Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buteau3rd

New cutting devise

buteau3rd
10 years ago

I just got a new ruler with the rotary blade attached and wondered if anyone else had any experience with it...it is a fiskar.
Also, do you use the measurements on the mat or the ruler. I have always used the ruler measurements, bu now it seems awkward.

Comments (10)

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I've had it for years... since at least 2005! It is great for keeping a straight like, but I prefer the control that a separate rotary cutter and ruler give! I dropped it on the floor one day and the ruler part broke and I bought a new one immediately. I like the foam strip on the bottom, it really keeps the fabric in place. I was having a lot of touble cutting accurately so I talked to some other quilters and they said to never use the lines on the mat to measure. Once I stopped doing that, my accuracy improved dramatically! It is cumbersome to use for cutting squares because it's so bulky and heavy and you have to move it so much, but it's great for cutting strips wider than 1 inch.... any smaller than that and the rail that the cutter rides on covers up the measurements.

It won't completely replace your ruler and rotary cutter, but it's a great additon to your cutting artillery! Have fun with it!

Is yours like this one?

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I have no experience with your new Fiskar tool, but in answer to your other question, I always use the markings on the mat. I have heard that they may not be accurate, but why would the rulers be any more accurate? My ruler markings and my mat markings line up perfectly. I can certainly see as the mat gets worn that the lines may be hard to see and could cause a problem. The mat could also warp, I suppose. But rulers get worn too. What do others do? I can't imagine cutting without using the mat.

• calliope
    10 years ago

If I am contributing to something where my blocks will be mixed with those of others, I use ruler measurements, but for my own quilts, I use the grids on the mats. It really doesn't make that much difference when they all will be cut consistently on the same mat, since they need to match up with each other and don't have to be any particular finished size. I sometimes have to fine tune the seam allowance on the machine to make sure the points are sharp and a hair's breadth off could show.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I do mostly ruler, but sometimes the mat is just more convenient. The fellow who runs our local quilt shop says if you always use your mat you usually wear it out in one spot.
    Never thought about how my ruler could be off too. Most of mine are about 20 years old. Some have chipped corners or marred edges.

LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I check the true straightness of my rulers every year on National Quilting Day as the edges can be worn down by the rotary cutter. The mat lines and ruler lines may line up, but the edges of the ruler can make it off if it's worn. I use rulers and also markings on the mat but mostly rulers.

I have not used this ruler/cutting tool so can't help you with that.

SharonG/FL

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I am cutting lots of strips, I think I will use the mat lines...It is easier to just pick up the strip I just cut and not have to pick the ruler up to do the next one. What I really like is the ease of not having to put any pressure on the cutter, you just slide it...I guess I AM getting weak in my old age!
    Also, no slipping and cutting myself!

• karpet
    10 years ago

My DH bought me one of these for Christmas years ago and I LOVE IT! At first I thought I would only use it to cut strips, but I've used it for all my cutting - except when there are over 4 layers (it does not go through thick layers well)- which I rarely would cut more than that at a time. Fiskars discontinued them so I bought another on clearance and keep it for when my first one wears out. I am so glad to see they have brought it back! I'm not sure why these cutter/rulers did not catch on the first time they were out, but I love mine and would highly recommend them to any quilter!
    Karlene

• procrastinator
    10 years ago

Good information. I picked one up second hand a few days ago and will probably try it this weekend.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I haven't used that one either.

I line my fabric up by the measurements on the mat and then use a ruler to cut and I use the same ruler for accuracy.

For strips, I love the June Taylor Shape Cut! I love being able to cut about 6 to 8 strips at a time. The only inconvenience is the have to be 1/2 or an even number of inches, no 1/4 etc.
    Rosa

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

I've used it, mostly for bias strips. Should use it more since it is quick and easy.

I too was warned about not using the mat grids; more importantly, don't use different brands of rulers on one project. Your eye won't see the possible 50th-inch difference in one piece, but it will show up in the finished project especially those that have a multitude of pieces. Also watch out on clear rulers: thickness of the acrylic and the angle you look at the markings matter.