Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Folded back curves pics

Posted by rosajoe (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 11:48

This is from a pattern by Annette Ornelas. I was given her book as a gift years ago and just now decided to try it. This is is not in her book, but after I played with the patterns in her book I was able to make the dragonfly.

The block is only 6&1/2 and with the double fabric to fold back and make the curves it is already heavy.

My baby sis loves dragonflies so this will be for her NEXT bday in November 2012. That gives me plenty of time to hand stitch the curves!

Plan ahead right lol!!!!!!!
Rosa
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: CurvesWithoutPiecing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Folded back curves pics

Very nice. Sort of looks like Cathedral Windows technique. Good luck, it looks like a winner. Jayne

o

That's pretty, Rosa. I have one of those turned back curve patterns...someday I'll get around to making it. I think you can machine stitch the turned back parts, can't you?

Donna

o

that's an interesting technique and makes a cute block. I'll have to try that one day.

Nice colors. Your sister will love it.

o

I have not tried the folded back thing and not sure I will but I like this block. Very clever! I'm a dragonfly fan too!

Kate

o

Yes you can sew them down with the machine but it is easier for me to sew them by hand.

It is like the Cathedral Windows pattern!

I'm going to mix up other blocks with this one for the quilt. It is time consuming and the pieces are small. AND the extra fabric makes it heavy.

I think this would be way to heavy for a full size quilt. Maybe that's why most of her patterns are wall size lol!!!!

o

Rosa, I made a good-sized cathedral window quilt once. I think it was probably double size, and all hand sewn. It weighed a TON! And when I washed it, it all came apart, so it went right in the trash. Haven't tried CW since. :)

Donna

o

OOh Donna! What a terrible story! All that work, just to have to toss it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here