Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

November 2010 Monthly Block Lotto

User
13 years ago

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner. If you live outside the US and would like to make other payment arrangements, please email the moderator.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month. The coordinator's address is:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner may choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list.

Our block this month is Squash Blossom on the Quilter's Cache, chosen by quiltpartner. It makes an 18" block, and Cindy asks that it be made in golds, rusts and browns with a tan background. This is an unusual looking block, but appears to be pretty simple in construction. And the colors are perfect for this time of year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Blossom on Quilter's Cache

Comments (50)

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Oh, I like this one, good choice Cindy. I'll be sending some in this month.

beverly

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Sign me up for one, please.

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

I am going to get going on this one early! I will let you how many after I do 1.

Mary

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Sign me up for 3, please. Is there any color preference? If not, I think I'll make mine with Christmas colors....unless there objections.
    Marge

• salijo
    13 years ago

They've asked for the colors to be golds, rusts, and browns with a tan background.

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

My apologies, salijo....in my excitement over winning, I didn't finish reading the whole thing. I just re-read it and there it was...all the info!..guilty.
    Marge

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Let me see if I have the fabric for this one. If I don't have to make a trip to the store, I might be able to do this one.

• calliope
    13 years ago

How tan for the tan? Does ecru or natural muslin count? Can it be a light print or does it need to be solid? I like the block and have enough fabrics for all of them, but it'll depend on what is acceptable for the background fabric. Should we keep the innermost design the darkest so it pops?

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Calliope,

Tan, ecru, natural muslin would all be fine, IMO. Light prints are good if they're not pastel. Remember, we're thinking autumn here. As far as the inner fabric the darkest, I would try for that, as the pattern shows. But if others have already reversed it - speak up! - & then we could go either way ?? - Kate, what do you think??

~Cindy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just took another look at the pattern, and agree that the darkest fabric should be the center pieces. They add an accent to the block.

I also agree with Cindy that any tan, ecru or natural muslin would look fine.

So now we have:
    petalpatsy 1
    grammyp some
    buteau3rd 3
    tuppermom some
    lafonda ranch maybe
    kay_in_pa some, not sure how many

Lots of interest here, and with the large size of the block, even a modest number could make a very nice quilt!

As we start to work on it and figure out how many we'll be doing, please post so we can keep a tally on the prize!

Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

Well, I'm going to fool around with a block today to see how it goes together before I commit. I really like the ideas Cindy has about the fabric choices......it should make an impact as a quilt and looks like a fun block to make. I did a quilt a couple years ago

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Pretty good, if you can either fiddle with one of those outside points or accept a 1/8 inch seam.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I started on mine this evening and got the pieces all cut, the HSTs all sewn together and the rows and columns ready to sew but I'll wait until the a.m. to do that and see how it looks. If I manage to get all those seams!!! accurate so it sizes up within tolerance, I'll commit this month.

It went just swimmingly until I got to the last few HSTs and I found out I had my count wrong. LOL. Uhm........I tore apart five huge plastic bins looking for just enough fabric for one more HST because I was 1/2 inch short. When I didn't find any, and I couldn't remember using this one before, I decided to look through my crumb bag (just in case). A miracle happened because I found a piece big enough to use. You don't even want to 'go there' with my crumb stash because most quilters would throw pieces like that away. But I do a lot of crazy quilts and you never know when you are going to need a crumb.

Then when I went to make it, I was short one HST of the background material. I am using ecru osnaburg and would you believe I normally have yards of it and I had to repeat the five bins and crumb stash again and had the same results. I found a piece big enough to use.

So.........I figured I'd better not push my luck any farther. I'll be fresh tomorrow.

BTW..........nice pattern choice and love how big the blocks are. Twenty of them would make a huge quilt.

Petal Patsy.........like your block.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Thank you, Calliope. It's a production at my house, too! I had plenty of fabric, but I try hard to get things right and I never can quite understand why my blocks aren't perfect. LOL! My 16yo DS asked me, "Are you alright?" and I had to admit I was stressed out. He was somber for a moment, and said "You're stressed out...over quilting?...?...?" I laugh at myself every time I have to remind myself to BREATH while I sew on that machine. A very strange idea of fun!
    I laugh at my son, too, when I hear him squealing and screaming "Kill it! Kill it! Help me! Aagggghhhhh!" This is some multi-player online game called League of Legends he plays every night with the mostly the same team of pals. They also have international tournaments with stable teams, and he watches the games just like grown men watch the Superbowl.

We are such a pair.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Patsy, that is too funny about your son. Mine ds is only 9 and yells at the computer when he's playing as well. I keep reminding him it's only a game and sometimes it is the computers fault (slowness from being on-line). I think he plays that same game, but there are some others he gets equally frustrated at as well, LOL!!

I can also sympathize about the stress of perfection. I'm afraid I'll have to stand in that line as well. Being a fairly new quilter that can also be frustrating.

Back to the block at hand.....

I tried cutting mine out last night and I'm short on fabric for the background. I'm going to try an make it by the fabric store so I should be good for at least 1 square.

Robbi

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Petalpatsy, I love your block! The dark pieces in the center really provide a nice accent.

I think a lot of us are relative beginners at quilting, even though I've seen some posts by folks who have sewn for a living their whole lives. Thank goodness they can provide us a resource!

I'm still trying to get that SCANT 1/4" seam right, since I got a new machine this past summer. It must have half a dozen different directions for settings for 1/4" seams.. different feet, needle positions, etc. I'm still trying to find the right combination that gives me the "Scant" part.. my blocks keep coming out 12-1/4" instead of 12-1/2", it seems, no matter what I do!

Kay

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Hi all!

I don't have a big stash and quite often don't have the colors requested. But as it's my day off and I just finished a table topper with this colorway, I put together this block for the lotto. There is some green in the main print too so if this isn't appropriate, let me know and I won't send it. Otherwise, I am in for the one block.

Dee

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I like it! Send it, just because I say so. ;D

• calliope
    13 years ago

You can put me in for one too, Kay. Finished it a little while ago.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I love it when folks who enter the lottos stick pictures on of their completed blocks. It inspires me to give them a try because I can see in my mind's eye what the jackpot is going to be for some lucky winner. So far we are getting a full range of the browns and golds and rusts and this one could either be very autumn like or go 'southwest' with the proper borders. Faintheart your's is beautiful.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Oh good! I'm still like a five year old showing off her crayon pictures. It's a shock to me that I actually turned one out. :)

I like the gold, Calliope! It makes me want to go back and check my stash for good golds. I scrubbed my gas stove grates today, though, and I'm exhausted. Three hours and four SOS pads to turn them back to gray--why didn't it just come with black grates???

• carolnv
    13 years ago

Hi! I love the colors chosen for this block, so I'm jumping in with feet first and will send one block! Just finished it and will send out this week.

I was nervous about participating, my first block lotto. I'm always lurking and reading and sometimes responding, but never participated.

When you receive it, and don't think it's good enough for the lotto, let me know, I won't be hurt! Gotta start somewhere and this is the start for me! Thanks, Carol

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

What pretty blocks!! I'm headed to the fabric store this afternoon to get more of the cream background fabric (I hope they have the same one!!). Anyhow, I'm sure I'm good for 1.

Robbi

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

Welcome, Carol! I'm glad to see you--I've been the newest newbie for a good long while so I'm happy to have some more newbie company.

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

I have one block cut out and ready to be sewn together. I will try to get a 2nd done tonight between Glee and Good Wife (lol). I am headed stateside tomorrow and will mail them there....alot cheaper and faster.

• grammyp
    13 years ago

I have 3 blocks ready to hit the mail tomorrow. I really like this one.

beverly

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Two blocks done and will mail them tomorrow. I am going to try and get another one done and mailed before the end of the month too.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, lots of nice, big, beautiful blocks!

Here's our count so far:

grammyp 3
    petalpatsy 1
    tuppermom 2
    buteau3rd 3
    lafonda_ranch 1
    faintheart 1
    calliope 1
    carolnv 1
    kay_in_pa still not sure how many*

Total: 13 + however many I manage, probably 1 for a total of 14 blocks promised.

*We just took in 2 rescue equines, a mule named Maude and a Shire (Viceroy) who was an Arlington Cemetery caisson horse, so my sewing room time has been VERY limited this week. Still need to see what time frees up by the end of the month!

Kay

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Sorry I've been MIA lately! Have been SO busy --- can't seem to get online much. So...I was finally able to cut & sew a little tonight, have 3 cut out & one block sewn together. I do like this block a lot! - & would love to make an entire quilt w/either the fall colors or Christmas as Marg suggested awhile back. Good idea! Marge - maybe we'll remember this one for later next year in holiday fabrics (maybe Christmas in July?!)
    Going to check the other threads & see what else ya'll have been up to!

~Cindy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Calliope, your block arrived in yesterday's mail. I love the gold print.. it really IS just about the color of a squash blosom!

Kay

• polardream
    13 years ago

I told myself I didn't have time to do this ... we just got back from a cruise and I had a list of reasons why I couldn't do it ... then I cut out one, then another!

Put me down for 2 blocks!!! :-)
    I will mail tomorrow.

Sue/polardream

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue/polardream got 2 blocks done last night!
    We're up to about 16 blocks!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tuppermom and carolnv,

Your blocks arrived on Friday, I just hadn't had a chance to post their arrival. They look great. And no, tuppermom, there isn't too much green in the pattern on yours. It looks like that subtle, fall green that's just trying not to give up, not like bright spring greens, totally appropriate!

And everyone, I know the size on the individual block was large, but you wouldn't believe HOW LARGE they look when laid out together! Everyone is doing a great job, and they all blend beautifully! What a prize this month's winner will be receiving!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue/polardream, your blocks arrived yesterday. I really love that rust paisley!

Kay

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Mine will be in the mail tomorrow. I do love making and using hst's! Unbelievable how much you can do with them!
    Cindy, I love the idea of "Christmas in July". The winner then has time to put it together before Christmas

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buteau3rd and faintheart, your blocks arrived today. These blocks all look fantastic together. What a huge, beautiful quilt they'll make!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kay,

My blocks went out Sat - you should be getting them by tomorrow. I'm not scheduled for children all week - except the DGS Thurs night - Fri. (So their parents can go Black Friday shopping:) Hopefully that means I can spend some more time here w/you all & some sewing as well. THAT would be nice!!
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!! One & all!!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grammy P, your squash blossoms arrived today.That deep red is especially going to compliment the tones on some of the other blocks. What a terrific quilt top this will be!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I'm headed to the post office now to put my block in the mail. Good luck everyone!!

Robbi

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Thanks for letting me know they arrived. You never know. Next year I am not participating in any birthday swaps. It is going to be the year to work on things just for ME. I do plan to participate in more of the lottos.

beverly

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just did my "almost end of the month" check. Only missing squares from 2 (and Robbi, I know yours are en route). Then we'll be ready for the big drawing!

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The mail just came, bringing squares from Robbi and Petalpatsy. So, we're now complete, a day early! Quite a feat with so much going on this time of year.

I'll be having cataract surgery tomorrow and making the almost 3 hour trek back to Baltimore on Wednesday for my post-op check. (And going through this again next week for other eye). Anyway, with all the blocks here and accounted for, I'd like to do the drawing this evening.

I plan to be online around 7, and since I'd like to be a possible winner, I'll need some assistance with the drawing. I'll check when I get online to see who's available to draw a name.

What a beautiful bunch of squares these are!
    Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you almost ready? See the link for a picture of the lotto prize!

Who's available to help with the drawing? I need 2 people, please. I'll send one a list of the entrants and that person will assign each block a number from 1-18. The second person will choose one of those numbers once Person #1 says he/she is ready.

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: November Squash Blossom Photo

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had some help with the drawings, see other thread that requests volunteer assistance for details.

The winner of the November Squash Blossom Bonanza is.........
    Buteau3rd! Can you believe??? Two months in a row!

Congratulations! Hope to get them in the mail tomorrow.

Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

Oh wow, what a beautiful prize this one is. It screams Southwest to me. They all go together so beautifully, and it's one I was crossing my fingers on. Congrats to Buteau. That's a whole quilt there, lol.

• polardream
    13 years ago

Congrats to Buteau! I hope you enjoy your beautiful prize!
    Sue

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Cannot believe this luck!! I had never entered any of the lottos until I met Cindy at the retreat and she encouraged me to send in the squares. I guess I was always worried that they wouldn't be good enough. I am still awed by some of the work that I saw at the retreat. The retreat also was a first for me. Wonder why I waited so long, a wonderful experience for me. Looks like I 'll be making a quilt!
    Next time I'll send the three blocks, but opt out of the drawing. BUT, it sure was fun!...........Marge

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Congratulations!! I hope you'll share some pictures of this when it is all put together.

Robbi

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Buteau! We would love to see some pics when you get it finished.

Thanks for the pic of the blocks, Kay. It is always nice to see the collection. Perhaps it will inspire more of us to join the swaps.

beverly

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Oh! Marge! I'm so glad you won! & very happy you took my suggestion to join in the swaps:) They are definitely addictive, as you've discovered! I finished the yellow (Sept? I think?) except hand stitching the binding. I'll be posting a pic soon - I need to review the tutorial on how to do it. Tried last week & couldn't get it. If only the procedures for all these things were the same from one venue to the next it'd be easier for us old people!! lol
    Same for the credit card machines at checkout - why are no two stores alike?? Crazy!
    Well enjoy your blocks! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

~Cindy