Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Block #5

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

Our next scrap block is called Shooting Star. It's a very easy block and goes together quickly, but can make a very colorful and delightful scrap quilt.

We will make one 12-inch (finished) block in this lesson. You will need:

9 squares @ 4 1/2" each background fabric (BG)

18 squares @ 2 1/2" each various colored fabrics for the star points (SP)

To begin, take 1 4 1/2" BG square and 2 2 1/2" SP squares.

{{!gwi}}

Mark each small SP block on the wrong side with a diagonal line from left to right.

{{!gwi}}

Align the SP small square with the top right corner of the BG large square. Sew on the line you marked, then trim 1/4" from the seam.

{{!gwi}}

Press the trimmed corner out and repeat with another small SP square in the opposite corner.

{{!gwi}}

Press out the second corner.

{{!gwi}}

Make eight more units like the one you just made. Chain piecing will help the work go fast!

{{!gwi}}

Arrange your 9 units so you have a pleasing color contrast of the Star Points:

{{!gwi}}

Sew the units together by rows, press alternating the rows, to make one Shooting Star block that measures 12 1/2" unfinished.

{{!gwi}}

You can turn the block around to slant the star in the other direction if desired.

A quilt made of 4 blocks across and 4 blocks down will measure 48" x 48" before you add any borders - a nice size for a baby quilt.

Here again is a baby quilt I made - challenging myself to finish it in one weekend - which I did!

{{!gwi}}

I love this Smokey Mountain Star quilt at Quiltville.com!

You see that you can use different backgrounds to make a quilt that sings. You could even use various neutral beiges for scrappy backgrounds or many WOW fabrics for a scrappy white background.

Comments (24)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Teresa, I've been wanting to do this pattern.....now is as good a time as any! I think I need a wall with the pattern of everything I have going pinned to it!!!!

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Teresa, Thanks so much for doing these scrap block tutorials. I am really enjoying them. You are also doing a fabulous job.

Fran

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

These are great Teresa. I am making notes of each one for the future.
    Thanks, Linda

• kasapa
    16 years ago

Hi Theresa,
    I have been following along with the scrappy blocks and appreciate your tutorials. I have never done the fifth one and am anxious to try.
    Thanks! We all appreciate the time you are putting into this project.
    Kasapa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Teresa, If I keep my stars kinda bright and TOT, is my background fabric tooooooo busy??????

{{!gwi}}

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not in my opinion, Sharon....what matters most is are you happy with the background?

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I agree Sharon even though you didn't ask me. As long as the stars stand out (which yours do), I think it looks great. We are trying to use up scraps right??? If you have to buy something to go with it, it defeats the purpose.

• noocha
    16 years ago

Thanks so much Teresa! Great tutorial & love the blocks.

Sharon, yours looks great. Not too busy for me.
    Linda

• chrizty
    16 years ago

nother great one!
    lol teresa's makin me wanna do to many at one time! lol

n your turned out great too sharon! love those colors for it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Thanks, girls......Ok, I'm goin' for it!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Sharon, I like it. As long as one fabric is busy and the others calm it works.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Teresa,
    Look at the differnce it makes when you use a light or darker color for the center.
    It looks like a different pattern.
    I can't make this until after christmas, but I did save the instructions.
    Rosa

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

this is a wonderful pattern, and I think all the samples are really good...I think there are lots of ways be creative using this pattern. I can see a 'fun' baby quilt as well as one for someone with a special hobby being used in the center.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Here is my version of the same quilt as Teresa posted. This is my DS's quilt. Super easy to do! Rebecca

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Rebecca, That's beautiful! I love black and brights.

SharonG/FL

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Rebecca,

That's just STUNNING! Easy to do, really? Looks complex at a glance.

But I would like to take a minute to say a couple of things. While I'm swamped w/ ongoing quilts (& am job hunting too), this design is definately on my mental list of things to do next (or soonish)! It's especially helpful color & designwise to see a number of interpretations of each of these related designs. Inspires so much color thinking for me, I especially appreciate this kind of thread! Thx to all for sharing!

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I like this better, heres my latest. I am so happy when other post theirs. Jayne{{!gwi}}

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Thank you Teresa for this wonderful class in making scrap blocks. Your instructions are so precise and detailed. I do hope a solution is found to preserve the classes for future reference. You have done such a great job. I am having a hard time just to get samples done of each and it will be the New Year before I can make a whole quilt. Your sample quilts are just stunning and it's hard to decide which one to make, but it is a lot of fun to try new things.
    Jean

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

I've made a few more blocks and have found I must be a bit teched in the haid! I'm sewing all those cut off itty bitty triangles together!!!! After all, they ARE scraps!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more variations of this quilt found on Quilterscache.com:

This second one has always been one of my favorites.
    Teresa

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Teresa,

great instructions :) This is the block I picked for my bday blocks this year--I'm going to direct the Off-kilter quilters to this post. Thank you!

Cheryl

• fidgement
    16 years ago

I'm new to this forum and decided to give this block a try. I had previously purchased Pam Bono's Angler 2 at Joanns with a coupon, but hadn't used it as yet. I got it out to do this block with and it really works great. I'm going to put together a Christmas table runner with this and will post a photo once I get it together. Thanks for doing this!

• love2sew
    16 years ago

BTTT

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Wow I love that Smokey Mountain quilt too and have seen it before and scrolling through here I thought -- what could possibly be more pretty? THEN I saw Rebecca's bright on black. NICE!!!! Love the border too.

This pattern looks pretty easy too -- would be a great one for a charity quilt where you want to make something really nice but don't have a ton of time for an intricate pattern.