Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Jelly Rolls

ritaweeda
10 years ago

I came across two jelly rolls and a charm pack that someone gave me and I forgot about them. Has anyone ever made something with this combination? Did it come out OK? And finally, was it fun?? Also, this fabric isn't anything I would ever buy but hey, it's free. I did see that woman on the Missouri Quilt site make a quilt from all jelly rolls, she kept sewing them end to end then cut them to length and sewed the rows together, not really crazy about it but it's creative.

Comments (11)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

There are a lot of gals on the 123 crosstitch bd that have been making those jellyroll quilts that you are speaking of.They say they're easy and good for a quick quilt.I havn't done any yet,but lord knows I have enough fabric to make quite a few of them from strips leftover from other quilts..

I havn't been over here for awhile as I do more cross stitching these days than quilting.
    Kathi

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I don't think this was made with the pre-cuts, but the pattern would work. Border the charms with the strips, then sew them together. Left over strips can be used for a piano key border.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Blushing quilt.

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I have made a few quilts from jelly rolls. I have several books with patterns for them. There are a lot of free patterns at the Moda Bake Shop. I made three baby quilts from one jelly roll and two panesl to give to the grands for Christmas.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda Bake Shop

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

The braid quilt I posted in the 'are you quilting this weekend?' thread was done from a jelly roll. I cut my strips narrower to fit my braid template, but you could adjust the size of the template to fit the roll, too.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rita, Here's one I made with jelly rolls.

SharonG/FL

• ltlfromgardenweb
    10 years ago

The Jelly Roll Race Quilt IS fun! I made one and once I'd completed the first part, sewing the strips end to end, I stretched it out from room to room to room just for fun to see how far it would reach. Then kind of like GeezerFolks I added applique for interest, though mine did not turn out nearly as nice as hers. :-)

I love the Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorial videos. She has a new one about making tote bags/reusable shopping bags from a jelly roll. That might be a useful gift..?

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fastest quilt top I've ever done!! It turned out being 50 by 66 inches. I want to put a framing border around it, but there are so many weird colors not sure where to go in my stash for it. Definitely not something I would want to keep but it would make a good charity quilt or a give-away to someone who took a fancy for it. The part I did have a problem with was the strips were so long and kept twisting up, the lady on the website never mentioned any tricks for keeping that from happening.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

There is a great pattern from KariePatch Designs called Block Buster that I just bought that can be made with 2.5" precut strips. The strips are made into blocks that are then cut into quarters and rejoined with sashing strips. I can't wait to try it. I have a jelly roll of bright batiks that I plan on using.

Here is a link that might be useful: Block Buster

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I don't know what this pattern is called, but I made it using a jelly, a charm and a little extra yardage that I cut into strips. Very fast and easy and I liked the results.

The centers, made from the charm pack, are either 4-patches or 2 strips; then the jelly strips were used around the centers. A little white sashing and some cornerstones from 2 of the jelly strips.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, last night I was working on it feverishly putting on a border, I was tired but determined to piece an entire top in one day and I was on the LAST border side - got to almost the end and said "what the #%#$" - I had sewn the last border onto the wrong side to another border. That's what I get for being so cocky. Now it's ripping, ripping, ripping time.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Rita, I know just how you felt! You get so close to finishing you have to just keep going. And because you're tired, mistakes happen. We've all been there and feel your pain.

Careful with the ripping and it'll take you no time to get that last border where it belongs! Can't wait to see what you did with your charms/strips.