Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

OT - This is my retirement day!

loisflan
9 years ago

I'm sitting here in my office with nothing to do. My desk top is clear and my drawers are empty. I've taken the pictures off the walls. My retirement party was two weeks ago - 100 people at a local country club. Today, the festivities start at noon. Our office staff is having Chipotle for lunch. Then at 2:00, all the company employees are gathering here for cake. At 4:00, a bunch of us are heading over to a bar for happy hour. It's been a great 42 years here in the very same office where I started in 1972. I was not quite 28, and I'll be 70 on Sunday. Wow! What a ride! I've shed a lot of tears lately, and I'm sure I'll shed some more today. If people just stopped saying such nice things, I could keep myself in better control.

Oh, well, on to my new life with lots more time to quilt. And more time to travel. And more time to spend with my husband and grandkids. Life is good.

Thanks for listening. Lois

Comments (20)

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Congrats on retiring! Hope you enjoy your day and your future having more time for family and quilting.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Congratulations Lois!
    It is not too often nowadays that someone can have that long experience with the same employer.
    I wish you all kinds of good luck and enjoyment in the next phase of life.
    Theresa

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I'm so happy for you, Lois - and quite envious as well. I wish you many happy hours quilting and enjoying your family.

Teresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, Lois, I am GREEN with envy! Congratulations! Just think how much sweeter your trip to Hawaii will be this time. :)

Donna

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

How incredible. 42 years in the same office. Wow. Can I ask what you do?

• amazingcm
    9 years ago

Congrats on retiring!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Dratted double post....sorry.

This post was edited by gmatx on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 16:20

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your retirement. It is really amazing that you have spent 42 years with the same employer. That is something to be proud of and for your employer to be proud of you for being so loyal. One door closes and others open. Enjoy your retirement.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Lois, you are going to wonder how you had the time to work once you get started! You can look forward to being out on your sailboat on those rare warm days knowing you won't have to wait until getting out of work. Rainy days you'll be able to stay in and sew.....all day long if you want to. Good times.... I hope you have many years to enjoy your retirement.

I'm so glad we were able to meet!

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    9 years ago

Lois,
    Congrats on your retirement! I second what Sharon says, you will wonder how you had time to work. Hopefully you will join us at camp Cheerio next year.

Enjoy your retirement!
    Sue

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

The Happy Hour part sounds like fun. Pat yourself on the back, and sleep in Monday morning.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I'm very happy for you, Lois. 42 years is quite an accomplishment. No wonder you are being so wonderfully feted. I hope to you have a long and very enjoyable retirement!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Well earned celebrations! Before you know it you'll be do busy you won't know how you ever had time for a job. Enjoy!
    LindaB/CA

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I imagine after 42 years your coworkers are like family. What a bittersweet moment for you. But there is a new adventure ahead of you and I suggest you take Sharon's advice and really enjoy it.

beverly

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Oh my! 42 years is amazing, but to be in the SAME place for that long?? Awesome. Congrats...and I hope that retirement is even better than working!!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Congratulations! You've been looking forward to this special day for a long time. You deserved all the fan fair and attention your company showered you with these past few weeks.

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! and Quilt! Quilt! Quilt! :~)

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

A time for reflection. As Beverly said, a bittersweet moment, happiness looking forward and mixed emotions looking back. If you loved your job as much as I did mine there will be a period of adjustment but there is so much to look forward to that doesn't take long. Enjoy the moment and much happiness for your future years on the new path ahead. Congratulations.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Lois! Congrats! You have certainly earned this retirement. 42 years with one company is an extraordinary record. I know you'll miss them and I bet they won't know what to do without you!

Kate

• fran1523
    9 years ago

Best wishes to you as you start on this new exciting chapter of your life. I hope it's as rewarding as the last 42 years have been.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your kind wishes.

To answer mntrdredux's question, I worked for a local real estate development firm. We developed, constructed, owned and managed apartments, condos, shopping centers, hotels, office buildings and industrial properties. I started as the secretary-receptionist and retired as vice president. I had a lot of room to grow, much autonomy and an employer who believed that I could do almost anything and if I could't, he knew I would find someone who could. It was a great career.