Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Weekend quilting plans? Nov. 23-24

msmeow
10 years ago

What's everyone working on this weekend?

I put borders on my tiny tree quilt the other night. Layering and quilting are top on the list for the weekend. I also need to make a couple of blocks for a group quilt.

Other than that, I'm just waiting for Bonnie Hunter's mystery to start next Friday!

Donna

Comments (17)

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I have been going over my shopping lists for Thanksgiving. I couldn't find turkey oven bags in our small town and I mentioned it to DH. I went to jury duty a town over and stopped in there and bought 2 boxes of 2 bags each. DH had gone shopping while I was in jury duty and surprised me with 4 boxes of 2 bags each. Let's see, since I normally cook a turkey once a year and I now have 12, how many years will it take me to use the turkey bags lol!!!!!!!

I am finishing up a pain in the butt Velcro on a towel wrap for Christmas and embroidering 2 placemats and then I'm cleaning my sewing room.

I need to wrap some Christmas gifts to go back to Florida and 1 bday gift for the Thanksgiving party so probably no time for sewing.

In the evenings I have been playing with my bluework snowmen for a Christmas quilt.
    Rosa

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Rosa - next year you won't remember where you put all those turkey bags!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

HAHA Rosa!!! I imagine the 'kitchens' could use them.

Woohooo...leaving in about 45 minutes for Orlando. Meagan's college chorus has a concert in one of the downtown churches and I get to go!!! woot! woot! Tomorrow, DH has a friend from Wisconsin stopping by (with his sister) to check out his model cars....I don't know if the sister sews or not so don't know what that will entail for me.

Almost all the blocks are sewn together for Abbi's DH and the Cabin Warmer is about 1/3 quilted. It's larger than what I like to handle but am taking it in short spurts as my wrists start to hurt with the turning, etc. Would like to at least get Chris' top ready for borders and maybe up to the borders quilted on the Cabin Warmer done this week-end.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sharon, enjoy the concert! If you feel like coming back in a couple of weeks we are having our Christmas concerts here at church. :)

Donna

• calliope
    10 years ago

No quilting-related projects until the new year. I cut up some fabric samples I bought years ago into 10.5 squares for a project I'm planning down the road a bit so they'd take up less room when stored. I think my next quilt may be a flannel one with much of the design made up of my father's quilted shirts I saved when he passed away. I think my daughter would love a small quilt made from these, to wrap up in when she reads or works on the puter. It would be like him wrapping his arms around her in a big hug each time she used it.

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I spent the day quilting a queen size row quilt for my quilt group. It was a group quilt. That can be difficult with about 10 people making blocks but it was wonderful to quilt! We have been making quilts for about 12 years and this was the best one yet!
    I loaded it on the frame this morning and started quilting after lunch. I finished taking it off the frame at 5:30 this evening. So happy to be finished!
    Linda OH

• jackier123
    10 years ago

After working 16 hour days all week, I am going to stay in the house and putter in the sewing room all weekend. I have a quilt on the frame and several other projects going on, so I will probably just go from one to the other and work on them all. I have enjoyed this year with my quilting. I said at the beginning of the year that I was just going to quilt for me or stuff that I wanted to quilt and I have gotten a lot done. I actually did make some gift quilts this year, but nothing that I felt rushed on. I have to work Monday and Tuesday but then I am off for 5 days, so I also plan to spend that time in my sewing room.

Jackie

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I prepared the pattern and ironed the fabric for one of the aprons tonight, as well as worked some more on the depression blocks. Tomorrow I will sew the apron, as it is a gift and will be given to the little girl I mentor on Monday for her birthday.

I also sewed together, (sort of) a block for the December Lotto. It felt good to get so much done.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I always wonder what you all do for a living. Jackie, I can't imagine working 16 hour days all week.

I have the apron done for my little mentee and I cut out two more blocks for December. I had scorched some fabric, so I soaked it in vinegar. I haven't looked in the dryer yet to see if it is OK.

The funniest thing I did was cook the Thanksgiving turkey. No, it wasn't the plan. However, my fridge was full so when I brought it home, I set it on the screened porch since it was freezing out. However, once the dog realized there was a turkey on the porch, I guess it didn't matter it was frozen, she wouldn't stop whining at the door. So I moved it to the hood of my car in the attached garage, which I figured was cold enough to keep it frozen. My husband took my car to gas up and brought the turkey into the house. When I came downstairs I discovered it had totally thawed in the garage. I am so glad he brought it in. This was 3 1/2 hours ago and I just took it out of the oven. I'll dismember it and freeze it and heat up in the gravy for Thanksgiving. I just hope it doesn't turn out dry, we take our turkey very seriously at Thanksgiving.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev, when I worked for a plant nursery I usually put in 12 hours in the office and a few at home at night, 6 days a week, from Jan - April, which was our busy spring season. I also worked at least 5 hours every other Sunday. After a couple of seasons of that I decided I didn't want to be in the nursery business any more!

Now I work at our church and typically work 37-40 hours a week. We also get a squillion days off a year! LOL I am off Wed - Fri for Thanksgiving like Jackie.

We'll also be off Wed - Fri for Christmas. We work Christmas Eve (very big night for our church - we have 7 services on the 24th and 3 on the 23rd!) so they give us Christmas and the day after as our holiday. Since those fall on Wed & Thur this year they decided to give us Friday, too.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I work in the IT field. I am in a special projects group that deals with any projects having to do with the end users of the computers in the company. We have 35k+ employees so that is a lot of computers. LOL I also teach part time at ITT Technical Institute in Chattanooga, TN. This quarter we lost a lot of instructors, so I have been teaching 3 evenings per week and a 4 hour class on Saturdays. This past week, I subbed for another instructor that has been subbing for me while I have been away on business trips. So after working all day at my regular full time job, I go to Chattanooga and teach. I teach computer programming, networking, database management, IT security etc. So basically I have been leaving home at 6 am and returning at 11 PM.

Jackie

• loisflan
    10 years ago

My daughter and I took the Blowing in the Wind quilt to our quilt shop. She choose medium grey thread for the front and a greyish lavender for the back (the backing is pale grey). She wants closely-spaced waves on the background (just like the designers suggested, Marsha), and something random and angular in the colored bars. We bought a light cotton batting which we prewashed to minimize shrinking and puckering.

I managed to get one November and two December lotto blocks finished.

I hope to get some time later today to work on the Chinese coin quilts. They are really coming along.

I also need to plan Thanksgiving dinner. My sister and her husband are coming in from Madison, Wisconsin, for the weekend. There will be 12 for dinner. I have to work only Monday-Tuesday this week, so that will be a help. It would also be helpful if I got over this cold. Don't you just hate it when you have so much to do, and then you get sick too?

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

Still working on that posy quilt (it doesn't have a real name); I figure I'm about 1/8th done with piecing the top. This may set a record for the *longest* under-construction quilt, but I'm only spending a couple hours a day on it.

Looking at the hours y'all are working, I am SO GLAD I'm retired :)

DH and SIL are doing T-day; just close family coming. I'm bringing a green bean-tomato side dish and homemade yeast rolls. I usually do one standard version and one 'different' version of rolls. Last year's different was a fifty-year old refrigerator-rise which were pretty good. Last spring I found a neat recipe using a boiled potato, set the clipping aside and now I can't find the clipping. I may spend the rest of today looking for it instead of sewing.

Temp is 30* outside with wind-chill in lower teens, expect similar tomorrow. I'll do more sewing and no leaf-raking then :)

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Jackie, those are long days! We are about to change software at work so our IT Manager is working pretty much full time on getting everything set up. We just hired a part time temporary IT assistant to do the day-to-day things. He works for the public schools all day then comes and works for us for four hours in the evenings.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I work for a financial investment firm, but my regular week is 3.5 hours. Yes, you read that right. However, I am a "floater" so I can get calls from a number of offices and I may end up working 40 hours in a week, I just never know. The great part is I can turn down hours if I don't want to work that week, or if I didn't like working in a particular office. I know, the perfect job, but every office I work in has been great so I always take the hours if they call.

I hoped to get back to quilting/sewing today, but between church and small group tonight and pie baking in-between, it didn't happen.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I didn't get one lick of sewing done over the week-end! Not. one. stitch. and today doesn't look to be any better. I have errands that need to be done!!!!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

We had Thanksgiving lunch with all my family at my parents' house Saturday. Sunday I did laundry and packed for upcoming RV trip. Today the high here was 39 - 40*F and at 3pm we had already gotten 3 inches of rain for today and it's now almost 8pm and it has not stopped raining heavily all afternoon and tonight, I am confident my 5" rain gauge is overflowing, but I am not going out in the rain to empty it. Happy we don't have ice though. Hope everyone has safe travels during this week.

Best to you,
    Sandra