Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Boxed Squares

ritaweeda
13 years ago

Has anyone out there ever done that quilt? It was referenced in a recent post on scrap quilts. That quilt keeps haunting me, it looks easy. If anyone has done that one, how did it turn out and did you put borders on it or what kind of binding/quilting pattern did you use? What kind of fabrics/colors? Just being nosy since it's peaked my interest.

Comments (15)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I'm making a baby quilt or throw as an example for my scrap class. It's very easy to make; I think I've made 8-12 blocks so far. I'm making the blocks scrappy, but sticking to one color family per pieced box and a lighter square in the center. I'll also include a few "negative" blocks, where the boxes are lighter and the squares are darker.

Photos will follow on this thread when I am able to get them.

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Yippee Teresa~I can't wait to see the pictures :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I've seen this concept used in a sort of free form, too. Have a medium/med light and a dark square (10" or so). Make a 'slice' a few inches in from each side (can be varied), swap the middle piece and sew together. You have a negative and positive....This is AWESOME in deep sea shades of Batiks.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    13 years ago

I made this quilt last year. VERY easy.
    I would post a pic if I knew how.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of photos of my Boxed Squares blocks:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I have found it helpful to cut out 4 blocks and pin the strips together and leave them by my machine. Then, when I have a few minutes free, I can sit down and sew them quickly.

Teresa

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

This photo is a little over-exposed, and I've shown it before. But I just love this quilt. It's all done in batiks, and I did use just two fabrics for each block.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Teresa, Great idea to have the pieces by the machine ready to sew. Could also be used as leaders and enders. Nice looking scrappy blocks!

Mary, Lovely quilt!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Mary, your quilt is lovely and would fit in many bedroom decors.

Teresa

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Here's one version with a double box

• fran1523
    13 years ago

And another

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I love all the squares. Good use of left over fabrics, too.

Robbi

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I love all of them and Mary's setting it on point just gives us more ideas. Thanks for showing us. Teresa, the scrappy look is a great item for your class and will work well.

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Yeah, I'm a sucker for on-point settings, LOL!

On my boxed squares quilt I used overlapping circles for the quilting - I was trying out my circle making tool for the longarm machine.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• patce
    13 years ago

Like all the squares & double squares.Has anyone done the quilt that uses boxed rectangles & squares....all of diff sizes? I understand how to make the blocks...but not how they're put together.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I started sorting through my scraps yesterday, looking for already-cut strips in the size I needed. Then I ironed them and started going through the fabric stash today to find more. I've almost completed cutting and sorting by colors and values what I picked out. I really like that circular quilting pattern that you used, Mary C. I might do that. I think I'll stick to doing them with only 2 colors per block, but haven't decided if I'll stick to the same color family within each one. I really like the batik one in that website but I can't afford to buy those, I'm using my stash, only a handful of batiks in it.