrierhref>

• judy333
    16 years ago

Thanks for the previous threads links, maryliz!!! You made my life easier since I, too, am working on making my first potholder/hotpad.

• cmc_97
    16 years ago

Just another bit of data on this subject:

I just bought a potholder pattern that calls for Insul-brite. The instructions tell you to layer the potholder pieces with the shiny side of the Insul-bright facing "out", that is, facing what will be the HOT surfaces you will be holding. Then there is another layer of regular cotton batting against the fuzzy side on the Insul-brite - on the side that will be facing your hand.

HTH,
    CMC

• maryliz
    16 years ago

I second CMC's description of the layering process:

1) quilter's cotton (Perhaps use a print to represent the "hand" side.)
    2) one layer of regular batting
    3) one layer of Insul-Bright, with the shiny side facing toward the "hot" side
    4) quilter's cotton (Perhaps use a solid to represent the "hot" side.)

You don't want an extra layer of batting between the hot stuff and the Insul-Bright. You want the Insul-Bright to be able to reflect the heat back from where it came. Putting a layer of batting between the Insul-Bright and the heat would trap the heat inside the layers of the pot holder, so it would gradually build up heat. So that is why I recommend that you create a no-brainer way for people to know which side is for their hand. Perhaps a busy print on one side, and a solid color on the other might work.

Since the item is to be used around heat and flame, I'd avoid anything with synthetic fibers, which would melt and flare. 100% cotton will smolder for a long time, unless it is directly in the flame. Be sure that you use batting that says "100% cotton" right on the package. Warm & Natural is actually 12.5% polypropylene. That's the scrim that makes it possible to place quilting lines up to 10" apart.

Oh, and I think it is a good idea to tell the recipient to never put the item into the microwave. Sparks would fly!

• nassongrad_nh
    16 years ago

Avoiding synthetic fibers is quite impossible if you are using Insul-Bright. It is composed of polyester needlepunched through Mylar(a polyethylene). The 12.5% polypropylene content of Warm & Natural's scrim isn't going to make much difference one way or the other. Insul-Bright will melt and stick to skin if it catches on fire.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Darn. That's what I figured. I guess you can't avoid synthetics. I guess you just have to be careful. I've never set a potholder on fire, but I can imagine how a potholder could end up where it doesn't belong.

• D_Porter
    11 years ago

Our grandmothers did not have Insul-Brite. What did they use? Several layers of regular batting? Is there a simpler way ("the old way") one can make potholders?

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Sure - just several layers of batting to get it thick enough not to burn yourself. They used whatever was available, not synthetics which melt, usually cotton feed sacks.

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

nanajayne....the terrycloth hint reminds me of watching a cooking show. The chefs just grab a dish towel, folded, and get the pans out of the oven...... works for me too!

• Jill Rycroft
    6 years ago

I am making insulated table runners and hot pads using Insul Bright. Do you think I would be able to use fleece fabric instead of batting as the center layer? I plan to have the Insul Bright on both sides of the runners and hot pads so they can be reversible. Thanks for any suggestions, and thanks for the help I've read in prior posts as to how to layer the Insul Bright!

• loisflan
    6 years ago

Jill, many of the comments earlier in this thread above your post speak directly to your question. I don't have anything further to add having never made pot holders. Sorry.