Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Batting Question

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 15:57

I am not new to GardenWeb, but this is my first time posting on this forum. Previously, I kind of stuck to the knitting forum and the Kitchen Table. But I need your help, friends.

I am going to make a reversible fitted tablecloth for a small table (3.5 feet by 3 feet)- kind of like a fitted sheet. To give it some substance I am going to put batting between the two layers of fabric. I bought 100% cotton batting. The paper that comes with it says that I should pre-shrink it. It can't be put in the washing machine. I bought 2 very wide yards ('cause I can't buy just a little bit of ANYTHING) and I can't imagine how to handle such a large piece by hand, so I suppose I would have to cut it a few inches larger than I want it to be all the way around. How much can this stuff shrink? Is it really enough to make a difference? I've already pre-shrunk the fabric.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Batting Question

It should say on the packaging what percent it will shrink. The ones I've seen at the store hardly shrink so I don't prewash them. But if you have something that says it should be pre-washed, I wouldn't know about that. (How's that for being a big help.)

o
RE: Batting Question

Hi, Donna! I pop into the knitting forum occasionally.

I put my mop bucket with a little water in it in front of the dryer, push the batting down into the bucket a few times to absorb the water, then put it in the dryer. That seems to get it damp enough to preshrink it.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here