Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap Quilt Class - Block #4

teresa_nc7
16 years ago

Our second string-pieced block we will call Crazy Strings.

You will need:

an 8" square foundation (muslin, paper, interfacing, etc.)

assorted pieces and strings of fabric

fabric glue - optional

Start with your 8" square of foundation.

{{!gwi}}

For some of the blocks you may place a bright print or solid roughly in the center of your foundation, right side up. A bit of glue stick helps to hold the center piece in place.

{{!gwi}}

Stitch assorted scraps and strings to the foundation working around the center scrap.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

When the foundation is completely covered, trim block to 7".

{{!gwi}}

Finally, stitch/baste around the block about 1/8" in from the edge to secure the edges and provide stability when removing the paper foundation if using.

{{!gwi}}

And another scrap block is completed!

These Crazy Strings blocks look great set on point with plain 7" squares and setting triangles in a read-as-solid or marbled fabric.

Source: "Spectacular String-Pieced Quilts: A Pattern Book" by the editors of Traditional Quiltworks and Quilting Today magazines.

Comments (13)

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

I like this one a lot !!!

• chrizty
    16 years ago

me too :) i was goos do class 2 but i like this one better!!
    i started one tonight, its so easy! i always thought crazy quilts looked to hard to try lol
    thank you teresa!

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Teresa, I love these scrappy quilts. Hope DH gets the printer fixed so I can start a book. Just one quick question, can you use old dryer sheets for this? How about color catcher sheets, are they too thick?

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

I save every small scrap and I do want to make a crazy quilt, along witj a zillion other LOL!!!!!
    Thanks for the tip about basting the finished square. Great instructions and pics.
    Rosa

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beverly,
    If the dryer sheets are the right size I think you could use them just fine - on the other hand....with this block, size doesn't matter so much, you could make the block 7", 6" or 5" just as long as you trim all the blocks to the same size. Start your block with your foundation 1" larger than what size you want it to end up being.

I do not know whether the color catcher sheets would work as a foundation or not. Sorry.

Teresa

• chrizty
    16 years ago

heres my first block, i had so much fun making it!
    {{!gwi}}

a few things i did diffrent was i pined the fabric down n did a bast sew on the under fabric. i hand sew so i realy didnt want to use glue as its hard to sew through when it dries n gets hard. n i dont have paper so i used a old cotton t-shirt for the foundation, n i did sew the top fabrics. should i sew the tops better cause i didnt use glue?

• chrizty
    16 years ago

oops! sorry you did stitch not glued it, lol dont know why i thought ya glued it all together, i should takes notes instead of depending on my memory! lol

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

My efforts, I try to remember I am learning. Jayne{{!gwi}}

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jayne and Crizty - your blocks look great! Good job!

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Teresa, I have made lots of these blocks without a foundation. Are the quilt police going to come after me? LOL! I always called them mile minute blocks.

• chrizty
    16 years ago

wow jane thats awsome! great job! love how ya got the butterfly in the center

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Thank you. I was pleaed to see you posted your block. It is fun to learn something new don't you think? That butterfly is from some very wild fabric that I fussy cut mostly. I posted a picture of the quilt I made with it earlier. IT WAS BRIGHT!. The fabric has hearts and 4 leaf clovers on a black back ground. Jayne

• love2sew
    16 years ago

BTTT

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living