Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt begins

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

Is anyone doing this latest mystery quilt? I am taking a workshop with her next year - can't wait :). This mystery quilt is featured in her new book to be released in 2012, so the directions will not be posted past April 2012 for this quilt.

I don't have enough scraps or enough time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Quilt

Comments (15)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I haven't finished her mystery quilt from last year! LOL But I will probably follow along and save the steps.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I'm saving the steps too because I've always wanted to do one of her quilts and I like her inspiration picture for this one, but I have to admit I'm daunted by the huge numbers of pieces her quilts require. I know, I know; her only rule is "No whining" and I'm dangerously close to that, right?

Maybe 2012 will be my year to really sort my stash into colors and start doing the leaders and enders. I have a lot of fabric in my sewing room but nowhere near enough for the variety of her beautifully scrappy quilts. If this mystery starts to look really interesting I might have to start buyng FQs of blacks and neutrals whenever I see them!

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

LOL Kate, I hear ya about the number of pieces! One of the steps from last year was making 600 HSTs!

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am taking a workshop in Feb (?)given by Bonnie Hunter, and I am very worried about having enough scraps to get thru the day ~LOL. I am going to order her book early and see what it requires. People bring tubs of fabrics to workshops; it will be interesting to see how much they bring to this one!

I agree- her number of units scare me away.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting this Marsha!!!! I love her patterns and I save the mysteries too.

Making that many units at a time is hard for me too. I guess that's why I like samplers so much.
    Rosa

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Oh my...I think I will sit this one out...I've done 4 and I think I'm over my "Scrap" phase. She is a motivational speaker and down right nice person.

If you have 10 minutes to watch her explain her system, it is well worth it.

Enjoy!
    Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: utube of Bonnie Hunter's scrap organization method

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I also wish I had the time, but will pass. But you guys have posted some great things to read about!! I hadn't heard of Inklingo. I will be checking that out. And the triangle tips, the video...... Yeah!!

Thanks,
    Robbi

• calliope
    12 years ago

Good on you to make it to one of her workshops. That being said, I'd run from one screaming because of all the little triangles. LOL. They are just beautiful, however, But I think my patience factor would be shot before I'd have enough blocks to make a pillow.

I am sure you'll walk away from it knowing a lot of wonderful tricks and techniques you can use on other quilts. I think doing a mystery quilt would be fun and sort of a painless way of making a quilt because of the anitcipation factor. One day, maybe I'll jump in there and do one..........but not this one. ;-)

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is getting really tempting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery #2

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I've printed out the instructions on heavy cardstock and put them in a ring binder. I have a feeling this could be the Bonnie quilt I make!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I don't think anyone from this forum was participating in Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt this year, but I thought you might be interested in the finished products.

In some color combinations this could be pretty, but I don't think I really like it in the colors she initially chose. Too busy! Some of the ones made with greens, golds, and blues are much nicer (in my humble opinion).

I want to do one of these mysteries one year but glad now that I didn't choose to do this one!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished quilt pictures (not mine!)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I'm getting close to finishing Bonnie's 2010 mystery! LOL I like this one much better. I've been saving the steps, so maybe next time I decide I want to make a quilt with a squillion tiny pieces I'll start one.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

"...squillion tiny pieces..." - Exactly! I'm just overwhelmed with the number of pieces. Any instruction that starts out with "Make 245 half square triangles..." scares me! but I saved all the instructions from this year too because I want to make one of her quilts. Browns and blues, I think, instead of all these reds, whites and blacks.

Please post a picture of your 2010 Bonnie!

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I decided to save Orca Bay and see it first...now if I want to make one smaller I can. It's really busy! :) The only challenge would be recalculating the pieced borders.

I'm hoping to finish piecing Roll, Roll this weekend. I have the center done and the pieced borders together, just need to cut the inner border and the two outer borders I'm adding, then sew them all on! I'll definitely post a pic!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

When I first saw the block I thought 'yuk' lol, but after scrolling down I love the finished quilt!

Abouit half way through with the tiny pieces I start to lose interest, and then after half way I get really excited to finish.

Looking forward to the pics!!!!
    Rosa

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida