Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

Finishing a quilt for a friend (pic)

toolgranny
12 years ago

A friend has had to give up quilting because of cancer and age. She had this one group of 30 12" blocks left, made from fabric chosen by a GD. She'd never finished it because the blocks were so poorly made, no two the same size, and she'd left no seam allowance beyond the points. She asked if I could help with this one last project and told me to cut off whatever I needed to.

I brought one block to retreat and bought the border and backing at Mary Jo's. I got it finished up, put it in a washer and dryer, and I don't think any non-quilter will notice.

The back is actually a dark purple, even if it looks blue in this picture. Her blocks were various batiks and she chose the order they were to go. I'll ship it off to Oregon tomorrow and her GD will have it by Christmas. It easily fits a queen size bed.

Linda in Calif.

Comments (24)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Sad story Linda with a happy ending!!!

It looks beautiful to me, you did an amazing job! Looks like she chose a difficult block to make but I certainly can't see any problems at all.

Rosa

• polardream
    12 years ago

Linda, it turned out great! You are really kind to finish this for her and I am sure that her GD will treasure it.

Sue

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

How beautiful! Such a labor of love, Linda. You deserve another star in your crown. What a good friend you are! I hope the GD appreciates this special quilt.

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Linda, You sure did an awesome job of bringing it all together for your friend and her GD. I think the purple backing is also instrumental in giving it a look of togetherness. (you like my words? heh heh heh)

It must be my bad eyes, but the first thing I thought of when seeing the quilt was zippers! Has to be all those itty bitty HSTs.

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    12 years ago

What a beautiful story of true friendship. You did a great job on the quilt too. Lois

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I remember the block and the fabric Linda selected at Mary Jo's - the purple was the perfect choice. How nice your friend chose the layout! Really ~ another personal touch for her GD. Her GD will be thrilled.
    You are a good friend to finish this for her.
    It looks really pretty!

• lola99
    12 years ago

Well that was sure nice of you to finish your friend's quilt. You did a wonderful job.

• day2day
    12 years ago

That was so nice of you...glad you finished it for her and her GD.
    TFS.
    God bless your generous heart.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Linda, it's very nice! What a nice thing to do for your friend, and how wonderful that it's done while she can still enjoy it and her granddaughter's use of it.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

"Sad story Linda with a happy ending!!!" - exactly!

You did a beautiful job with it and I'm sure it will be treasured.

Kate

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

What a nice gift for both the GD and friend. What a treasure you are for being such a good friend by giving yours the opportunity to give her GD a part of herself to remember.I am sure it was a challenge that you made beautiful. TFS Jayne

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I'm sure it will always be treasured by both of them!

Good Job, Girlfriend!!!

• User
    12 years ago

What a wonderful labor of love. Your friend must be so happy to be able to give the quilt to her granddaughter.

You are a good soul, Linda.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That's a lot little, tiny hst's. No wonder none of the blocks were the same size, but you did a great job pulling it together. It looks great and you're right that no one but another quilter (and a fussy one at that) would notice the lopped off points.

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

The GD is a lucky girl to have a caring grand mother and a caring angel who , together made her birthday special. She will always treasure very special quilt.

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My friend has received this and was thrilled.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sweet...her GD will be so thrilled and cherish it forever.
    Do you know how old the GD is?

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

teenager and she'll make her own pillow case from the scraps I hear.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

That is so sweet of you, Linda! Through your efforts and expertise everyone involved was a winner! Including us...TFS

Gwen

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

It is especially sweet that it a gift for a teenager, who selected the fabrics and will also make a pillowcase ~ she sews!
    This quilt will keep her connected to her Grandmother.
    It is so very nice of you to get this quilt finished so beautifully.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

It's wonderful, Linda. You did a beautiful job putting it together.
    Jeanne

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I think it came out really nice. A labor of love, and I know her granddaughter will love it.

beverly

• salijo
    12 years ago

I'm sure this means the world to your friend to have this quilt to give to her grandaughter. Very thoughtful of you and you did a great job!

Salijo

• mzstitch
    12 years ago

I'm new to this board, just found it tonight, and seeing your post shows me I've found a great new place to meet some wonderful fellow quilters.
    the quilt is a beauty, and it must have been great fun handing it over to your friend all completed. Well done.