Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisabc_gw

Basting Spray Brands?

LisaBC
16 years ago

What brands of basting spray have you tried?

What kinds of battings and fabrics has it worked and not worked on?

Does it give off lots of fumes?

Is the overspray on the floor easy or difficult to clean up?

Where can it be bought?

Thank you!

Lisa~

Comments (10)

• LisaBC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There is a very detailed test of basting sprays and report on this page:
    http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/articles/jaic44-01-003.html

I didn't read it all, but here is its conclusion:

"Fusible battings appear to be an acceptable commercial adhesive-containing product for quilts intended as heirlooms or for sale to collectors or museums.

"All the quilt-basting sprays, except Spray and Fix (505 - Lisa~), were associated with significant yellowing or strength losses following both shorter and longer periods of heat-aging and light exposure.

"Fusible webs, while acceptable for quilts intended to last for a lifetime, could not be recommended for quilts intended to be handed down from generation to generation or for studio art quilts intended for sale to serious collectors or museums."

Lisa~

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

505 does it for me. I have used it on both all-cotton and all- polyester batting and it worked fine. I put newspapers on the floor around the edge of the sandwich, so I never have anything to clean up.

• anjea
    16 years ago

I love 505, but it's expensive. After a recommendation, I tried Aqua Net (yes, the awful hairspray!) and it works great. You can reposition, it stays stuck, and there's no discoloration. The ingredients are also almost identical to 505...and it's less than two bucks for a HUGE can.

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what brand of spray I used..It was from JoAnn's and really did the job..But, it did have fumes and what a mess on the dining room table...I've learned, spread those newspapers and try to have a well ventilated room....

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I think the hair spray idea is interesting. How easy is it to clean up and does it wash out of the fabric? How does it work for hand quilting? I have used june taylor's brand, it worked but expensive, messy, and has an odor. I mostly pin baste. Jayne

• coalaska
    16 years ago

I use Sullivan's. One can has done 3 quilts so far... repositionable, stays put, a little smelly, but not overwhelming... I clean my wood floor afterward with (eep!) Clorox wipes and then wood cleaner/polish. I use it as an incentive to clean my floor...don't know how much cleaning is *necessary.*

I will definitely consider the AquaNet when this can is empty--great suggestion, Anjea!

Cheryl

• User
    16 years ago

I've used 505 (internet order) and Dritz (Joann's). I felt both did the job equally well. Dritz was cheaper, especially with the 40% off coupon.

I think next time I'm going to experiment with Aqua Net.

I have no delusions that any of my quilts will ever hang in a museum.

Dianne

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

I've used June Tailor's. I think it was from JoAnn's--not that crazy about it. I'm definitly going to try that Aqua Net

• anitastitch
    16 years ago

505 is my favorite spray adhesive. I googled "Spray adhesive tips for quilting" or something like that, and found a lot of really helpful info on that.

• anjea
    16 years ago

I haven't had issues with it washing out or leaving odors/discoloration. It doesn't take much, either, it's great!