Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maritime_linda

seam ripper

maritime_linda
11 years ago

Does anyone here use the Lee Valley one and if so what do you think of it? Or does someone have their own personal favourite they'd care to share?

Comments (19)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I do not have this particular brand, but I like Clover. Have also been using the one TG/Linda gave at the retreat a whole lot lately.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I like the Dritz ones from Walmart. They have a nice ergonomic rubber/plastic handle. They allow you to get a good and comfortable grip so it does not slip in your hands when ripping out a difficult seam.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I've never heard of the Lee Valley one, but I looked it up and it looks really useful. I bought the pink Dritz one at Wal-mart that has the rubberized grip... it isn't very sharp and it is clumsy and way too big for ripping small stitches... I just use the cheap plastic one that came with my sewing machine. I try not to rip if I can avoid it... lately, I've been sewing everything with a 5 millimeter stitch length and seeing how it looks, and then going back and resewing sewing it with a 2.5 millimeter stitch length if I'm happy with it to make ripping easier if it is necessary.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has tried to Lee Valley one to know if it is a good tool....

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

I use the Clover white one....some days more than others....
    like the idea of using longer stitches then re-sewing with shorter ones if the seam is right.

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions, ladies. Lee Valley is a Canadian mail-order house so I guess that's why most here wouldn't have heard of it. Their merchandise is usually very high quality. I had heard that the seam ripper they sell is good, but was hoping I could find someone who actually had one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seam ripper

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Guess what... that seam ripper is the same as the surgial blade we used to use on tonsils...way back when. I believe it was an #11. They developed disposable items. I had a few and they were very sharp.
    What they are offering are the same item.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I like my old white clover, but the u shaped area is getting dull. Don't know if I could ever use the one you're talking about now without thinking of it cutting into my (missing) tonsils ;-)

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, I used that same "Seam Ripper" in the pathology lab 35 years ago, LOL.

Seriously, that style works really well for ripping out serged seams. It doesn't work as well for a single line of stitching.

I have three Clover seam rippers, at different sewing stations (sewing machine, long-arm, ironing board). I like the design.

I replace them every year or so.

People - they get DULL! They cost $3.95 at the most. Buy a new one! It's a necessary tool, and it's cheap.

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, gee, so we're talking surgical instruments! Isn't that something. Sounds like a lot of people like Clover, so I'll have a look at it. It is for a stocking stuffer for a quilter, so Mary, it sounds like it would not be that efficient for the big price tag.

Thanks to all for your input. I appreciate that you took the time to respond.

Linda

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

The "scalpel blade" seam ripper is available for under $5.00 with a plastic handle. My friend who owns a Sew N Vac loves them - but she sells embroidery machines and I think she uses them and sells them for ripping out embroidery stitches. They would be great for that purpose. She told me her husband the tech and repair guy LOVES them for cutting away thread and hair off the beater bars in vacs he services.

I personally prefer the cheapie, small handle, small 3 1/2" Dritz - $1.99 at Joanns.
    I use the larger seam rippers for heavier duty sewing.
    My rule has always been to match the blade to the stitch length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seam ripper

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting a link Marsha! Adding that to my Pinterest pins on quilting supplies.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• chickadee__3a
    11 years ago

Haven't been here for a while but lurk regularly. Lee Valley is one of my favourite stores. If you're ever in a city that has a store, Linda, be sure to go. Everything is high quality with very helpful, knowledgeable staff. As far as the seam ripper goes I bought a set of them. They come in a set of 2. One for ripping seams and one for picking out stitches. The handles are long, flat and thin (a little thicker than a popsicle stick). My fingers are quite arthritic and I found the thin handle uncomfortable to use so, sorry to say, I went back to my old cheap one. Hope this bit of info helps.

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chickadee, I've been to the Scarborough Store and have had people pick up stuff for me in Halifax as well. You're right, their products are always top quality, that's what made me think the seam ripper would be good. Maybe the picture is showing the one for ripping out seams. To me it looked like there would be a strong chance you would rip the fabric. Perhaps the one to pick out the stitches would be more what I'm looking for.

The only problem with Lee Valley is the high S and H, so I need to give it more thought. Thanks for your input.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I still use the one that came with my sewing machine for small jobs and for long seams I use a moustache trimmer. Works great, cuts the thread but not the fabric.
    I have friends that use the Lee Valley seam rippers and love them...I guess it what you get used too. I do know the Lee Valley ones are very sharp. I also have friends that use a rotary cutter to seam rip...scares me to death just watching them.
    We have a Lee Valley store just down the road (15 min) so if you want anything it might be cheaper for me to mail it to you? Let me know.

Mary

• maritime_linda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gosh, Mary, that's a very kind offer. I appreciate it and will keep it in mind. Good Heavens, I can't imagine using a rotary cutter!! That would require nerves of steel and a very sure hand....dont' think I'll be trying it!!

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I can't wait to have a seam to rip out now... I can just imagine sitting there with my Whals (actually I think my clippers are Andis) buzzing away the thread! OH what an idea!

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Do not try the hair clippers! I just cut into a binding with that little experiment! I was going to take it off anyway because I wasn't happy with it, but now I have to repair it! Back to the old fashioned method...

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Do not try the hair clippers! I just cut into a binding with that little experiment! I was going to take it off anyway because I wasn't happy with it, but now I have to repair it! Back to the old fashioned method...

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Vacuumfreak, I have been using a moustache trimmer for seam ripping for years with no accidents. If you used hair clippers it is possible that the blades are too big to work on thread. I have had to take borders off of quilts before and my little moustache trimmer does the job quickly.

Mary

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?