Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Blowing in the Wind flimsy

loisflan
10 years ago

It's not quilted yet, but here is my daughter's new quilt top. She absolutely loves it. She's been working so hard painting their bedroom walls, ceiling and trim. Their bedroom is the upper half story of an old bungalow, so it's quite a large space. This quilt will really look great there.

The colors are not quite true to life. What appears to be off-white is actually pale green.

Comments (12)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I really, really like it! I appreciate the precision piecing this required. What size did it end up at this stage?
    How do you plan to quilt it? You want your piecing to shine in this one. I love the modern, clean look.
    Your daughter must be anxious to get this one!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

My daughter would love it too! The colors look so soft and soothing, perfect for relaxing. I wish I could get excited about redecorating my bedroom. Maybe after the first of the year.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I love the geometry of it. It will be wonderful when done. I'll have to look up that pattern. Great colors.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Wow!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lois,
    Another modern beauty! Love it...:-)
    V.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I am in awe of the piecing!!!
    It is gorgeous.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I must say that keeping those panels running straight was a challenge. I measured and trimmed after I added every bar. One panel started getting quite a curve going, but I ripped out a couple of bars and got it going straight again.

Marsha, the quilt is 81 wide by 83 long as it is. I don't know how it should be quilted. The background is light taupe/grey with darker short grey lines running in every direction, kind of an explosion of short toothpicks. Some of the bars are solids, others prints and stripes. I'm afraid the quilt will shrink up too much if the quilting is too dense. My daughter and I are going to the quilt shop where we purchased the fabric to ask for ideas. It's a shop that specializes in modern quilting and they also do LAQ. I hope they can come up with something. Any ideas from forum members are welcome.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Lois,
    Read the blog I've linked below. Some really great info regarding quilting by Weeks Ringle. I haven't read it all yet, but this may help you.
    Your quilt reminds me of the game 'Pick up sticks'.
    Your color choices are perfect!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog featuring Weeks Ringle

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Pick-Up-Sticks ..... good one, Marsha!

Superbly done, Lois! Can't help you about the quilting, but there are plenty of people here who can. Plus, going to the quilt shop should be helpful, too.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Lois, I love it! Very modern and calming. I can't imagine how difficult it was to piece that and keep it even!

Kate

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's a really cute and modern quilt. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. After hearing how difficult it was I guess I'll pass on asking the pattern name though.

Well done!
    LindaB/CA