Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

finished pulling off plastic wrap

karpet
14 years ago

I completed all the quilting last night on the outside border of my current quilt where I marked the pattern on Glad press and seal. Then came pulling off all the plastic wrap pieces. It is strangely fun - kind of like popping bubble wrap! Now on to the binding!

Karlene

Comments (12)

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Please explain how you used this - I did google and read some. Would you use this again?

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is my second time using it and I really like it. (I'm sure this sounds horrible to those who mark their quilt tops!) The press and seal is sticky on one side, but not too sticky. I just tear off a piece long enough to cover the design, lay it down on top of the design and trace it with a pen. (I tried a pencil but it does not show up well enough.) Then I peel it off of my design (I've been tracing them out of books - it can stick to paper and tear a little bit so I'd recommend making a photocopy of your design and working off of that.) and I stick it on the place I want it on my quilt. The plastic is easy to pull up and readjust so I was able to set the spacing right to have the design go all the way down the border, saw that I needed to add in one more shape on my longer sides, etc. Then I go back and readjust my safety pins so they are out of the stitching line. (I pin baste my quilt sandwiches.) Then I do the free motion quilting and peel off the plastic. The needle perforates it and it comes off relatively easy - you can see any pieces left because they are shiny and they have the darkness of your quilting line. There are times where it looks like the thread has had the ink rub off on it - but that is minimal. Someone said to trace out the pattern with permanent marker and then it would dry and not come off on the thread. I just used ball point pen. There are only a few places where it was harder to pull off - when I had a longer stitch so the plastic wasn't as perforated, but I just pull slowly and I have not had any stitches pull up with it. I've only recently been doing fmq instead of sitd, and this is my favorite way so far to mark a top. I fully realize this is not a professional way to do it, but for what I do it's been fun and exciting.
    Karlene

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thanks Karlene ~ I have a better understanding from your description.
    Do you stick the marked Glad on after you pin baste or before? This sounds like a good way to audition some quilting designs before we commit to marking the quilt top. I have some books with designs, but I hate marking the tops.

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Thank you, Karlene!

Gwen

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Karlene,
    I have used P&S and I marked mine with the cheap washable children's markers I bought from the $ store.
    I like it better than trying to mark the quilt. My prob was getting the P&S from under the stitches I had to use tweezers.
    It was a baby quilt and I was afraid I would pull the stitches loose.What length of stitch did you use??
    Pics please LOL!!!!!!
    Rosa

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I put the design on top of my quilt sandwich that is pin basted already - then I just reposition any pins that are in the stitching line.

Since it is fmq - the stitch length depends on my skill! It perforates the plastic better with a shorter stitch. With the little pieces left, I just scratch with my finger nail and it has pulled loose fairly easily.

I'm sewing the binding to the back right now and will put up a pic when done.

Karlene

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, here it the graduation quilt - only 6 months late! In one of my posts over the summer, I mentioned that I was happy if a quilt turned out reasonably correct - this would be one of them. The original pattern was supposed to be an 8 pointed star, but due to an angle cutting error/design opportunity it became a 6 pointed star, which works - thus - reasonably correct!
    Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful:

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

It is beautiful - you should be pleased. What are the red things - confetti? can't tell on my computer monitor. That is a very large quilt to quilt. You did great - thanks for the Glad Wrap instructions - I am going to try it. I am sure she will love it.

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those are fabric roses - here is the tutorial I used:

Here is a link that might be useful: folded fabric roses

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful, I'm sure they will not mind at all that it's late.
    It is well worth the wait!!!!
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Oh wow to the roses! what a great idea!You really did alot of work on this. I agree - worth the wait.

• downsouth
    14 years ago

I have read a lot of good things about Glad P&S. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with it. Your quilt is beautiful. I love the colors.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz